Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Gougères au Cumin (p. 84, US edition)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> The Chocolate & Zucchini Cookbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tealady

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Gougères au Cumin (p. 84, US edition) Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to trying this recipe and before I do, I've got an important question. My oven will only fit one baking sheet at time unless I put one on a rack over the other. I'm assuming that the puffs might not puff properly without the air circulating freely.

So, if I understand the directions correctly, I should pre-heat the oven, put one baking sheet inside, bake for 20 minutes, turn off the oven and open the door a bit, take the sheet out after another five minutes and then begin again, pre-heating the oven, etc., etc.

Is this right? Confused
gingerpale

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just a poster here, but yes, that is how I understand it, tealady. Note that you should return the batter to chill in the fridge while batch #1 is cooking.
It is important that your oven temperature is correct!

Sometimes when I try a new recipe I bake just 2 cookies (or puffs or whatever)--just to see if anything is radically wrong. Better to ruin 2 or 4 little treats than lose a whole tray of 20!
msue

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerpale is right, tealady!

You definitely need the oven to be at the right temperature. Between batches, the batter can sit, covered, in the fridge.

When baking the cheese puffs, oven temperature is an important key to success. Start with the oven at the correct temperature and definitely allow them to sit in the oven for that extra 5 minutes before moving them to a rack for cooling.

You can even bake the second batch the next day if you want, provided you keep the extra batter in the fridge, tightly covered.
tealady

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was afraid of that. I think I'll just make half a recipe then. Thanks for your help!!
gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tealady, please let us know how this turns out!
Queekie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tealady,
This is my first post... so here it goes.
Gougères whether they are cheese, herb or cumin in flavour they do not need to be baked at once. When my husband & I do a dinner party they are a favorite that I make days ahead, then freeze the raw dough.
Straight out of the freezer into a hot 425 oven and they are finished as if they were made that instant. Buon appetito
tealady

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! I may try that Queekie.! Freeze half the dough to use another time. Thanks!!
tealady

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay!!! I made these over the weekend and they were fantastic!! I've got half the dough in the freezer and I'll bake some from that batch sometime in the next couple of weeks.

What I like best about this cookbook is how Clotilde talks me into trying new things without coming across as intimidating. Un grand merci!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> The Chocolate & Zucchini Cookbook All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: