Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

A food match for vintage champagne?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbara

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: A food match for vintage champagne? Reply with quote

My taste buds have almost returned to normal so I'll soon be drinking that bottle of Cristal I promised myself to follow the end of my chemo treatments. Does anyone have any suggestions for a food to go with it. I don't eat oysters and Bryan won't eat caviar...but maybe he could give me his share of the caviar.
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara- I'm not an oenophile nor am I enough of a gourmet to come up with food equal to this magnificent occasion. Still, I want to raise a glass with you to your great and continuing health. I hope and trust someone else will come up with the inspired answer.

Meanwhile, mind if we salute your great triumph? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PS Do you, perchance, read French? Clotilde's friend Pascale operates this foodblog in which she frequently discusses the pairing of wines and food. http://scally.typepad.com/cest_moi_qui_lai_fait/vin/index.html I hope there's something helpful there.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to go with truffles the chocolate or the fungus.

Let us know when you are toasting, I have a bottle of champagne that is dying to be opened.

"It's hot ham water."
David

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a very simple

CONGRATULATIONS BARBARA

the best is yet to be
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a bottle of Australian Sparkling wine in my fridge waiting to toast Barbara. Let's all celebrate together! Barbara, can you let us know when you plan to open your Cristal so that we can all help you celebrate? We could plan a day, say Friday or whatever, but we could each toast at our own local time so that none of us are drinking at 9am (then again, after some of the night shifts I work, that's exactly what I feel like!)

What fun, an international celebration!
melinda

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay Yay Barbara.......yes, I'll drink a toast to u 2....chocolate truffles would be wonderful...but champagne goes with anything doesn't it? So I'd go with whatever your tastebuds feel like since it's your health we cheer to. Sante (sorry, no accents on my computer.)
swan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congratulations to you,Barbara, from a very snowy but oh, so beautiful Netherlands...I cheer to the idea of all drinking a glass of champagne to you and your health on the same specific day, and maybe to all who can use some goodluck, a cheer or an inspiring thought.
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurrah for you, Barbara! Let me know when to raise my glass.

My food votes are: Lobster, smoked salmon on thin slices of buttered toast (the finest artisanal bread of choice, naturally), either kind of truffle, strawberries with creme fraiche & raw sugar.
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a friend finished chemo, part of her celebration dinner was a simple salad of mixed greens since anything raw disagreed with her during treatment. A cream-based dressing such as traditional Irish salad cream wouldn't fight with wine.

I forgot one of my favorite pairings -- eggs. For many years I attended a fundraising champagne brunch with a main dish of omelettes. Quick, easy, and flavorful. I can almost taste a filling of gruyere, herbs, and truffle shavings or even just a bit of truffle oil as a final drizzle or combined with the raw eggs before cooking.
Barbara

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your wishes and suggestions. I'm thinking the lobster sounds good and if there is any champagne left by dessert time a few chocolate truffles would be nice.

Judy - I've decided to drink the champagne on the evening of Sunday 13th March while we are on holiday at Lindeman Island. I wonder if I could organise a table on the beach?

I shall be thinking of you and wishing you were all with me.

Brighidsdaughter - I'm really enjoying the raw vegies and fresh fruit I can now eat as I too was unable to eat them during treatment.
Erin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara,

The night of the 13th it is! Phil and I will join everyone in drinking to your health.
A table on the beach would be wonderful. Enjoy every minute!

"It's hot ham water."
swan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and here a glass will be raised on the evening of the 13th as well, allthough my evening will be later than yours (or, maybe, champagne for breakfast or lunch?hhhmmm...got to think about that one!)

I like to believe that doing a thing like that, all of us on the same day, gives positive energy, allthough I'm usually very much a down-to-earth kind'a girl.
With a huge soft spot, ofcourse.

Whenever I'm in a church abroad, I , who never goes to church, like to light a candle with the thought: to who-ever needs this. That's kind of what I mean.

Last edited by swan on Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara-

Do you think it would be possible to send you some truffles? I figure truffles that come with a goodwill wish are more powerful than the ones you pick up yourself. ...not that I'm not sure you have your own powerful wishes for your wellbeing, mind you. Wink

If you're comfortable providing the address of the resort (gives you more security than publishing your home address) we could see if we could get the goods past customs to you in the next 10 days. Or could get some indigenous Aussie chocolatier to make a delivery on our behalf. I guess you'd have to give us some other delivery info like a name. You could provide a "screen name" of sorts, which is to say it doesn't need to be your literal name. Just let the resort know that items coming to that name should be delivered to you.

Waddaya think? Wink
Barbara

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey
You are so kind. I'm never one to refuse a gift - especially if it contains chocolate. We are staying at Club Med which is the only resort on the island. Our son is working there which is why we chose to spend the week 10 - 17 March there. I'm sure if you address it to Bryan and Barbara Harris we will get it.
Erin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a wonderful time last night toasting health, happiness and Barbara! I hope you enjoyed the champagne!

"It's hot ham water."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: