Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Which charities do you support?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melinda

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

animal charities, the heart association (more women die of heart disease than cancer), and leukemia society because my Mom died of it 5 yrs ago
emilyj

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a lovely idea Clotilde. I support the Red Cross, I think that their work with refugees, particularly the family tracing service is incredibly important.

Also, the Cancer council and other cancer related charities, Oxfam and Doctors without borders.

Like Georgia, I have been disappointed with some charities in the past. When I lived in Vietnam I noticed that certain charities spent a lot more on fancy buildings and huge salaries than others. There is one (international) charity which has a residence in Hanoi for their regional manager that is almost the same size as the presidential palace. I was horrified and have never given money to that particular charity again.
Rachel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent idea, Clotilde! Like you, I tend to support charities that work to protect the environment or help developing countries help themselves.

The ones I currently support are Oxfam and Carbonfund; I used to give to the Sierra Club when I lived in the States but since moving to the UK I've preferred to support more international charities (we are all in this together, after all!). And one I plan to add to my list once I have a steady job and more spare cash is Terre des Hommes, which combats child abuse, particularly in developing countries.

And yes, Georgia makes an important point about making sure how your donation is spent. Any charity worth its salt should make this clear in its website/publicity materials etc.
cigalechanta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have willed our home to Habitat, our bodies to a University, what money goes to Doctors without borders
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for all the great suggestions!
Clotilde.
tealady

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there room for one more? Please consider the Multiple Sclerosis International Federation which is an international body linking the activities of national MS societies around the world. You can find more information here: http://www.msif.org/language_choice.html. Thanks!!!
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is definitely room for more -- keep them coming!
And thanks, tealady, for that additional suggestion.
Clotilde.
Deste

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the nature of this Web site, it would be wonderful to identify foundations or charities that:
    *look out for small farms, farmers and their workers,
    *establish and nurture farmers markets or venues for selling local food directly to communities w little or no access to fresh foods
    *champion healthful meals in schools, such as Edible Schoolyards (Alice Waters) or Jamie's School Dinners (Jamie Oliver).

Jamie Oliver also has or had a wonderful program that brings inner-city youth into kitchens and offers culinary training as a way to escape poverty. I am not sure if there are similar programs outside the U.K.

The Project for Public Spaces offers grants to diversify the demographics of farmers markets which may be more of an issue in the US (& parts of the UK, so I'm told) than in other parts of the world where outdoor markets still thrive. Here's a link: http://www.pps.org/markets/
GB

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Charities Reply with quote

clotilde wrote:
There is definitely room for more -- keep them coming!
And thanks, tealady, for that additional suggestion.
Clotilde.

Another idea, this one close to my heart as my youngest daughter, Fiona, is at present working with a charity called Tenteleni out in Kenya.

Their aim is to help the peoples of Africa (they have projects in several countries) by providing the services of undergraduates during the summer vacations. They do not give material aid, but provide training and backup to the students so that they can assist with teaching, help with caring for orphans, give advice on Aids/HIV awareness, etc. The students raise the money themselves to pay for their flights and accommodation and receive a small amount of pocket money each week in payment for their work.

I feel my daughter is doing something both very worthwhile and very challenging; not only do the people of Africa benefit but the students come back with a much better perspective on the problems facing developing countries.

Information at www.tenteleni.co.uk
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That reminded me of the Grameen Bank that is set up to create financial independence in the third world so that sustainable economies can be built on this micro economic base.
Donna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are partial to the Heifer Fund, which dinates farm animals to families in developing nations. It allows community groups to provide eggs,milk and meat to their membersand to develop a herd that will permit them to sell these items to others in order to make a living.

http://www.heifer.org/site/c.edJRKQNiFiG/b.201470/
harpospeaking

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I support Heifer too, Donna! I like to idea of contributing a symbolic sheep or llama at the end of the year.

Living in a relatively affluent country whose government does not subsidize the arts as much as I would like, I also firmly believe in supporting the arts. I give to my local public radio stations KPCC and KCRW and I have memberships to my local museums --- the Norton Simon (a hidden gem) and the Huntington Library (enormous and expanding!). Being able to walk in without bothering with the admissions booth is the closest thing I'll ever get to being a VIP.

http://www.nortonsimon.org/

http://www.huntington.org/

I've also enjoyed the American Ballet Theatre lately, so I'll probably cut them a check at the end of the year as well.

http://onegirlonehouse.wordpress.com
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and the Huntington has such gorgeous gardens too!
harpospeaking

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Swan Lake is coming to Los Angeles in March 2008! Reply with quote

One of my newest favorite charities (although they aren't relying heavily on my support), The American Ballet Theatre company is bringing its production of Swan Lake to the Music Center in Los Angeles. I'm so excited!

http://www.musiccenter.org/dance.html

http://onegirlonehouse.wordpress.com
DebbieN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this is a food blog, I'd recommend Mazon (http://www.mazon.org, sorry I can't get the URL tags to work), which funds food banks, organizes community food drives, partners with synagogues and other organizations for yearly/holiday events, and conducts food distribution within the U.S. and around the world. They also encourage anyone celebrating a wedding, bar/bat mitzvah, banquet, or other big food event to donate 3 percent of their food budget to alleviate hunger.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: