Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Sopranos final episode — what did you think?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  

David Chase:
What a genius!
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
What's his address? I want him whacked!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
He should be forced to do 45 days with Paris Hilton and Paulie Walnuts in the same cell.
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Who is David Chase? And what's this thing called HBO?
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
The Sopranos lost it's steam when they lost Nancy Marchand.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Sopranos final episode — what did you think? Reply with quote

Who's seen it? How did it grab you? But let's avoid being specific for people who haven't seen it yet.

Last edited by Rainey on Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
gingerpale

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm-- It's hard to discuss the episode without specifics, as far as who is and who may not be alive or dead, but my heart was pounding as if I were in danger at the conclusion of that show, so I would have to say it was done very well, was a success, and God will we ever see its like??

Rainey--why am I not surprised you are a Nancy Marchand fan?--Do you remember her in "Lou Grant"?
Madame Shawshank has posted favorably about the Sopranos, I think--your opinion please, Madame!

James Gandolfini is next playing--- Ernest Hemingway!
Any thoughts about "John from Cincinnati"? I can't help it I liked it, so far.
But it must develop--it can't just meander and be *strange*...
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dabble in and out of it....some series I stick with like glue...Boston Legal ~ oh my isn't that television at its very very best!, The Eagle, The West Wing...thought Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip was going to be a winner...Soph downloaded them for us as it hasn't been shown in Oz...the latest one had lost its spark...when it's obvious that the actors aren't having fun/awkward dialogue..almost painful to watch...

as for The Sopranos...give me a few days Wink will jump episodes and watch the final...if I can do that with books I can do that with a television series!

has anyone seen that wondrous Sopranos Vanity Fair cover?

isn't this a fabulous time to be around...to enjoy such things...each generation gives us actors who can take us to those places .....those 'oh my goodness' places...saw Martin Scorsese speaking of his films..he said that was how they lived, that was what they knew...that life...it was all around them...

the fabulousness of the name Tony Soprano..could he have been named anything else...suits the character to a t
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I can be vague enough.

Um, on the one hand I was let down. On the other hand it was a stroke of genius, because it gave you an insight into a world teetering on the edge.

"It's hot ham water."
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey Darlin'..perhaps you could add 'spoiler alert' to the subject heading..and that way you can all discuss until the cows come home Wink

hugs
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good suggestion, Madame, but I think the whole world knows by now. Don't you? Meanwhile, how nice of us to give them an opportunity to be caught by surprise.

Absolutely LOVE Boston Legal too! Half, of course, for the way they manage to stick in a smack at the Bush administration's dopey, clueless policies at every turn. Half for the wicked way they break the fourth wall — have you seen the season finale yet with Shatner's funniest one yet? And half because of how funny, smart and off kilter it is while still managing to be about something in a weightless weasel-it's-way-into-your-thoughts sorta way. LOVE it!

Back to Sopranos for a sec: I loved the Nancy Marchand episodes when the show had some integrity and the balance between Tony's monster & human were so delicately aligned. But before the end of the second season I thought they lost the thread of his humanity and individual characters flopped all over the place. I just couldn't watch Christopher have a come to god moment one week and shoot a baker over doughnuts the next. I also found it tiring how often Carmella would have a deep insight/guilt about who her family was and then be an enabler on alternate weeks.

But who am I to find fault when the whole country ate it all up?
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey ma dear...simply life...the moving from strength to weakness...living in our light then having a dip for a while in our shadow...'tis life... Wink

as Alan Shore stands in court ...does up the coat button...I know I'm in for some "I can't take ma eyes/ears from this"...a deep joy to watch such acting...the power of the language and his delivery..

oops ..the Sopranos Wink
Pesto Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While put off @ first, the more I have thought about it, the more I like it, and the more I realized it was(at least for me) the most satisfactory way to end it......(although being shot to death by uncle Jr(from last season). would have been a masterstroke of irony!) Having let that moment pass, the written ending was both off-putting and profound. As it was looking, the two most envisioned alternatives would have been A) Tony dies in a hail of bullets or B) somehow Tony not only surives, he wins, turns states evidence, goes into wittness protection and escapes unscathed....

For me ending A) is too pat, too Hayes code... evil must perish, crime dosen't pay.....(we need only look around to know that this this is a bit naive) and ending B is equally unsatisfactory, It would reward such monstorus behavior...make him a sort of hero which he obviously isn'tt

The actual ending, was much more in line with his past history, the curret obstacle, overcome, but with new, pontentially even greater chalanges looming in the future, and every stranger a potential threat.... rather than a neat ending (either A, or B) we leave Tony, much like when we met him, a shark swimming in a sea of sharks, dangerous, but constantly in danger as well, perhaps not neat and resolved, but ambigious and unsetteling...in other wordsa a lot like life itself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: