Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Peach and Jasmine Tea Sorbet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Peach and Jasmine Tea Sorbet Reply with quote

I had a fun time with the ice cream maker this weekend...

4 large peaches, peeled and pureed in blender
2 tablespoons Absolut Citron vodka
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup severely strong brewed jasmine tea
1/2 cup Splenda or sugar

Blend all until smooth and process in your own ice cream machine/ self crank/ snow ball until its set.

Its VERY worth the exercise or electricity. Wait for that finish of Jasmine after you swallow...its divine!
mandysu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: base recipe from trial and error... Reply with quote

I've been enjoying my ice cream maker this summer as well. My base recipe is to puree fruit, add ~1/3c splenda (I'm diabetic), often ~2T lemon juice (or lime juice, or balsamic vinegar), perhaps ~2T-1/3c alcohol (brandy or rum, if the flavors lend--it also helps keep a low-sugar recipe from turning into an ice cube, aside from just being a little more scandalous than your average frozen confection), and 1/2t-1t xanthan gum (it helps smooth out the sorbet and keep it from being rock hard if there isn't much sugar or fruit pulp). Add water (or more flavorful fluid if you like, such as tea, wine, or flavored sparkling water) until the volume is ~3c (for my 1.5qt Cuisinart), and blend--it should be the consistency of a runny custard. Strain if necessary (a must if you're using berries), chill, and toss in the ice cream freezer.

I've made chocolate-raspberry, blackberry-vanilla-balsamic, coconut lime, blueberry-lemon-sauvignon blanc, basil-lime (with light rum--pleasantly perfumey, but it needed the full tsp xanthan to keep it manageable), apricot-brandy-lavender (inspired by the compote from the cookbook), and banana chocolate. All lovely. I was thinking about trying a saffron-rose sorbet next (after a gelato I saw in Whole Foods)... peach-chai-rooibos would also be good...
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omigoodness!!

You took the flavors right outta my mouth!

When I got back last night, I informed my man that we have to get an ice cream maker.

"We NEED this?" he replied.

"Oh. Very much so." I said.

His eyebrow went wonky until I mentioned all the espresso possibilities, at which point the brows were at full attention.

I had no idea about the Xanthan gum- will relay that to Sorbet Central back in Portland. I assume I can get this at some sort of healthy-type food store? I, too refuse to eat sugar if completely avoidable, and I did notice a few chunks in the batch. Had no idea the alcohol and gum did the trick!

Some flavors were meant to be done: Mojito, espresso and orange, blackberry ginger, strawberry balsamic syrup, and watermelon mint.

I applaud your batches of wonderfulness- let me know if you branch out into savory sorbets like tomato basil, chili lime, spicy thai coconut cream, etc... some fantasies will have to wait!

Happy churning!
emilyj

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased an icecream maker a little while back and l have come to believe that it is an essential item, at least in MY kitchen. It is the middle of winter here so I am getting a few raised eyebrows (but no complaints). I have been working my way through David Lebovitz's 'the perfect scoop' and I have put on about 5 kilos as a result.

So far I've stuck to the relatively usual (read 'wimpy') flavours like raspberry, chocolate, roasted banana, vanilla and fresh mint but I am about to branch out into some more daring combinations- next on my list is orange and szechuan pepper and chocolate chilli (from David's book) but I am considering strawberry basil- inspired by Clotilde's pesto a few months back- will have to wait until Spring to make that one though. I love your ideas though Mandysu - especially the apricot and lavender and the blueberry-lemon-Sav Blanc. I wish I was as creative.

I had a tomato sorbet in a restaurant the other day but I am not sure it is the sort of thing you could eat gallons of so I have shied away from making savory icecreams and sorbets at home.
mandysu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: frozen goodness... Reply with quote

I grew up with an ice cream maker (electric, but requiring ice and salt), so I *had* to get one when I moved out on my own--and the freezer bowl makes it really easy. I recently reclaimed it from my sister (I have a small apartment kitchen, and thought I could live without it, but just couldn't help myself in the recent heat-which-has-now-turned-to-Seattle-gray-damp). I love frozen desserts, and it's so easy to just whip up whatever you feel like (so long as the base tastes good, it'll be fine--which is great, as I don't recall ever having used a recipe!).

The xanthan gum was a trick I learned from looking at ingredient lists and consulting my food science sister. I bought Bob's Red Mill brand at my local grocery store ($12 for aan 8oz bag large enough to last quite a while--they advocate it for general thickening and low-gluten baking). I tried guar gum once, but didn't like the texture (it was a bit slimier, I recall). As I understand it, anything you add that will disrupt the ice crystals will help keep your ice cream/sorbet softer (sugar, fat, fruit pulp, alcohol, fiber, gums, extra air content).
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emilyj and Mandysu- you are inspiring!

As the mercury climbed, even the borrowed dog pooped out after a few rounds of Chuck-The Squirrel (a brand of dog toy, not the real thing). We needed help, and it was on the shelf at Target.

I got all kinds of whines and groans until Brian saw what I put into our new ice cream maker...a few kiwis, some lime zest and juice, Splenda, some Xanthan gum and a splash of Absolut. He suggested I toss in a container of vanilla yogurt. Methinks I have created a monster!!

The texture was lovely, the flavor very strong and cooling, and the vanilla yogurt brought a nice warmth to the whole thing. I am so appreciative of you ladies and your help! I hope to rip through all the list of flavors you both have listed and create a few more!!

I did cheat on the ice thing, though- in the operating room, we pour ice and a few bottles of rubbing alcohol together to freeze saline to make slush. I used alcohol and ice- but just a little to get the bottom of the canister submerged, merely as a starter. I had two cups of icy goodness in about fifteen minutes. I don't really recommend this daredevil stunt unless you are really sure your maker is new enough to not spark, and don't use more than a cup of alcohol or two if you can- its just to chill the floor of the container until the ice melts.

Gonna go stick my head in the fridge and see what I can come up with for tonight- was thinking Vanilla Chai Bolthouse and Ranier cherries. Just a funny thought- has anyone done grape sorbet? I know its cliche' to peel grapes for your man, but he's worth it!
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knifethrower, this recipe

http://www.epicurious.com/cooking/menus/cooknow/recipes/13657

lets you process the grapes, then press to leave solids behind. Looks like it's a gorgeous tri-color dessert, and as easy as--way easier than--pie.

The cold grape treat I have tried in my ice cream machine is a mix including Welch's grape juice and sweetened condensed milk--kids (and I) love it, it's very flavorful, very sweet, and very purple. (But not, I think, what you're looking for!)
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gingerpale,

Thanks for the link! The three grape dessert looks like one I will DEFINITLEY make when harvest season arrives back in Oregon-mmmm...Pinot noir grapes, chardonnay, champagne...WOW!

We settled on plain old watermelon for this evening, and have a bottle of organic Concorde grape juice for later in the week. I might throw in some whole milk yogurt to make it more playful instead of condensed milk- it does sound TOTALLY wicked, though. I'll just live vicariously through you.

The logical part of me will have to kick in at some point when I consider borscht and sour cream sorbet.... "Step awaaaaaay from the blender!"
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emilyj-

I forgot to ask you for more on that roasted banana sorbet, if you please.

Thanks!
emilyj

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jen,
Here's the recipe for the roasted banana icecream.

Roasted Banana Icecream
From David Lebovitz 'The Perfect Scoop'

3 Ripe bananas
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tblsp butter, cut into cubes
1 1/2 cups whole milk
2 tblsp white sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract or 1/4 tsp of vanilla paste
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt

Toss the bananas together with the sugar and butter and bake in the oven for 40 minutes at 200 degrees C/ 400 degrees F.
Scrape the bananas and their syrup into the food processor and add all the other ingredients. Process until smooth.
Chill it in the fridge for about 4 hours or overnight then freeze it in your icecream maker.

I haven't tried this with splenda but I would imagine that you could use that instead of the white sugar without too many issues.
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emilyj,

Oh, Heavens to Betsy!

This sounds marvelous...once it cools down enough to use the oven, or I get back to PDX (whichever comes first), I'll let you know how the Splenda version works.

Merci, merci, merci!

Jen
emilyj

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrgh- I just realised that I should have said bake the bananas with the brown sugar- you add the white sugar afterwards in the food processor with the rest of the ingredients. Hopefully it turned out anyway!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: