Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

London calling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: London calling Reply with quote

As a first-time London-goer, I don't know which restaurants/cafes I should look out for. Any suggestions? I'm headed there in a week, and would welcome any advice!

thanks!
Griffin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a copy of Time Out magazine, which will tell you what's going on in the capital from food to exhibitions to music and the like. For a light snack that's pretty good, Pain Quotidien is good near Waterloo Bridge on the South Bank. You can also, on a good day, stand on the Bridge and sing Waterloo Sunset... which will get you either strange looks from people or they'll join in!

The restaurant at the National Gallery's Sainsbury Wing is good and if you can still move after you've eaten there are some fabulous pictures to look at too.
Donna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ADORE the little cafe in St. Martins in the Fields - directly across from the National Portrait Gallery. The food is made with extraordinary care - it's simple and delicious and there are lots of options. And good desserts as well. There is also a little gift shop with cards, posters and CD's from the Academy orchestra of SMF.

We spent the entire morning at the Portrait Gallery and then sashayed across the street to a delightful lunch in a charming setting.
Rachel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cafe in St Martin in the Fields is lovely, but unfortunately the whole church is closed for renovation til the end of September - so if you're coming to London next week it won't be an option. Sad But you can have an incredible Indian meal (for a very reasonable price, by London standards anyway) at Rasa Samudra in Charlotte Street. And talking of gallery cafes/restaurants, the restaurant at Tate Britain is great - very good food in gorgeous surroundings (it's decorated with a mural by Rex Whistler depicting the denizens of the imaginary land of Epicuranea in search of rare meats with which to revive their jaded palates).

If it's just a snack you're after, there's a venerable French patisserie in Soho called Maison Bertaux. It's been there since 1871 and when you taste the pastries you'll understand why!
harpospeaking

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been visiting a small family run Greek restaurant near the British Museum in Bloomsbury (Tube: Tottenham Court Road) since my first trip to London in 2000. It's called Konaki and has amazing food including incredibly tender lamb kabobs, tasty and smooth hummus and homemade pita bread. They offer prix-fixe menus for around 20 pounds and the restaurant is small and intimate.

http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/restaurants/restaurant-974.php

http://onegirlonehouse.wordpress.com
Comet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've probably already left but just in case...
I don't remember the name, but I can tell you there is a great little french restaurant near Earls Court tube station. It's not far down a little lane way, if you feel like wandering. I know there was an internet cafe near the laneway entrance...sorry not very helpful.
They have a 3 course deal which I feel was 10 pounds but am wondering if this could be true? Anyway, it was great value. Try and find it!
Also, if you have a sweet tooth: I had an addiction to these yoghurt coated cashew nuts froma little shop called Cranberry. They have stalls everywhere, at tube stations and shopping centres. A bit pricey, but so yummy!
Great value big breakfast at any Witherspoons pub.
Also, you must eat out in Brick lane. Great place for Indian food, good fun atmposphere.
Hope you get this...
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After browsing through the recipes in their fabulous new cookbook, I'd love to go to one of the Ottolenghi Cafes.

I'm really sorry we didn't know about them when we were in London earlier this year.

Has anyone been lucky enough to visit one?

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Barbara

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jude - I'm loving the book, although I haven't cooked from it yet.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so pleased you're enjoying it, Barbara. I'm looking forward to reading about what you've cooked from it.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Rachel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy, I've been lucky enough to live within reasonable walking distance of their Islington cafe for the last 3.5 years - but unlucky to be on a student budget much of that time, so not really able to afford a meal there! However, once in a blue moon I treat myself to their tartlets and meringues, which are excellent. I've been very tempted to buy the cookbook, but have so far restrained myself - although one of my flatmates has it, so I once borrowed it and made the broad bean and radish salad, which I can highly recommend.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several recipes given on the Ottolenghi website

http://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/blog/category/recipes

the little potato and carmelized shallot tarts --I've had pizza with same ingredients, and everybody sort of stops talking 'til it's gone!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: