Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

It's a wrap!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: It's a wrap! Reply with quote

I love wrapped food. Vietnamese Cold Rolls, filled pocket breads, enchiladas and burritos and the list goes on and on.

Last night I made a very simple version of San Choy Bau, using lettuce leaf cups, finely chopped red onion, bean sprouts and pork stir-fried with garlic, light soy sauce and oyster sauce. Put everything on the table and everyone filled their own lettuce cups. Messy to eat, but fun and easy.

I'd love to read other members' food wrapping suggestions and recipes.
Barbara

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy, I think I'll try this tomorrow night. It sounds great.
lee_loreya

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

home made wraps (about 6)
200g flour (any kind will do)
pinch of salt
1 T of oil (olive or nut)
any spice (curry, paprika, cumin)

you blend all this together then add enough water to make a dough (around 10cL), then knead and let rest for half hour.
You then roll it until it's really paper thin and cut ou little circles and bake in a dry pan (1 minute on each side).
It looks a bit like chapatis and you need to "wrap it up" while it's warm otherwise it turns into a crisp.

fillings
-marinated peppers, ricotta
-eggplant puree
-tuna salad with iceberg
-sauteed mushrooms and emmental
etc
David

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often have wraps for lunch and enjoy them thoroughly . Fillings include pureed white beans with chopped fresh vegies, or perhaps hummus and vegies, tapenade with tomatoes. the possibilities are endless!!!
Corey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrapped foods just seem to be fun, mostly because it's something different than the food that I grew up with. I work in a New England bagel/sandwhich shop, and we do quite a few wraps that are very yummy. Sometimes you want a sandwhich but dont want all the bread that comes with a bagel or loaf.

Down the street is a burrito shop that serves very very very yummy mexican food made with fresh local ingrediants. Good stuff.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fresh spring rolls filled with tofu, cilantro, thai basil and a few other things are always good. They have to have a yummy hot pepper dipping sauce.

"It's hot ham water."
melinda

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm a fan of breakfast wraps....flour tortillas with bacon, egg & cheese....if i'm feeling particularly "Atkins-y" i use the "low-carb" tortillas
Barbara

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy - I made your wraps for dinner Friday night. They were so successful we are having them again next Friday. Although Michael decided to give a Tex Mex taste to his and added salsa and cheese!
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you liked them Barbara. You (and Michael) have given me an idea for the next time we have tacos. I'll serve lettuce cups with taco shells so we have a choice of 'holder' for our taco ingredients.

lee_loreya, thanks for the wrap recipe - that will come travelling with us on our camping trips.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject: 'tis a wrap Reply with quote

oh Judy...anything anything wrapped....you've brought back fond memories of the rotis I used to buy, almost 30 years ago, at the tiniest of shops at Dee Why "The Carribean Kitchen"~ oh my, those ones with the potato filling...to die for!

and my latest wrapped food...prepared in a kitchen a 2 hour drive west from Mackay ...hoooooooooooooooooootttttttttttttttt!

chapati with basmati rice flavoured with spices...cloves etc...forgotten what else I added for moisture....they were delicious...

again, anything wrapped!

our son is home for a couple of days...he will cook for us tonight, and as ever it will be scrumptious....might have to tape the Oscars....I just love the night!...I know I know ....the judging of art and all that...I know I know....the weirdness of it all...I know I said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Very Happy however, as a one night of the year...I love the glam...the dresses that, in my eyes, "work" and those that, again in my eyes, don't....oops...very off topic madame...apologies..
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite wrap is a fusion of Vietnamese and Filipino. Translucent "rice paper" wraps softened with water and filled with an assemble-your-own mix of stir-fried pork, cooked shrimp, chiffonade of soft & crisp lettuce, cucumber, radish, scallion, cilantro, thai basil & chopped peanuts. Spicy peanut sauce for dipping that includes sri racha sauce, garlic, fish sauce & toasted sesame oil.

I'm looking forward to summer food with this wet, bone-chilling cold that keeps returning!
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Dallas wraps Reply with quote

how long will it take me to get to Dallas!...I can really and truly taste the words from the screen....how I love c'nz!
Debbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yum!!! Wrapped food would have to be one of the quickest, easiest, tastiest ways of having a satisfying and delicious snack.

Thank you so much for the quick wrap receipe Lee-Loreya, I am definately going to try it out. I love salad in wraps (that crunchy texture in the soft wrap) and also I adore Mexican flavours and would much rather eat them in wraps than in any other form.

My latest craving has been chicken strips marinated for a few hours in olive oil and Australian bush spices (makes me think of home...) and then pan fried in a dry pan and wrapped up with fresh crunchy salad leaves and sliced radishes. A dash of creme fraiche and a sprinkle of grated cheese makes it heavenly... I was just having difficulty in finding a wrap that I liked here in Paris. Oh, I am very hungry now.... can feel a whirl in the kitchen coming on.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: