Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Where were you 10 years ago . . . and where are you now?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harpospeaking

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Where were you 10 years ago . . . and where are you now? Reply with quote

I'm nearing a milestone age (I'll be 35 next year) and this sort of thing makes you reflect on life.

Here's where I was 10 years ago (at age 24):

I was in my second year of law school.
My 20 pound law books and UCC code books were my constant companions.
I lived off of rice and beans from the school cafeteria. (Actually, for all of us in law school, eating was a chore that took you away from studying!)
I worried all the time about finding a job after graduation.
I had the time of my life working on the International Law Journal in school.
I was working summers at the Loyola Law School admissions office and then for an attorney.
I dreamed about traveling to Europe and spending my days in art museums but never thought I'd get there in this lifetime.
My weekly treat was to have a cappucino at the local coffee house in South Pasadena --- $2.50 was a fortune for me at that time!

I'm sure there was more to it, but really at the time, my life revolved around law school.

Since then, I've done the following:

Decided not to practice law after graduation. (great move for me!)
Started a career in health care.
Awakened a love of food and cooking with the purchase of my first Le Creuset dutch oven.
Became an avid collector of cookbooks. (not so great about cooking though!)
Started a couple of hobbies including ballet classes, French, swimming and container gardening.
Traveled internationally almost every year since 2000.
Acquired two cats and a dog.
Made lifelong friends in France.
Discovered Chocolate and Zucchini in 2005 and nurtured my love of food and France. (yay!)

Although I have accomplished very little in comparison to some of the amazing people on this board, I feel that my life, in its own small way, has gotten richer (or at least tastier with C&Z).

On that note, how has your life changed from 10 years ago? (no need, however, to give away your age Wink )

http://onegirlonehouse.wordpress.com
bainst

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten years ago at age 21:

I was in my second year in the Army.
Stationed at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.
Having fun for the first time, but not being wild.
Still deciding if I was going to stay in for twenty years or get out after my six year initial enlistment.
Wondering if I should start college again a continue with this breather.( I had left college at nineteen to join the Army.)
Wondered if I would really see the world like they had promised in the commercials.

Ten years later:
I've lived in Japan, Germany, South Korea, and currently living in Iraq. They did promise exotic locales. Laughing
I've visited many countries, my favorites being Croatia, Scotalnd, China and France.
I've started taking college classes again, I still haven't decided on a major though. Confused
Thanks to NPR, discovered a delightful little food blog. Very Happy
I've finally come to the conclusion at the end of this enlistment which will add up to fourteen years of active duty I will not stay. (Not entirely due to the war or administration, but entirlely related to my happiness.)
I'm still having fun, still not wild. But maybe after the Army, who knows? Twisted Evil
Zoe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this topic - thanks, Harpospeaking. Plus I turn 30 very soon, which as you noted tends to make one reflective...

10 years ago I was:

An Air Force officer (so not me, as my friends will attest).
Living on a kibbutz when not on base (so not me either).
reading a lot in my spare time.
eating much junk food and chocolate.
Trying to figure out what to do once I got out of the air force at 21.
Unable to travel due to my military service (though seeing your list, Bainst, maybe that's for the best?).

And now...
I ended up studying psychology at university, and meeting really great people while doing so,
left the kibbutz,
Finished my MA, and started considering a PhD.
I still read a lot, though not as much as I'd like to.
Don't really care for junk food anymore - have realized veggies are my friends. Chocolate is still a key staple, though.
Unable to travel much due to my salary Smile but have been to Europe a couple of times, and to the US (finally made it to Alaska).

So in all I figure I'm in the right direction.
emilyj

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten years ago
I was still at school (year 11)
I had no real career aspirations but knew that I was interested in the humanities
Two of my closest friends had just been involved in a car accident and one of them was in hospital with a brain injury for 3 or 4 months so I spent a lot of time in the Royal Adelaide Hospital
I spent a lot of time at loggerheads with my parents over various things and couldn't wait until I could move out/ drive etc.
I was hopeless at Home Economics and really picky about food

Now
I am still at school (I'm in my 9th year of university Shocked )
I have no real career aspirations but have spent the last year and a half in a job that I hate
I have spent a year in Vietnam doing research and learning Vietnamese
I am saving up money to do my masters degree in London
My friend has recovered (although not fully) and I still see her quite often
I get along so well with my parents that I have moved back into their house while I save up the money to go to London (I cook them dinner every night)
I am quite a good cook, spend most of my time baking and will eat almost anything (except brains and endangered species- although I think I actually might have eaten an endangered crab once by mistake)

Looking back on it I don't think that I have come very far- I am still waiting for my life to happen. I try to live in the moment but sometimes it's difficult not to look to the future and wish that it would hurry up and come.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten years ago....let me see.... I had just graduated highschool and my first year of college. It was a special program. I was trying to decide what I wanted to do with my life.

Ten years later, I'm still trying to decide what to do with my life.

"It's hot ham water."
David

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Erin---I'm thinking you could open a very successful hot ham water stand on your front lawn!
Donna

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God - this makes me feel REALLY old!!!!!!!!!! Rolling Eyes
gingerpale

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, youth! I can only speak for myself, of course, but the decade between 20 and 30 included a lot more comings and goings (physical, mental, and spiritual) than my current gentle slide toward 60.

And yeah, ditto what Donna said!!
charlsy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like ages and yet...

10 years ago, I was 35, battling a severe case of nervous breakdown, and so changing jobs, preparing a professionnal exam and succeeding, and so getting a promotion, raising my then 8 year old son by myself, and living in Paris, which I loved (movies whenever I wanted, all the stores you would ever want, Notre Dame at sunrise, august and the near empty city) and hated (too little space, too much pollution, too many cars, too many people, not enough clear skies and stars to see at night). 1997 started in the dumps and ended much better !

Now, I'm 45, 40 pounds lighter, still have occasional lows, still have a son, now close to turning 18, who has already cut the umbilical, if I haven't quite yet ! I live near Bordeaux (left Paris 7 years ago), I have a good job, plenty of sky at night and lots of stars ! I miss Notre Dame at sunrise but wouldn't consider going back to Paris. And I finally met someone who may be the right one for me. Actually I'm very seriously considering leaving Bordeaux and moving to Italy with him...

All in all I don't exactly feel much older than 10 years ago. Certainly not wiser, that 's for sure ! Even if there is more and more white in my hair
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rachel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm....

Ten years ago I was 17 going on 18 and finishing high school and
I was dying to go to university
I had never set foot outside the States (nor even travelled much within the country, I'm from Chicago and most family holidays were spent in the Midwest)
I had lived in the same house all my life
I couldn't speak a foreign language (having done Latin all through school)
I read loads and assumed that I would end up an absentminded English professor, but I spent inordinate amounts of time at the Art Institute gazing at paintings
I was pining after the latest in a string of thoroughly unsuitable boys who was never going to pay me any attention
I was the classic ugly duckling (horrible hair, Coke-bottle glasses, negative dress sense... I still cringe whenever I see pictures of myself from then!)

Ten years later
I loved university so much that apart from a year out teaching English in France, I've been a student ever since I left home (oh dear)
I figured out that although I love reading and writing, I'd rather write about paintings than books
In three weeks' time I will (fingers crossed) have a PhD in writing about paintings!
I've lived in London, Tours and Paris and seen a fair bit of Europe
I've realised what a nice house I grew up in because I've lived in some truly dreadful places since, with some very lovely people who've unfortunately been outnumbered by the real-life equivalents of the guys from Men Behaving Badly Rolling Eyes
My French is never going to be perfect, but it's come a long way in ten years
I grew out my hair, ditched my glasses for contacts, and finally figured out how to dress
After several more thoroughly unsuitable boys, I finally found the man of my dreams

Like Charlsy, I wouldn't say I feel older, exactly. Just a lot more comfortable in my own skin.
georgia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Donna and Gingerpale! Feeling really old on my gentle slide...

Ten years ago, I was 10 years younger...which should, all by itself, be enough for anyone. However, 10 years ago I had no grandchildren (now ages 4, 2, and 1...with another on the way). And if having them in my life meant that I had to trade off and be 10 years OLDER, I'd do it in a minute.

Our priorities change...

(But, in retrospect, if I could have stayed in a holding pattern over age 35 for a few more years, I wouldn't have complained...)
Griffin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh good grief!

Ten years ago... I was working at Wood Green Library and STILL looking for curatorial work. I was to leave the library that September and be unemployed for four years after it! In fact since then I've been mostly unemployed... sigh!

Now - I have let go my desire and dream to work in museums and I'm trying to work out what to do next. In the meantime I'm doing temp work at Loughborough University - currently audio-typing from some terrible tapes.

I am still in love with books - sigh, and museums! I just don't want to work for less money than I'm worth, which all curators do, I assure you. I'm slowly paying off an overdraft, but getting there. And plotting something terrible and shameless involving an armadillo and a cheese grater and possibly another bishop. I'm also trying to find the time and energy to finish off a novel... the third one. But one is finished, it's just in first draft and is too dear to me to let go of. So I had better finish this one off. I had also better find out what it is I want to do next, because at the age of 43, going on 44 I can't afford not to.
bluedog

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a fun thread. I must say I am impressed by everyone's thougthful responses. I am also surprised how YOUNG some of you are, which means you sound mature and worldly. But a few of you i am pleased to report write posts that sound younger than your years implied, and i will leave it at that.

Me - I am looking at a milestone as well - 40!

Ten years ago - had recently moved to Seattle for "2-3 years, just a west coast adventure - we'll be back". Just ran my first marathon. Just climbed Mt. Rainier (14K). Just able to afford some international travel, and learning the joys of cooking.

Now - still in Seattle, and although I miss NYC, no plans to go back. Training for my second marathon, had 2 kids (now 6 and 3). Still traveling, and now teaching my kids the wonders of international cuisine.

Ten years from now - location - unknown, perhpas abroad? But I do know I will be eating well, and as my kids get older, hopefully traveling more. And reading more!
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: EEK! Reply with quote

Well, 10 years agon I was in Scrub Tech school, cursing the day my mother said to me, "When you pay for your own education, you might do a little more work!" She was right, I graduated Valedictorian a year later.

I was living in Vegas and married to a nice, quiet fella.

Life was 40 pounds bigger, thirty degrees hotter, of course involved a ton of food at those great late-night eateries all over town.

Since then, I have moved to Oregon, then Montana, met a more exciting and active man and we are soon to be back in Oregon by summer's end, for good.

My Man and I will be embracing all that is fantastic about the PAC NW. I have the life I always wanted, finally- a fairly fearless partner with a fantastic sense of humor, sense of self and sense of love.

I still eat for comfort, but less often, and with more organic things. Farmers markets are still a part of my needs, as are romps on the beach or on pine needle covered paths (and snow when its convenient for ME, dadgummit!), wine bars and very expensive chocolates.

I have better relations with my family, and am slowly building a reputation as being a Cool Auntie, instead of a freaky one living in Granola Land.

After a mind-blowing 20 years in medicine, I am looking forward to backing off and either teaching scrub technology, or working per diem and having a food related side job, hopefully at a co-op deli or some such funky joint.

Its been good to look back on life, mine and everyone else's. Bravo on the thread. Smile
Griffin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ten years ago I was 17 going on 18 and finishing high school

Gulp! Oh Rachel, now I DO feel old!!! And Bluedog, you're the same age as my brother... and dash it, I'm still older than both of you! In our version of high school, I looked a bit like a junior Ramone with glasses... and fancied myself as a young Jim Morrison! Rolling Eyes

I am relieved to note that there are those who are older than me here tho'! My hair is finally beginning to get grey threads in it... and I don't even have children. Surely that can't be right?! I may dye my hair blonde... so people really will think I'm David's brother!! Wink

After all, we're both tall and skinny ... aren't we David? (it says in the script here, David nods vigorously)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: