Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Cucumber Lemonade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Cucumber Lemonade Reply with quote

Did anyone see this recipe at SlashFood? http://recipe.aol.com/recipe/cucumber-lemonade/895

We had it last night and it was quite interesting. Made us want to fool around with cantaloupe lemonade.

I think I might have liked it more if our lemons had been better. A nasty freeze killed all of ours in the area and the ones in the market weren't looking so very appealing either. I'll try the farmers' market this weekend to see if someone has some nice ones.
birgit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mhm, I've recently discovered by chance the combination of granny smith apples and cucumbers put together in a juicer, with a hint of lime this was very refreshing, too Smile
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey,
I get obsessed with adding new flavors to lemonade every summer. Cucumber is quite good, as are basil, ginger, mint, lavender, peach and on and on...... I bet cantalope would be wonderful.

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've changed your signature. What's it from? Hot ham water???
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Arrested Development". I'll send you the hilarious YouTube clip.

"It's hot ham water."
mandysu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like agua fresca, a very refreshing Mexican beverage and what made me realize that canteloupe and cucumber are disturbingly similar. As I recall, it involves pureeing your fruit (canteloupe, cucumber, watermelon, etc.), straining it through cheesecloth, and combining with water, ~1/4c lime juice, and ~1/4c sugar (sorry, don't remember how much fruit or water, but it ends up being much more dilute than your average "juice", with just enough sugar and lime to enhance the flavor).

I've had rosemary and lavender lemonades (made with simple syrups infused with the herbs), and have also made rose lemonade (once, by making a rose petal tea and adding the lemon and sugar, and more recently by using sugar I'd ground up with rose petals). Sunset had a recipe for basil-lemon granita once--I think a basil-lemonade could be quite nice (especially with a pleasantly citrusy lemon or lime basil).

I love summer beverages (though our hot weekend has become a cool, wet week... that's Seattle for you!)
MissC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, I am also a fan of spicing up my lemonade with many of the ingredients you mentioned. My sister does the same with iced tea, but I've always been a lemonade girl myself. It is so refreshing on a summer afternoon and almost feels a little luxurious.
african vanielje

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: lovely lemonade Reply with quote

There is nothing quite like homemade lemonade. We always used to blitz in fresh raspberries and serve with fresh mint. Perfect for an African summer afternoon. With or without the raspberries, a little lime and some rum or vodka make a glass of pure heaven.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: