Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Back to Paris!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lilia Dignan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my! Another non-swimmer. I took lessons - a lot of them - in my youth. Even had a Mr. Philippines to teach me but like Erin, it didn't stick. Did a lot of lazing around in beautiful white sanded beaches in different islands back then.
Cold San Francisco Bay is not condusive to swimming either but it is lovely to see the sailboats and the bridges even on a foggy day like today and the Pacific can be wild and fantastic.
About the pool that was installed under the Eiffel Tower, I read that article in our travel section. It did mention that it is a commercial gimmick. Hope that nobody takes up on it. We are supposed toenjoy the bird's eyeview not jump in 4 feet of water.
Rachel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as promised, I'm back from Paris and here are Glyn's and my favourite finds (for Erin or anyone else interested!):

We were there for his birthday, so I booked a table at Chez Michel for dinner. There was a mini-disaster in that they lost our booking and the place was packed to the gills, but the chef himself came out, heard me out, and promised us a table if we waited half an hour. (So he scores lots of points with me for being one of the nicest, as well as best, bistro chefs in Paris). It was definitely worth the wait, the meal was excellent from start to finish (traditional bistro food with some Breton dishes). I highly recommend it (advance bookings are obviously a must)! Erin, as you're going in autumn, it will probably interest you to know that it has a good reputation for game...

The night after that, we had dinner at Le Bistrot Paul Bert, which was every bit as good (though thank goodness no problems with the booking). Apparently the menu changes weekly, but if anyone is there during cherry season and it's on the menu, the must-have dessert is the sauteed morello cherries with bourbon vanilla ice cream. Very Happy

Apart from that, we visited some old favourites (Berthillon and L'As du Fallafel) and got horribly spoilt by having breakfast every day at Eric Kayser's boulangerie. And despite our promising each other that we wouldn't spend the whole time in museums, we managed to hit the Musee d'Orsay, the Louvre, the Musee de Cluny and the Musee des Arts Decoratifs in three days! (I guess that's what happens when both you and your other half are art historians...)

And as far as the Eiffel Tower goes - it's worth remembering that there are other amazing viewpoints in Paris. Sacre Coeur is the obvious one, but for my money, the very best is the roof of the Institut du Monde Arabe.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel,

Wonderful! I will definitely check out Chez Michel. Your experience there reminds me of my first trip to Paris. We had arrived around 10:00pm on a Sunday and everything was closing. We wandered around hoping to stumble on something besides a creperie, when a man spotted us from inside of his locked restaurant. He let us in and we were lucky enough to join the staff dinner. That was really an unforgettable meal.

Thanks for the info!

"It's hot ham water."
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, that must have been fantastic! Those are the kind of experiences you can't plan or predict, but they are always the most memorable.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: