Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Iceland restaurants?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Iceland restaurants? Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone has been to Iceland and has suggestions for good restuarants in Reykjavik... we're planning a trip for my spring break in March! thanks!
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kate, what an adventure! My partner went kayaking in Iceland and Greenland 18 months ago and loved it. I'll ask him if he can recommend anywhere to eat, make sure you take plenty of money, he found Iceland very expensive, but then to us Aussie everything seems expensive compared with our Pacific Peso .... er ... dollar.

Greg has a page of photos on his website. They're mostly of fjords and campsites in the north, but you'll get some idea of what the countryside looks like.

If you get a chance, do a trip to the Westmann Islands.

And please tell us about your travels when you get home.
Kate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realized I never did respond to your post months ago, Judy, to tell about my trip when I got back, and I wouldn't worry about it, except that maybe this will help someone else in the future, looking for places to eat.

Iceland was a beautiful place to visit, but very expensive, so we ate quite a few small sandwich type meals to make way for a couple of big ones: the big winner was Siggi Hall, which was amazing. (http://www.siggihall.is/english/siggi-hall) Though I tend to be wary of restaurants in hotels, this one came recommended and we made reservations before we left the US. Siggi and his daughter seemed to be the main staff at the restaurant (it was also Easter Monday) and the service was fantastic.
suzy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iceland is gorgeous and I had a wonderful vacation there about 6 or 7 years ago. (We drove the entire Ring Road around the island, staying in farms along the way.) But you do not go to Iceland for the food! It is shockingly expensive. That said, the lamb is very good and so is the fish (surprise!) For picnics, you can buy some very nice gravlax and a locally made blue cheese in the grocery store (or better yet at the duty free store when you arrive in Iceland) at reasonable prices. Another specialty I enjoyed was the skyr, which is like yogurt. I didn't eat any rotten shark, sheep testicles, or puffin.
The Viking beer is pretty awful, but I loved the cans.
Have a great trip!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: