Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Allergy food inspirations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrissie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Allergy food inspirations Reply with quote

Hi Everyone!

I've been checking out this forum for a while now and love it so much (and Clotilde's website), that I just had to join in the fun.

I'm hoping that some of you could give me some ideas for a strict allergy diet that I'm on at the moment. I was OK for the first few weeks but have 'fallen off the wagon' due to boredom (and, OK, really weak will).

These are the things that I CAN'T have: all dairy, all nuts, sugar (including dried fruit), yeast, rye, all ferments - this is the really tricky one, because it involves vinegars, soy products (except milk), beer, wine, a lot of bottled sauces and pickles...the list goes on!

I'm basically restricted to fresh produce and meats. And I can eat eggs. So I've been making a lot of SALADS (I live in Sydney). And to jazz them up I make my own 'pesto' using sunflower or pumpkin seeds and rocket or basil leaves (It's tasty BTW!). But I'm running out of ideas and I can't stop dreaming about pizza! Hence, I'm posting while I should be working...

I would really appreciate ANY ideas you all can come up with, and look forward to your comments. Sincere apologies for offending any of you foodies with my ludicrous restrictions!!

Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Chrissie
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chrissie, welcome aboard - nice to have another Antipodean in our midst.

I can't really give you any help in your search for variety, other than to suggest baked beans. Don't laugh, I have a friend who is a paediatrician speciallising in allergies and he tells his patients that if all else fails, there's always good old baked beans. With, um, gluten free yeast free bread, I guess.

How about rice paper wraps? You've probably seen that thread in this section. And if you can eat wheat flour you could make lee-loreeya's homemade wraps.

Good luck with your search, and let us know what you find to give variety to all those salads.
chrissie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Judy!

Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions! I love baked beans! And I have now switched to sprouted bread (delicious but very heavy) which is great toasted...

This allergy actually stems from my childhood, so I'm not suprised your paediatric friend is full of ideas. I thought I had 'grown out' of my condition but I took an allergy test just prior to xmas and it showed all the old symptoms...

I haven't read the rice paper wrap thread, or Lee-loreeya's homemade wrap recipe, will go look them up now.

Thanks again!
Chrissie
Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning!

You have my sympathies. I had to do the elimination diet as well.... not fun and so boring that you do feel tempted to fall off the wagon.

One of the recipies that I use alot (which stems from those days) is a pork loin wrapped in proscuto or bacon and baked. I used fresh sage leaves from the garden (no pesticides or chemical fertilisers etc) and put them between the pork loin and wrapping. If you can eat apples, a layer of sliced pink lady apples with the skin on underneath the meat makes a lovely sauce after cooking and gives you the taste of sweetness without adding sugar or honey. I also put a few sage leaves with the apple. A drizzle of olive oil brings it all together while baking and stops the apples sticking to the pan.

For something nice and tasy, potato mashed with an egg and grated nutmeg is lovely. Leave a little of the cooking water in the potatoes so you can mash them to a creamy consistency without adding milk and butter.

Iceberg lettuce - normally very boring - makes a good holder for ingredients in a bread free sandwich. I also used slices of ham in the same way.

Can you have chilli? A tin of kidney beans rinsed really well and sprinkled with chilli powder and warmed to get the flavours melding, then mixed with fresh chopped coriander, parsley, tomato and capsicum is really tasy. It is good in the iceberg lettuce cups.

Hope this helps you. If you want more let me know. Where in Sydney do you live? We have our home in Parramatta, which I miss a lot.... but not the heat of summer!

Good luck, have a nice day
chrissie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!

Thanks Debbie for the great ideas. I'm inspired to try the pork loin this weekend... will let you know how it turns out! Your apple suggestion reminds me of a similar recipe which is just apple wedges cooked on the b-b-q then tossed in butter, brown sugar and rosemary - so tasty!! but of course now I'll be substituting the butter and the brown sugar...

Chilli - definately! I love this alternatively san choi bow (sp?) idea using the iceberg lettuce... There's a burger joint near me where you can ask for a burger "without the bun" and they do this instead. But I think it's more of a carb-avoidance thing there Smile

I live in Potts Point atm which I am loving. Nothing like being able to walk everywhere, including work. We've had a strange summer this year - hot but often grey and stormy. Very "muggy". Victoria, on the other hand, had some snow last week! How long have you been living in Paris? I've visited there three times and imagine it would be a huge change to move there... as beautiful as it is of course!

Well, this week I have failed myself miserably - succumbing to the lollies and dried fuit/nut mix we have at work for customers - so I'll definately be turning it around using all these ideas - there's a good two more weeks of non-repetitive dishes here - thanks again Debbie and Judy!

Have a gourmet weekend everyone Smile
Chrissie
Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you liked the ideas.

If you get the munchies at work (and who doesn't???) have you tried carrot, celery and apple chunks to nibble on? I know carrot and celery sticks sounds boring, but seriously if you add apple to it you will be amazed how much more interesting it becomes. Pear is also good. I also make sure I have plenty of water in a bottle or jug with slices of lemon or lime and maybe mint if you like it (I really don't like the taste of mint, but love the smell). Have also tried with really juicy peaches and lemon in soda water. Just seems to give the tastebuds a bit of a lift and you get your water.

Have you tried putting lemons cut in half on the bbq till they caramelise and then squeezing over fish? Very yum. Also works with limes. Mangoes can be caramelised in this way and added as a condiment with pork or lamb instead of chutneys and sauces.

I have been in Paris since December. My husband has been here for 8 months. We will be staying about 3-5 years. It is very different, but so so interesting. We are really enjoying the change and opportunity to see so much. There are times when you miss home, but life in Paris is fabulous and on the whole we have settled in quite well. Email makes it easier as you can "talk" to family and friends whenever you want. Webcams are the best invention for this also.

Anyway, good luck with the food. I know how hard it is but you really have to persevere to be well. I will be in London for the next 2 weeks, but will look forward to hearing how you went when I get back to Paris.

Enjoy the pork dish, my mouth is watering just thinking about it. Just remember to cook it quickly and it is best if barely cooked inside.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: