Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

National?Regional drinks!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbara

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My favourite regional drink would be Champagne tho'. One day I want to drink Champagne in either Rheims or Epernay, it's home towns.

Griffin - In 2003 a good friend of mine who knew she was dying asked me to speak at her funeral. It was with pride I stood up and was able to include in my speech
"together we have visited art galleries and museums in Paris, shopped till we dropped in Australasia's best stores, drunk Shiraz in the Barossa, Semillon in the Hunter and Champagne in Champagne".
Griffin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Barbara,

Maybe next year on your 16th birthday you can do that again...! A way of remembering her and also your own near brush with He-who-must-be-obeyed. And this time, maybe we'll have the lot... Madame, Debbie and whoever else manages to get there... oh and me. I definitely intend to get there.
Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear Hear!

Now the mention of whisky sours had my mouth watering. I love them! But only with lemon peel. Not going to tell my husband the nickname though.... that could be a fatal mistake on my part Confused

Might have to whip me up one of them tonight as I have all the ingredients to hand... ok might have to whip up a few, after all they work better in batches don't they? Very Happy
Rachel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised nobody has mentioned Pimms for Britain yet! I'm always thrilled when the weather gets warm enough to have it... and sad when summer draws to a close because after that, you'll get laughed out of bars if you order it. (Luckily it's not really the sort of drink I crave on a cold day.) I love elderflower cordial too, and am not sure how I managed to survive 20 years with no knowledge of its existence. But English beer is something I'm afraid I've never developed a taste for - it's just too bitter for me. Give me Belgian beer anyday!

As far as France goes, I don't consider myself to have truly arrived until I've had my first espresso... and my first kir! (I quite like the latter made with creme de mure as well as the traditional creme de cassis.) There's one regional French drink I discovered when I lived in Tours that I wasn't quite so charmed by, though. It's called bernache (I think - perhaps someone can correct me) and is, I believe, freshly-pressed grape juice that's been fermented for just a few days. Not something I'd go running after anytime soon. Razz

Griffin and Barbara, there is definitely something to be said for trying regional drinks in their home region. I've been lucky enough to drink Champagne in Reims and port in Porto... the problem is I didn't expect the tasting glasses at the champagne maison and the port lodge to be quite so generous. I can assure you that Reims Cathedral and the Douro riverfront both look quite interesting through tipsy eyes... Wink
Nicki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drink produced locally to me is T.E.A. (Traditional English Ale) produced at the Hogsback Brewery. I can't stomach it though, bitter just isn't for me I'm afraid!

You're right about Pimms - although give it me with fruit and mint rather than cucumber any day. They do a winter version now I believe, that can be served warm.

Cider is very good in the UK too
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're surrounded by wine-growing areas here in Adelaide, so the traditional drink is wine. Red, white, Australian Sparkling ('cos we're not allowed to call it 'Champagne' any more).

And of course because we're Australians, there has to be beer. The local family-owned company, Coopers, is the beverage of choice for a lot of Adelaideans.

Non-alcoholic drinks - well, the water here tastes so terrible that a lot of people buy their drinking water. And for some reason, South Australian males consume the most iced coffee (as in flavoured milk in cardboard cartons) in the world. Farmer's Union of course! I think only Emilyj will understand that last sentence. Wink

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy, you know I can't resist a little puzzle like that--does this googled info explain "that last sentence"?

"Farmers Union Iced Coffee has also been a long time supporter of Australian sport, proudly sponsoring the Adelaide Crows and Port Power Football Clubs and more recently, the Newcastle Knights."

Or am I way off?

Our mayor in Salt Lake City (Rocky Anderson) hates the waste and harm to the earth that plastic bottled water causes--he's asked all of us to drink tap water, says it's some of the best in the country.
bainst

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite things to drink are regular Lemonade, it's just so hard to find just the right amount sweet but not too syrupy and not too sour. I don't care to make a pucker face. So far in my travels, Camden Yards, where the Balitmore Orioles play and Toomer's Pharmacy, in Auburn, Alabama where I went to college make the best in the Nation. Another favorite drink of mine are these flavored sodas produced by Goya, a Latino food company. Thay make quite a few different flavors, my favorites though, are the coconut flavor and the pineapple. The coconut sounds strange, but if its ice cold on a hot summer day, it is absolutely the best. I use to drink them all the time as a kid in New York, but when I moved away they didn' sell them anywhere else. But I've managed to find them on the internet, so here in Iraq, on an extremely hot, 115 degree (or 45 degrees for you metric people out there) day, I can sit in the shade and enjoy.

Griffin wrote:

My favourite regional drink would be Champagne tho'. One day I want to drink Champagne in either Rheims or Epernay, it's home towns.

And Griffin, you simply must go. I've been lucky to sip some Moet in their house in Epernay with my best friend, and have some truly divine Taittinger in their house in Riems with my Mom. Their caves are amazing since some of them are 2,000 years old having been excavated by the Romans for the limestone. Shocked
chocolatemoose

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose our national drink would have to be Guinness, but I have to confess I've never even tasted it - it strikes me as an old man's drink, but then I don't even like beer.

At the moment I'm enjoying some of the lovely fresh apple juices that can be bought at my local market - they sell them by apple variety so I can indulge my preference for a tangy flavour with the Brambley variety. Cider is also a very popular summer drink here 'Bulmers' is the best known brand, It's sold in the UK under the name 'Magners' - I've no idea why the changed the name. A substantial portion of the apples grown in Ireland end up as Bulmers .

I'm not really one for spirits - wine will always be my tipple of choice. Tax on alcohol is quite high here so we mainly buy our wine direct from French vineyards - the joys of the internet Smile
emilyj

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerpale wrote:
Judy, you know I can't resist a little puzzle like that--does this googled info explain "that last sentence"?
"Farmers Union Iced Coffee has also been a long time supporter of Australian sport, proudly sponsoring the Adelaide Crows and Port Power Football Clubs and more recently, the Newcastle Knights."

You are right Gingerpale, it is a brand of iced coffee. I agree Judy, it probably is our 'regional drink' which is a bit of a sad thought. I am not a big fan of it myself- it is so sweet that it gives me a headache but I have a friend who drinks it every morning for breakfast Shocked

Apart from that there is Coopers pale ale of course- so much sediment that when I worked in restaurants I would have to explain to interstate visitors that, yes, it was supposed to look like that - which they usually reacted to incredulously. I live near the Barossa so shiraz is my favourite regional drink.
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with msue on the margaritas, but I'm finicky about them -- no frozen, sweet concoctions for me! Cafe Cancun (sadly, long gone) in Dallas made them strong & tart, with fresh lime juice, on the rocks with plenty of salt. Yum!

But there's also Shiner Bock beer, from the Spoetzl brewery in Shiner, TX. I'm old enough to remember when it was a brew local to the Austin area, so no journey to Austin was complete without bringing back a case of Shiner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: