Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Cherry Clafoutis
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey wrote:

IF Clotilde ever does decide that the recipes and, perhaps techniques, should be gathered together, I'd be happy to volunteer for some duty. It would be handy if they were all in one place and I'd be pleased to do my share.

A list of the recipes in the forums that are NOT under "Recipe Box" is what I propose. Just names & locations, no lists of ingredients or methods.

Most of the "hidden" recipes are in "Cooking and Eating", but you know how the threads wander. (There is a recipe for spelt bread in the "Resources" forum, for example.)
Do you think this is do-able/worth doing?
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only Clotilde could say.

In fact, "Recipes" was a topic created rather later than the bulk of the forums. So, once upon a time, they popped up wherever they flowed from the conversation. I think, if it were possible to look at just recipes, most of them would pre-date the creation of the "Recipes" topic.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok! Just so everybody knows there's gold in them thar forums.

And back on topic, I chickened out and did not make clafouti--raspberries too special to take chances with. Instead a tried and true vanilla butter batter cake that always works for me and we gobble up. Spread in pan, top with ANY summer fruit.
GB

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Cherry clafoutis Reply with quote

Barbara: I have just seen your post re Julia Child's clafoutis recipe.

This is the recipe I always used and swore by - until we moved to Norfolk and the book went missing ! I have Volume 2 of the Penguin edition and keep trying to find Volume 1 in second hand bookshops as it is now out of print, but so far no luck. Could you possibly let me have the recipe ?

With many thanks.
Barbara

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GB
How awful to have lost the book. I bought mine for $1 at a flea market. Perhaps you will be as lucky to find one. Here's the reicpe.

2 cups cherries

Mixture
1 1/4 cups milk
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup sifted all purpose flour

METHOD
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
While oven is heating put on an apron and rubber gloves.
Remove the pits of 2 cups cherries. It is very messy and you'll be glad you're wearing an apron and gloves.
In an electric blender place all the above ingredients in order as written. Cover and blend 1 minute at top speed.
Pour a 1/4 inch layer of batter into 7 - 8 cup lightly buttered fireproof baking dish or Pyrex pie plate 1 1/2 inches deep (I used a oven proof china flan dish ).

Set over moderate heat (use an asbestos mat if dish is not fire proof) for a couple of minutes until the film of batter has set in the bottam of the dish. Remove from the heat. Spread the cherries over the batter. Pour on the rest of the batter.

Place in the middle of the oven and bake for about an hour. It is done when it has puffed and browned, and a needle or knife plunged in the centre comes out clean.

Sprinkle top with powdered sugar just before bringing it to the table. It need not be served hot but it should still be warm. It will sink slightly as it cools.
Here are pics on my blog. I have also made it with blueberries.
http://winosandfoodies.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/01/todaycherries.html
GB

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Cherry clafoutis Reply with quote

Barbara: Thank you very much for the Julia Childs recipe.

Apologies for not thanking you sooner but have been too busy to blog !

By the way, your holiday photos are lovely - summer here has disappeared(again) so it was nice to see some sunshine !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: