Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Dinnerware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Dinnerware Reply with quote

I'm seriously giving thought to surprising myself with some new dinnerware if our kitchen ever gets finished. I'm looking at the Deruta stuff at Sur la Table http://www.surlatable.com/product/zoom.do?productID=142602 but they're both pricey and sorta busy (in a lovely way but my kitchen wallpaper is also high energy). Oh, and the dining room walls are a very dark, leathery looking red.

If I got pasta/soup bowls and salad plates, what do you think would complement them nicely at a more modest price for dinner plates? What actually IS a modest price for good quality stuff? The last dinnerware I bought are restaurant supply glass plates that must be 20 years old. [/i]

Not bothering with cups/mugs and serving pieces (thank goodness!) because I like the ecclectic look of things collected over time.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spend many happy hours looking at pretty dishes. Both Macy's and Pfaltzgraff have reduced shipping now, also check Amazon, Crystallia, Mikasa, Crate and Barrel, Pottery Barn, Anthropologie--they *all* have clearance sites--for eclectic tastes that sometimes means pennies on the dollar.

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/index.ognc?CategoryID=7917&PageID=7917*1*24*-1*-1&kw=Casual%20China&LinkType=EverGreen
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Apilco, but I don't think they are modestly priced. They are however awesome and durable. They have to be, I'm a bit of a clutz.

I love the dishes you picked out. They are a bit of a splurge, but how pretty. If you think they are too busy with your wall paper, you should try to find something that coordinates, but is more plain then use the pretty ones to accent.

I just bought my brother a set of dishes from Cooking.com that are almost indestructable, good looking and were on sale. Wait no, that was Amazon. They had them at both, but Amazon had free shipping. Now I can't remember the name.......time for coffee, my brain is addled with muscle relaxer.

Have fun treating yourself!

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday at Cost Plus World Market (do many of you have them?) I found a lovely Italian plate that's just the tiniest bit wobbly on the edges (MUCH too subtle to call fluting or scallops), a lovely dark honey or amber color that fits well with the Deruta and only $8 each. The Deruta are $17. And I think the plain plates will be a much more appropriate ground to set off the salad and pasta/soup plates.

I showed my find to Steve last night and he's ready for "grown up" dinnerware too. So, now all we need is a kitchen....
Griffin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey,

Depending on a)if you can find them and b) the price, check out local craft ceramics and glassware. Then you can have fabulous stuff that will be for special occasions and will look good. Of course, coming from a curatorial background, I wouldn't DARE use such things. I'd be too scared I'd break/chip/scratch them!!! Rolling Eyes

But if you are not all that fretsome then it could be a fabulous addition to your new kitchen... when you get it of course!
Barbara

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey that plate is really pretty. Personally I prefer plain dinner plates and was lucky to find some Wedgewood dinner plates on sale a couple of years ago. They were designed in England in 1763, but I think they look very French.
http://www.wedgwoodusa.com/shop/collection.asp?id=484&cat=L&terms=C13
Donna

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh - I love thinking about this stuff! What about the Fiestaware - now on SALE at Macy's?

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=16497&CategoryID=28441&LinkType=SiteAd&LinkLoc=7498&AdID=35337

I have seen those plates at CostPlus and I like them - but Sam's a stickler and doesn't like the color...
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara-

Lovely! And I know what you mean about a plain plate that is the frame for the food. But the ones we've been using for a very long time are so plain I'm ready for a change. And I do admire vibrant pottery — Talavera, Deruta, that Portuguese faience stuff — love the colors and energy!
Donna

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one caveat - make sure you can put them in the dishwasher! A friend of mine bought some lovely faience dishes and - oooops! They have to be washed by hand! Consequently - they HATE using them, even though they are gorgeous!

I know from visiting the Quimper factory that they recommend hand washing, saying that as the glaze crazes - not necessarily visible to our eyes, it allows heat and water to get in in the dishwasher, which could break the plate. I had always just tossed my Quimper plates in the DW, but no more! Rolling Eyes
gingerpale

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara those are so gorgeous they make my teeth ache. Creamy and classy.
My "nice" set is http://www.villeroy-boch.com/fileadmin/picdb/produkte/tk/large/gruppe2337-preview.jpg
It's called Design Naif, many different scenes of idyllic life in France/Belgium. The colors are quieter than Rainey's style, but still charming as can be.
Barbara

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gingerpale I love the V&B Naif series. Actually I love all V&B. I'm also a huge fan of Gien and last year treated myself to one (Chaise Bleue design)cup and saucer which I use every day. I could have bought an entire dinner set for the same price.
http://www.tableideas.com/gien_dinnerware_patterns1.htm
They have a factory shop just out of Paris which I think would be a fun day trip.
http://www.gien.com/en/trouver/trouver_03.htm
gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, V&B has some beauty! I have dishes that were purchased years apart, and the shine is completely intact on the old ones.

Jewelry has never had much attraction for me, but pretty dishes make me crazy. I collected butter dishes for a while, have over 100--of course we keep our butter on an old saucer. Rolling Eyes
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in the US 12 years ago I bought a Royal Doulton dinner set at a remainder store in Mt Vernon, WA, and shipped it home.

http://www.matchingchina.com/replacement-china/section.php/147/1

I think it was a deleted line even when I bought it, but it's beautiful and I love it, and it cost a fraction of the price of anything similar in Australia.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
msue

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good place to buy new or old china, crystal, silver, etc., is here:

http://www.replacements.com

I was able to add some pieces to the long-ago-discontinued set inherited from my grandmother. They also have sales, which has me considering some soup bowls that I don't need, but at the sale price...maybe...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: