Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Food related mid-life career change...HELP!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shanti,shanti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Food related mid-life career change...HELP! Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I'm not sure if most of the people on this board are working in the food industry, or working elsewhere and spending lots of time writing about food, but I have a question that I hope all your experiences can give me some ideas for.

I am currently a teacher of English language and Peace Studies with an MA in Applied Linguistics. This has allowed me to have a great time living in various countries and meeting all sorts of wonderful people. I feel I've dedicated myself to my career, and have given it a good go of neigh on 10 years. But...

At the beginning of 2008 my husband and I will return to New Zealand and I am looking to make a fresh start. I would really like to do something more related to food which seems to be a bigger passion for me than linguistics. What am i to do?

I love all things creative (including cooking, writing, photography, blogging, art, etc) and am willing to study or re-train in whatever way is necessary. I just need to decide on exactly what I want to do. Easy, right?

I'd love to hear how others on this thread are involved with food to give me some ideas in dealing with my little mid-life change (I'm 37).

Many thanks!
Barbara

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanti I'm sure you realise NZ is such a small market with less opportunities than more populated countries. I'm not in the food business so can't say what is available here. I do know Le Cordon Bleu is about to open a school down Palmerston North way which might be useful for retraining in that field.

I once made enquiries about getting into a magazine test kitchen but personal circumstances prevented me from taking it any further.

We do have some great food magazines here and it might be worth contacting them. You might think about writing some Japanese food experiences they could publish before you arrive.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanti,shanti, I don't really have a food-related career, although I do sell cookbooks, but I'm writing to encourage you to follow your heart and do what you want to do. And 37 isn't anywhere near 'mid-life'! You're still a young woman - plenty of time for a few more career changes yet! Don't 'they' say that people will have 5 or more careers during their working life? I'm only onto my second.

I quit my nursing job last year at the age of 45 to concentrate on selling books online and haven't looked back. You can read more about it here and see what other C&Zers have done here

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: