Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Paris with friends

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teezeetoo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Paris with friends Reply with quote

Our favorite bistro has always been Le Scheffer and we are looking for an additional recommendation to share with friends. As with most tourists, we'd love a recommendation where there are fewer of us and more of the French, in Paris, in June. Perhaps in the 7th?
boardoe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a reasonably priced, extremely good bistro in the 7th, try Le Florimond, 9, av de La Motte-Picquet. Particularly good is the house specialty - stuffed cabbage. If it's on the menu try the boudin noir encased in puff pastry; it is fantastic.
Griffin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't know what the food is like, but have you tried Le Procope? This is undoubtedly the oldest cafe in Paris and I am definitely going to go there when I eventually get to Paris... small issue of getting my passport renewed first! Rolling Eyes
simona

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin Dear, go and VISIT Procope, but eating there?
Even 3 X 10 years ago, when I was a poor student in Paris, and Procope was a relatively cheap restaurant, the food was unedible. Today, a famous and expensive tourist trap, it's even worse ( I didn't return there since I "grew up", but friends did , and I trust them). The little passage behind the restaurant is very nice, worth a walk.
What is this thing with your passport? Go get it done, no more excuses for not travelling.

No more war, no more tourist- traps restaurants!
gingerpale

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The owners (is it privately owned by French people?) should be embarrassed to have what they have, what a shame! Maybe the restoration/taxes cost so much that they must gouge tourists and hire mediocre chefs, or close down? Nah!

When Griffin wrote "oldest cafe in Paris" I didn't know he meant the 1600s !! The history of this restaurant is impressive.
Griffin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes! Simona, thanks for the warning. I saw it on a documentary on Paris and actually, Sandrine the presenter (an art historian too!) didn't eat anything, just had a coffee!

But it was the thought of it's age. It's a shame that, as Gingerpale says, the owners have not treated such age with respect. One day, it will all be Clotilde's and then the food will improve dramatically... and be fascinating as well! That's of course after she's finished the latest book!

The elegance of Procope with the elegance of Clotilde would be a match made en Ciel as they say!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: