Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

television...memories :-) etc
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: television...memories :-) etc Reply with quote

thought this might be a fun one...

I've two pals who are more-than-keen 24 fans ~ my daughter came across this:

http://www.notrly.com/jackbauer/index.php?topthirty

I thought Pal Pam was going to burst with laughter as she made her way through the list...

"Jack Bauer hasn't counted to 3. Ever"

fun fun fun...

my television at the moment, series wise, is The Eagle (Danish and beautifully made with a different director and writer for each episode); 'n my beloved Boston Legal...knock ma socks off stuff there....

The West Wing
The West Wing
The West Wing

that Toby character ~ I certainly took to him Smile

'n here's an interesting timeline:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_introduction_of_television_in_countries

Oz in 1956
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a thread for movies & books--is this really the 1st television thread?
My earliest TV memory was of course a kiddie show, Ding Dong School. I can see Miss Frances making something of clay--but it's very very vague, can't hear her voice or see her face. My big brother Johnny liked Crusader Rabbit, a cartoon.

And now I'm laughing about Madame's "24" list!
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooo, fun. I remember keeping time by MASH episodes. So two hours till dinner would be like waiting four episodes...I could relate to that.

Evenings all piled onto my parents' bed watching Hogan's Heros...I Love Lucy in the afternoon...The Honeymooners is still by far my favorite, especially "The Adoption".
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Muppet Show" was an early favorite. My parents didn't allow us very much T.V. time, but we never missed an episode.

An all time favorite is "Fawlty Towers". The image of Basil beating his Mini Cooper with a tree branch still kills me. "Manuel!" I guess I should put "Arrested Development" in this catagory also. Stupid FOX, cancelling the best show ever.....grumble, grumble.

My current favorite is "30 Rock". Well done, Tina Fey. It is a normal occurance when watching this show that I actually hurt myself from laughing so hard. It's Alec Baldwin at his finest.

"It's hot ham water."
David

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'm a child of the original Mickey Mouse Club. Annette and the gang! And who names their kid Cubby anymore?
Griffin

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a kids show here called the Double Deckers, which I remember. Then there was The Banana Splits which we watched regularly... We absolutely LOVED the Muppet Show. It was practically a cult show here. Also Monty Python which was bizarre and a giggle. I am the generation who quoted from Monty Python shows at school to each other.

I loved The West Wing, not as funny as Yes Prime Minister or Black Adder or even Father Ted, which was utterly hilarious and will, I am quite sure, never be shown in the States because of the resulting uproar from Right wing Christian groups. But it is fabulously funny. Still, I loved the West Wing's CJ Cregg and Donna... and the chat between Josh, Toby and Sam. A great cast and some superb scripts too.

These days, I love CSI: and the NY version too. I would happily watch anything with Marg Helgenberger in it. But the rest are superb too. I am also a beeeg fan of Desperate Housewives for the scripts and also... I am deeply in love with Eva Longoria... sigh!!
emilyj

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin, you have impeccable taste... I have all of the Yes minister episodes on DVD and I am considering getting all the Yes Prime Minister ones too. I also recently acquired all 5 series of Blackadder, although I love the one with mad prince George in it the best (I think its the third one). Love them both, they are hilarious.
'The Bill' always signified bedtime when I was a kid and its amazing that it's still on at the same time, on the same channel! I grew up mainly on playschool but when I was 8 I was allowed to watch 'Monkey Magic' the Japanese show with bad English dubbing. I'm sure that Tripitaka's voice dubbed by a woman- I thought he was a girl for years! It was rerun recently on the ABC and I was shocked at how violent it was- I'm suprised I was allowed to watch it.
Griffin

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admit it, my favourite Blackadder series was the Elizabethan one. Queen Liz the First as a spoilt brat was wonderful!! Tho' having seen Hugh Laurie as mad King George... I just can't quite take him seriously in House!!

Yes, I loved Monkey!! I recently got the book of his adventures and it was very funny and somewhat er, violent! But not anywhere near as violent as... The Water Margin! I loved that with all the heroes of Liang Shan Po and the drama of it. The Banana Splits used to have a French live action drama called 'The Flashing Blade' which was great too. I was very much into the Three Musketeers then so I wanted to be D'Artagnan... desperately!!! Laughing
charlsy

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin I'm with you on The Muppet Show, it was a blast in France too. And I have fond memories of a show which I guess was The double deckers. If it was about a band of kids whose playground was an old double decker bus, that's it.
And I second you on Father Ted ! I discovered it when it was on cable TV, it was just so funny ! I really loved it. English TV shows are often so witty and off-color, it's a hoot ! But I may not be the typical french audience, since I always prefered watching them in english... getting most of the jokes was a big plus ! I also loved Absolutely fabulous.
As for old shows, and childhood memories, I have to say The Avengers was one of my favourites. Even if one of the shows scared me for years ! And The Prisoner, and its weird, perfect white village.
As for french shows, I guess my oldest memory must be of a program called "Bonne nuit les petits" (good night little ones), that ran just before bedtime. It featured a big friendly bear with a booming voice, two kids in pjs and the sandman. All this in black and white. I actually remember the first time I saw a color TV, when I was 9.
Now I have to admit I'm more into US TV series, but none right now thrill me as much as some that have stopped, like X-Files, Buffy, or Friends. Though I admit to really appreciating Desperate housewives.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Griffin

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Avengers episode that stuck in my head was the one with the Cybernauts which reminded me of Dr Who - another favourite and it's back too! I remember a looong time ago watching on a tiny television the moon landing - 1969 I think. That was in black and white.

Yes, the Double Deckers was a gang of kids who played on an old double decker bus.

I loved the X-files and Buffy, but was never that excited about Friends somehow. Always felt like I was missing something. But I knew I wasn't when Desperate Housewives showed up.

I always wanted to be Gonzo in the Muppet Show... not sure what that says about me, but there it is!!
Erin

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Father Ted has had several stints on public television here and I love it. I was so excited to find the dvd's on Netflix.

I loved X-Files, especially the spoof episodes.

"It's hot ham water."
charlsy

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Avengers episode that scared the bejesus out of me was one were the bad guy dressed up as a big crow and climbed walls with his claws, which he also used to slash his victims to death. Gave me nightmares for months ! And judging from what friends told me, I was not the only one !

Thanks to DVDs, I am currently watching the entire Buffy saga. I just started on the 7th and last season. That show truly is one of the best written series I have seen, and has some of the most amazing episodes I have ever seen. Imagine a TV show that gives you both a silent movie and a musical, deals with such problems as tolerance, growing up, use of power, substance abuse, death and bereavement, all under the guise of a "teen series". Plus the fact that the heroine is a small, almost fragile looking girl, but with such power...

I do like shows with strong female roles, I admit. I regretted that Commander in chief was not given its chance. Geena Davis, what a woman !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Griffin

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Father Ted has had several stints on public television here and I love it.

Shocked I am astonished!!!! I am glad you get to see it, but I never thought for once that it would ever get a showing in the US without either severe editing or severe protest from the Christian Right.

I don't know what it says about Britons, but lots of people here loved Father Jack!!!

charlsy,
I don't remember that episode, I must have missed it... and now I'm sooo glad I did!!! Dr Who had me hiding behind the sofa, but that episode would have had me hiding under the sofa and staying there!!!

I loved Buffy scripts, they reminded me of the films of the 1930s, sparkling witty scripts. Wonderful stuff. Thinking AND entertaining telly.
Erin

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, over here public television and public radio are considered a liberal medium. I shouldn't imply that it is well known here. I grew up on PBS and living so close to Canada the BBC and CBC as well.

I do enjoy seeing Father Jack break a television, but I love Dougal. His athiest beliefs remind me of myself when I was a kid. I was a good Catholic, just didn't believe in all of that.

"It's hot ham water."
David

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razzle Dazzle! With Howie the Turtle!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: