Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Book Tour Events
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> The Chocolate & Zucchini Cookbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maureen

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Book Tour Events Reply with quote

Clotilde, it was a delight to meet you at the Book Cellar on Sunday afternoon. I am so glad that you came to my neighborhood in Chicago. The book was engrossing that on a ride downtown afterward I missed my stop -- and the two stops after it!

I made the Very Chocolate Cookies last night as part of a prize for the high bid at a fundraising auction. (Cookies every month for a year!) They are wonderful with walnuts and now I must go out in search of chocolate nibs for the next batch.

So many of the recipes look enticing and the photography is exquisite. My daughter put her eye down at counter level and said, "she must take the pictures from here." Smile
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a report on the May 19 booksigning lunch at Froggy's in Highland Park. As Chicago Bear lumbered into the restaurant, scattering terrorized patrons in every direction, he noticed a very young apparently French woman signing copies of her book. Wow, he thought to himself, this is the genuine Clotilde. After all this time. Having just watched the DVD of The Queen the night before, he knew that he should bow in the presence of royalty, but bowing doesn't come easily to bears, so instead, he bought a copy of the book and blushingly presented it for signature. Bears aren't easily charmed, but the whole event was terrific. Five round tables in the restaurant, a space reserved for Clotilde at each, and she worked her way around each of them as the chef served out creations he had prepared from, of course, the cookbook. One crusty old woman, who had learned to cook when Franklin Roosevelt was president, fixed Clotilde with a beady eye and said, as one might address a kindergarten class, how old are you anyway? She was shocked to learn that Clotilde is only 27 and that she took all of her own food pictures. She admitted to Chicago Bear later that her hearing wasn't very good, but that she loved the book. Afterward, Clotilde posed for pictures with everyone who had a camera, and announced that her goal for the next day--Sunday--was to find a genuine Chicago hot dog. The book, incidentally, is wonderful. The organization is first-rate, the pictures are marvelous, and the recipes inspire quick and purposeful moves toward the kitchen.
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But did she find a genuine Chicago hot dog?
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are things in life that are virtual certainties:
1. Really good musicians make less money than really bad politicians.
2. Men who are attracted to really cute women make foolish promises.
3. Genuine Chicago hot dogs were located yesterday by Clotilde.
We'll have to wait for her updated posting to be sure, but my bet is that it happened. And I'm also betting that she gets salmon in Seattle today or tomorrow.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a photo of a Char Dog from Downtown Dogs on Clotilde's moblog

Does that count as a genuine Chicago hot dog?

CB, thanks for sharing your booksigning lunch with us. Well, the experience, we wouldn't expect you to actually share your lunch with us!

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
robinorig

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cigalechanta-
I was wondering what Clotilde talked about at the French Library (in Boston)... if you could give a short synopsis! I went to the dinner the night before at Chez Henri which was lovely, but Clotilde ran out of time to visit every table. We got to talk to her briefly but were wishing that they had seated us at communal tables which would have also encouraged people to network with each other into a local food community as well as perhaps having more time with Clotilde.

I also hope that Clotilde will have another opportunity to come back to Boston when the weather is better!
http://www.robinoriginals.com/eats.html
femmebot

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi robinorig - I went to the Boston book signing and it was fantastic! We all sat theatre style in a small/medium size room with a projector showing some photos from Clotilde's blog... and other new ones I hadn't seen. She talked for 45-60 minutes (?? I forget - the time flew!), basically told the story of how her book came to be, starting with her experiences in SF, moving back to Paris, then the blog and eventually going through the different stages of the book creating process. Her love and passion for food was evident throughout the talk. Then there was a question and answer section at the end, most of which is the on the FAQ section of her blog.

After we went to another room where they had samples from the book: C&Z Cake, Raspberry Chocolate Cake, and Green Bean Salad with Pecans and Dried-cured Ham. All were excellent! There was also some wine and guests could mingle around the floor as they wanted. In between the two rooms, Clotilde was signing her book - however, I am glad I decided to have her sign my books before I ate - because her line was much longer than the one for wine! Wink)
robinorig

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

femmebot-
thanks for the great description of the evening @ French Library in Boston. I wish there had been a little more of a presentation in Cambridge, or that the publicist had structured the evening a little better. I was, unfortunately, at one of the tables that Clotilde had no time to visit with, even though we were there relatively early in the evening. I did talk to her at the door on the way out, so she could autograph my book, but by then everything was rushed and it was late. I wish I had been able to go to both functions!
We did have a full meal of Clotilde's recipes @ Chez Henri, and they were all excellent!

We started with chablis and various hors d'oeuvres including Tartine de Champignons au Cantal and a couple of others that I can't identifiy (one was like little slices of a mini souffle or frittata and the other was a crispy polenta like cracker with a topping).

The first course was Strawberry & Avocado Ceviche or Pistou Soup. My friend & I each got one and shared. Both were delicious! I love the combination of the strawberries with the avocados and fish, it was so refreshing.

The second course was the Green Bean Salad with Pecans and Dry Cured Ham. For such a simple dish, it was fantastic, all the flavors enhanced each other very well!

The Main course was either the Lamb Tagine with Pears & Almonds or The Flemish Beef Carbonade, both served with sides of Couscous, Mashed Potatoes with Anchovy and Zucchini with Olives. Again, we got both main courses and they were both delicious. I especially loved the combination of the pears and almonds with the lamb.

Dessert was individual Chocolate & Zucchini Cakes with a candied zucchini slice, chocolate garnish and a zabaglione cream(not in the book, was added by the chef). I could see the cake going well with creme anglaise as well. I loved the candied zucchini as well.

I will definitely be making some of these dishes and others from the book. I love Clotilde's creative use of contrasting flavors that are otherwise simple but elegant and delicious! I've been a longtime fan of her blog since sometime in late 2003 or so. I don't even remember now how I first found the blog! I'm looking forward to more of her wonderful posts, now if only I had more time to cook! Wink
bluedog

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the delight of meeting Clotilde at last nite's Seattle event. It was a lovley recipe/wine pairing at a small wine bar. The setting was informal, more like a cocktail party than a book signing. Clotilde was as charming as one would expect, and we got to hear stories, hints, andectdotes and opinions on all sorts of topics from the kitchen to the economy.

Our menu (recipes from the book, wine chosen by the host):
Tuna and Green Apple Mousse
Carlos Basso Rose, Argentina
Strawberry and Avocado Ceviche
Torre ORia Cava Rosado, Spain
Twice-baked Potatoes with Anchovies
Arnoux et Fil Cotes du Ventoux, France
Mint and Fava Bean Frittata
Huber Hugo Gruner Veltliner, Austria (my favorite)
Chocoalte Raspberry Cake
Auinta de BOns Ventos, Portugal

The weather was miserable, but today is better, and moblog indicates she is seeing a bit of our fair city today. Seems to me that she will enjoy the sights and tastes of any city she finds herself in!

And I must add that she is so proud of this forum. We talked quite a bit about the courteous, yet passionate dialogue that goes on here. Well done, everyone!

And now I must leave you to indulge in my first recipe from this gorgeous book! I just happen to have the ingredients for Green Bean Salad with dry cured ham and pecans. Will be lovely with our left over Zuni chicken.
mandysu

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: UW bookstore signing Reply with quote

I'm so glad I managed to tear myself away from the lab a bit early yesterday to go to the signing. It was lovely to meet Clotilde (and the goodies to nibble were definitely a bonus!) I am definitely going to have fun with this cookbook. Smile
robinorig

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: re: Seattle booksigning dinner Reply with quote

I would love to have been able to go to the dinner @ Impromptu, as I also love Shauna's http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/ blog... thanks for the menu! I can't wait to have time to cook from Clotilde's book! (I'm also waiting for Shauna's book to come out, even though I'm not glutenfree. I found her blog by researching glutenfree for a friend).
David

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just cannot express my envy!!!! lol Very Happy
Donna

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David - get on a plane and come on down! I'll take you to the ferry building in SF on Saturday for the signing! We'll meet Lilia there, also!

Bring the smoked fish and aioli!! I'll crank up the espresso machine! Laughing
bainst

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
i just cannot express my envy!!!! lol Very Happy

You can't express your envy! Evil or Very Mad I'm greener than my uniform. I just can't decide if I'm more envious of the company and discussion or the food?!
David

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna--wouldnt that just be the coolest!!!!!! And I'd love to meet Lilia---and I'd love some Dungeness crab on Fisherman's Wharf! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> The Chocolate & Zucchini Cookbook All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: