Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Which cookbook do you use the most?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
georgia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing out the Epicurious book review section. I use that site almost exclusively for searching out recipes, so I wasn't even aware of the book reviews. It's interesting to see what they have to say about books I already own and certainly what they have to say about those that I'm tempted to buy.
MissC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thank you for pointing out the Epicurious book review feature. I too was unaware of it, but love the fact that it details the percentage of recipes you'll most likely use.

I think we buy so many cookbooks because cooking is always an adventure. You know that each recipe will bring a new experience, whether it is a new technique or ingredient. I personally prepare my tried and true recipes in the same way every time; I could probably do it with my eyes closed. But new cookbooks offer the excitement of discovering something new!
bluedog

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must agree that I only use a few recipes out of each of my many, many books, but yet, everyone knows it is a safe gift for me, b/c i get so excited about the prospect of a new cook book.

I recently got Ina Garten's newest, and was so disapointed I returned it. I really love her, but everything in the book was something I could manage w/ out a recipe. Roasted chicken, various sandwiches, muffins, etc. Nothing that made me want to start cooking.

My worst addiction is cooking magazines. I cannot stop myself from buying one at every grocery i am in!!! I think it is the seasonal aspect I love. Recipes that suit the mood of the weather, available produce, and coming holidays. I am trying not to keep them, as internet access is so good now, but I have closet full of prior issues!
Donna

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three shelves of cookbooks, that I go through periodically and purge. I have a few that I got about 35 years ago - when I had my first kitchen that I can't throw away, even though I hardly ever use them and they are falling apart. And I have a few new cookbooks given to me as gifts. And of course the spectacular C&Z cookbook - which I've used several times and which has a couple of stains already!

I always browse the cookbook section of bookstores - but I really try to resist the lure. I am successful at this because of the Internet! I absolutely adore looking for recipes on the Net. It's how I discovered C&Z.

So, now my new problem is what to do with all the hard copies of recipes that I've downloaded! I know I ought to look into getting Mac Gourmet (is that the right name for that recipe data base?). But I dread the idea of having to sit down and copy recipes to set it up. It is comical to try to find a recipe in the basket that is charged with holding them all. Right now thery're in no order, so I just have to go through from the top to the bottom. It's a little like archaeology - Oh look I have two copies of the soup recipe. Oh, there's that hors d'oeuvre recipe I was looking for. Hmmmm - that looks like a good dinner recipe, I should make that. Aha! Here's the banana ice cream recipe I was looking for!

Well, I guess that's another summer project for me!
emilyj

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna, I have an A4 book that I keep all of my blog recipes in. I keep the hardcopies in the back until I have a chance to try them and if they are good I will paste them into the book. My mother has a similar system but she uses a display folder instead (not so much pasting involved) - I also write my notes on the recipes down the sides so that when I revisit the recipe I can tweak it a bit.
I agree that a database would be useful but my computer is a desktop one and is down two flights of stairs from the kitchen, I would need to print off the recipes anyway which is a waste of paper.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

magazines...love 'em...and how over the years food photography has changed soooooooooooooo much...I've Oz Vogue Entertaining Guides from the early '80s..my oh my ...so chic it all appeared!

the annual French edition of one of our local mags...always a visual treat..

http://gourmet.ninemsn.com.au/gourmettraveller/menu/menu96.asp
MissC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna, I've also devised a simple system for keeping track of the hard copies of recipes I print out from the Internet. I just keep a binder that is separated into courses (appetizers, salads, desserts, etc.) using dividers. Since I always print them on 8.5 X 11 paper, I just punch holes in the side and all of the recipes are neat and uniform. Very simple, but my binder has really grown over the years. With the rate I'm going, I think I'll need to give each course it's own binder soon.

However, your method does sound quite entertaining...I love coming across recipes I had forgotten about. It's kind of like finding money in the pocket of your winter coat the first time you use it for the season. Ok, maybe not that good...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: