Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Spicy Roast Chicken

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjgibson

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject: Spicy Roast Chicken Reply with quote

My first contribution to the blog -- read it faithfully and have replied to a couple of posts but I have never submitted my own original post. Hello and add my congrats to Clotilde on her book.

I found this recipe on another blog ... cannot remember its name ... apologies to the blogger but C & Z is the only blog whose name I routinely recall Smile

This is one of those recipes that is more method than recipe -- you can vary the herbs or toss some olives or capers in after the chicken has roasted. It is very easy and tasty. Great for a busy weeknight meal. Double the proportions and you have roasted chicken meat for a couple of days. Its also a good dish to use up cherry tomatoes that are just a wee bit "tired."

First time I made this, I brought it to a friend's new home to christen her kitchen. I tossed the brined chicken breasts (1 hour in 1/2c kosher salt per qt of water) in a 1 gallon sized plastic bag with all the rest of the ingredients. We just tossed it in a pan to cook it in Mimi's new oven. I used oregano and rosemary in place of the marjoram and we served it over orzo.

Spicy Roast Chicken
Serves 4

24 ounces whole cherry tomatoes (about 4 cups), stemmed
1/4 cup olive oil
5 garlic cloves, pressed
1 1/4 teaspoons dried crushed red pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh marjoram, divided
4 bone-in chicken breasts (10 to 12 ounces each)
Salt and freshly ground pepper

1. Heat the oven to 450 degrees. Toss the tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, crushed red pepper and 1 tablespoon marjoram in a large bowl to combine.

2. Place the chicken on a rimmed baking sheet*. Pour the tomato mixture over the chicken, arranging the tomatoes in a single layer on the sheet around the chicken. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Roast until the chicken is cooked through and the tomatoes are blistered, about 35 minutes.

3. Transfer the chicken to plates. Spoon the tomatoes and juices over the chicken. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon marjoram and serve.

* The pan height matters -- the low sides of a sheet pan allow the hot air to surround the chicken and brown it. If you use a saute pan, which has higher sides, you may need to use convection if your oven will do it or roast a few extra minutes to brown.
David

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to hear from you kjgibson! And spice and chicken---how could one go wrong with that!
gingerpale

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both this Spicy Roast Chicken, and the Zuni chicken we've mentioned, are roasted at high temperatures--450F+ (232C+). Roasted uncovered, the skin gets nice and crispy.
Today I'm trying this instead:

http://chocolateandzucchini.com/archives/2006/10/le_poulet_de_muriel.php

It's Le Poulet de Muriel from Clotilde's blog archives. She did it in a covered cast iron pot--300F (149C) for 3 hours. I see from her picture that the skin is beautifully brown, which amazes me since there is so much steam and such a low temperature involved!
I will report on my results when they become available...and eaten.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to say I will definitely be making Le Poulet de Muriel again. The flavor is equal to the wonderful smell your kitchen has while you must wait for your dinner! Effortless to prepare, I did uncover it, turn it up to 375 degrees for 10 minutes or so at the end to brown it a bit more.

kjgibson, I did not mean to steal your thread! --we've had I think 4 chicken dishes mentioned here in the last few days (including yours, the Spicy Roast Chicken). I'm gonna try that next--I'm a great believer in brining.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: