Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

A good idea or gimmicky?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: A good idea or gimmicky? Reply with quote

This caught my eye because of the name of course, but as I read the ingredients and method I became increasingly disenchanted! Does this sound as if it could be nice? Ever see anything similar?

http://www.soupsong.com/rsolid.html
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had chilled consommé in about 20 years! I had forgotten all about it. Used to have it with a squeeze of lemon juice and a dollop of sour cream in the summer. Very refreshing and tasty. At that time, when my kids were little, it was just a matter of putting a can of Campbell's in the fridge in the evening for lunch the next day.

This sounds very similar but with a lot more panache. If you have the right occasion over the summer, give it a whirl. Could be surprising as I don't think consommés and aspics have been in fashion for quite a while. And I would imagine it would be very pretty in glass servers. ...especially those Bodum vacuum glasses that make things look like they're floating inside.
Nicki

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no no no no! What a lot of work for something which is probably vile! If you're going to consume a lot of calories, you may as well have proper food!
Barbara

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds gross.
Raven

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About a thousand years ago I married into a family living in one of the most exclusive suburbs of New York City. My (then) mother-in-law used to put things like this together--combinations that were considered very chic at the time.

I think this, from the website, says it all:

(a favorite of socialite Marylou Vanderbilt Whitney)
gingerpale

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(I looked up Marylou for fun-- she married a 32 year old tennis champ at 71!)
Raven, were any of the mother-in-law concoctions any good?

I like so many "retro" things, but cream cheese stirred up with what is basically beef Jello--hmm, not sure.

I do know chilled consomme (not the jellied kind) is good with vodka and a twist of lemon!
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any 'Black Books' fans out there? This soup thing reminds me of the scene where poor Manny was preparing food for the cafe ...Bernad sceams "Where are the turrets?" from memory Manny came in with soup...

remember a little while back when food was tall? Wink

although off topic, if Dylan Moran (Bernard) is travelling through your city, highly highly highly recommended! my jaws were aching from laughing so much...
Debbie

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Books.... thank you Madame. Haven't watched them in ages. So hilarious!!!!

Hmmm, cold soup.... I like the idea, but it just feels wrong somehow.

If anyone tries this please post. Have to say I feel the same as Nicki. I want more bang for my buck! Laughing If I eat calorie laden I want to taste and feel that I have eaten calorie laden... and not just on my hips a day later Wink
David

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really really think I'd prefer the tin of Campbell's consomme chilled in the fridge and served with a squirt of lemon and a dollop of sour cream. I have trouble imagining what the "solid soup" would look like---well I can imagine I just can't get by it!
Raven

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerpale, my XMIL was actually a pretty good cook in some ways. She did a good leg of lamb, for instance, and her veggies were not bad. But she could not bake -- no breads, no cakes or even cookies, unless they were from a mix -- or maybe she just didn't want to learn. (I was brought up to bake, so that was something I noticed.)

As for concoctions, most have passed into the most remote compartment of my memory (hey, I told you it was 1000 years ago!) except for her "puree mongole" -- two cans of Campbell's soup: one tomato, one green pea. Soup heavily flavored with can.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that one is well represented on the net:

http://www.soupsong.com/rhoover.html

I saw many variations.

I've heard of both "mock oyster" and "mock turtle" soup, and always wondered about them--real soups? The names remind me of Alice in Wonderland!
This is the wrong time of year (in USA) for soup, though I love it. And I could never ever in a soupcillion years get Rich to eat cold soup, fruit or vegetable!
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gazpacho... Very Happy
Raven

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame -- yes, yes, gazpacho! Now there is something that will never, never be a "concoction" (as we are using the term in this thread) (unless I am unaware of the creative minds that could make it so...).
Raven

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerpale, I apologize for hijacking your thread, but after taking a look at the soupsong link I couldn't resist sharing this gem on deathbed soups:

http://www.soupsong.com/bdeathbd.html
Rachel

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid my reaction was the same as Nicki, Barbara et al - how vile! However, in the interest of impartiality (since I am a vegetarian, which probably prejudices me against such things) I showed this to my (omnivore) boyfriend and he agreed that it sounded disgusting.

I hope Simona won't be too offended if I borrow her signature line - no more war, no more scary soups! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: