Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

How often do you try a new recipe?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xcskier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: How often do you try a new recipe? Reply with quote

It often takes much time to cook something new, yet we all need something different every now and then. How frequently do you venture in the kitchen, charting uncooked recipes?
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XC,

I don't get really fresh local or organic produce very often in Montana, but I can tell you that when I get a chance to hit the farmers market, you can bet its going to be an off-the-chart meal, usually unscripited. I rarely use a recipe- I refer to them when I have one or two ingredients that I have on hand and need inspiration for, or if I am baking, a real formula to follow.

Long answer at last: about once a week or two, or when I am in Portland every few months. (I don't cook during the week, and when I do, its off the top of my head).
Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My list titled "recipes I've tried and liked" has about 200 entries and I probably add no more than half a dozen recipes to it in a year. But I often change the recipes in some way. For example, I made my regular stir fry of red bell pepper, white mushrooms and bok choy tonight, but instead of just stir frying the sliced leftover pork chop in oil and adding it to the dish I did a separate sauté of the pork with hoisin and added it after the rest of the stir fry was finished and off the heat. I was hoping it would make the morsels of pork stand out from the vegetables but the effect was very subtle. Next time I'll try a small amount of chili oil along with the hoisin.
jennyflame

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually make something new 2-3 times a week. I usually get loads of recipes from people to try.

The rest of the week is old favorites.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do all my big cooking for the weel on Sundays, and usually once a month I feel completely bored of everything in my normal tried and true repertoire and I usually freshen things up 1 of 2 ways.
1) I go to a market I haven't visited before and let inspiration hit me
2) I search the food blogosphere for inspiration, and let fellow internet food lovers be my muses

Smile

B
www.handtomouthkitchen.wordpress.com
thehandandthemouth@gmail.com
Richard Leader

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 maybe 5 times a week? I get really bored cooking the same thing again - always try to ring the changes
happywife

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, I don't try new recipes as often as I should. I generally do try something new if I am having company or taking potluck somewhere. I love food and cooking, but my dear husband has very narrow tastes. So basically, new recipes must be eaten mostly by me - not good for the hips. =)
NotQuiteJuneCleaver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How often do you try a new recipe? Reply with quote

When my husband is home probably 3-4 times a week. He works in the Mediterranean & is gone a month at the time. When he is gone we mostly "root hog or die" which is to say "eat to stay alive". Some of the best times of my life are in the kitchen along side him. He is quite the chef and very often develops lovely food -from where I do not know! Just has an amazing palate.
kitchensqueen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an absurd cookbook and recipe collection, yet I only try new stuff once or twice a month. But if like something, it'll definitely end up in my reperatoire!
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For various reasons I try at least one new dish every day. Sometimes it's an entree. Sometimes a side. And sometimes it's a complete plated meal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: