Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

How did you commemorate an important milestone with a trip?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harpospeaking

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: How did you commemorate an important milestone with a trip? Reply with quote

I never thought I'd make it this far . . . although to some of you on the boards who've lived more fully, 35 is a tiny milestone. Regardless, I'd like to reward myself next May with a lovely, no-regrets vacation. I'd like to go someplace that is truly spectacular next year.

On that note, would you mind sharing stories about how you commemorated an important milestone in your life with travel or a trip? (I guess the most popular way of commemorating a milestone in life is the honeymoon, but as I'll be traveling alone, that's not quite what I'm looking for.) Wink

NOTE: Right now, I'm kind of leaning toward someplace tropical because I really got my butt kicked in Paris last year. Specifically, the man in the metro ticket booth told me off in French for not specifying that I wanted to buy a carte d'orange for the week. His exact words were "When you go to the bakery, you don't just ask for "bread" do you?" That sort of tell-off just wouldn't work in the States, but I do have revenge fantasies of assaulting this man with a loaf of Wonder Bread. Very Happy

http://onegirlonehouse.wordpress.com
Barbara

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How wonderful to have a celebration trip to look forward to. Many of my celebration trips have been to Paris. All have involved food. I tend to chose my destination on the restaurants/ markets I want to visit or type of food I desire. As you will be on your own have you considered a resort like Club Med. My son works for Club Med and we spent a week at Club Med Lindeman Island in 2005. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. The staff were excellent, the food exceeded my expectations and we met really nice people. You can choose to sit on your own or share a table with other guests. We have remained in contact with people we met while there. The guests were a mixture of ages from families to older people. Probably best to avoid school holidays though.
Here's my thoughts on it if you are interested.
http://winosandfoodies.typepad.com/my_weblog/2005/03/club_med_lindem.html
Griffin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An almost trip was on my 6th birthday. My dad knew somebody who worked on a beeg ship and I was taken with my family and my uncle to the ship where we had a little birthday cake and I had Happy Birthday sung to me.

The other not-going-anywhere-but-did-once trip that marked a milestone was when I was 7. Before I was taken to Guy's Hospital in London for major heart surgery I was taken to the Cutty Sark ship. I think it interested my dad more than me, but I do remember it.

Most birthdays since I've hit 30 were days I took myself out and did something special in another town. A good meal a mini bottle of Champagne and then I'd buy myself a present. Happy Birthday to me and then home.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Happy Birthday to me and then home.

Griffin, on what day of the year does this birthday usually occur? You may make your answer a puzzle, if you like--make us work for it!
Griffin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, My birthday is a triplicity of Dante's sacred number. The day is the trinity of trinities, the month the same number in the old calendar and the year (last two numbers) also equals the same number.
msue

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin, I sent you a PM with a guess...it is totally random, so forgive me if I made you loads older than you actually are or you want to be!!
gingerpale

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL-- Griffin you're a hard teacher!* I've sent you a pm too, but I'm not confident. If I'm right, you share a birthday with a very talented but troubled American singer...?

*I was expecting more like "add the number of letters in Peter Pan's middle name to the number of stained glass windows in Charlotte Church.."

By the way, today is Alfred Hitchcock's birthday!
cigalechanta

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year, I went alone to Paris after taking care of my beloved blind dog with canine alzheimers died. I was so depressd. My husband doesn't enjoy big cities, did not like Paris so off I went, had a fantastic time. I think also it was meant to be because we do go to France every year,
We had our tickets paid for and bookings and the dark happned he was told he had a rare cancer, Bile Duct, he had the whipple operation, 21 days in hospital. He's in remission now and we are going to France again in early September. Lif is looking up fpor us.
Barbara

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news Cigalechanta. I'm sure you will have a great trip.
harpospeaking

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking about going to a surfing school in Costa Rica. I've never tried surfing, but exploring this part of Costa Rica and learning to surf at the same time sounds like fun. We'll see . . .

http://witchsrocksurfcamp.com/

http://onegirlonehouse.wordpress.com
Barbara

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harpospeaking that does look fun. You've made me think about trying it myself when I'm on the Gold Coast of Australia later this year.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harpospeaking, did you see that there is also yoga instruction offered?

I can't help but revert to a teenage expression--this looks like a blast!
srk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harpospeaking, I haven't really taken trips to commemorate milestones (yet), but I've taken a couple of awesome trips just because I could. Tropical sounds lovely, but if you're as into food as most folks on this blog are, maybe you'd enjoy coupling it with cooking lessons, or a food-themed tour of some sort. If you're looking for possible company, I read about an inexpensive type of cruise - I think maybe from EasyJet? - where you basically use the cruise ship as a place to sleep and meet people, and you dock all day and do whatever you want. I'm pretty sure the trip I read about was in the Caribbean.

About my not commemorating milestones yet, though - I'm thinking of doing some traveling after I finish my Ph.D., hopefully sometime between January and March. So if anyone can think of a spectacular place to go in those months, do share! Note: I'll likely be a small 26-year-old female traveling alone, so I'd prefer safe and spectacular.
Griffin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msue, gingerpale...

I'm not seeing any pm's... assuming you meant private messages and not Prime Ministers... tho' I'm fortunately not seeing any of those.

My birthday is the 9th of November, originally the ninth month and I was born in 1963 - 6 + 3 making 9. Dante describes 9 as a sacred number in the Vita Nuova because it's root is 3 which signifies the Holy Trinity - there's also the 'Holy' Trinity in Hinduism of Brahma the Creator, Vishnu and Shiva the Destroyer and Lord of Regeneration. This year I shall be 44, but NEXT year... a nine birthday!!

Then I may, cash permitting go to Paris or Venice... or possibly Australia or NZ (my ex-girlfriend is in NZ). Or I may go to Brighton and just spend a week there by the sea... wishing I was living there... sigh!

Harpospeaking,

I reckon you should go back to Paris... with a loaf of wonder bread and track that guy down... to his lair!!! Tho' I admit Costa Rica sounds good and you'd surely get good coffee there too.

As both of mine so far were almost-trips, I really ought to get around to a definite one.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin--I wonder why you aren't getting the personal messages? Immediately after this post, I will try to pm--

My guess was Shocked wrong--I got the 9, (trinity of trinities=9, plus I looked up the Dante clue) and I got the 1963 (I knew your age from a previous post!) but the old calendar tripped me up--though NOVember is a giant hint, like NOVena. I guessed August, for googled reasons too fragmented to explain!

If I had a trip to take, my choice, alone or with Rich, I think I would agonize for many many days before finally choosing the Greek Islands. I was there 30 years ago, so I might be disappointed, but being there made me happy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: