Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

cooking classes in Paris...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pounagate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: cooking classes in Paris... Reply with quote

As it was nicely pointed out to me, most of you may not read French, so I'll try again in English.
Does any of you know about a place where one can take cooking classes in Paris (or around)? Friends of mine from California will visit me in June, but they don't speak French, and one of them is a vegetarian, so that makes things a little complicated. If you happen to know about a place providing such service, please let me know and I will give you in return my special recipe: burnt-to-perfection toasts!
willson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: cooking classes in Paris... Reply with quote

I've been to classes with Samira Hradsky who has a lovely kitchen (approx metro Argentine as I recall). Lovely kitchen, lively, small classes (I was part of a group of 4) and included eating the results. Food Unites the World

have also been to Le Cordon Bleu, which does English translated demo & practical classes. Very professional but also entertaining for the amateur. Look at the "Gourmet Sessions" .LCB

Escoffier at the Ritz Hotel is apparently already sold out for the year when I looked at them last. Have not attended there but would like to. Ecole Ritz Escoffier
swaldron

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: cooking classes in Paris... Reply with quote

Quote:
Does any of you know about a place where one can take cooking classes in Paris (or around)? Friends of mine from California will visit me in June, but they don't speak French, and one of them is a vegetarian, so that makes things a little complicated. If you happen to know about a place providing such service, please let me know and I will give you in return my special recipe: burnt-to-perfection toasts!

Here is my research from a trip to Paris two years ago. I ended up taking a one-day class at the Cordon Bleu, which was quite fun. (It was the market class, and while the chef didn't really show us much at the market, the translator did, so it was useful and fun.)

On a side note, I think the price of these cooking classes is ludicrous. One class in Florence cost almost $400 per person! I bumped into them at the local market near my apartment, did some quick math.... the teacher was making $1600 for letting some people trail around with her while she did her shopping, then showing them how to make some pasta in her apartment! (Nice work if you can get it....)

Le Cordon Bleu
http://www.cordonbleu.net/International/English/dp_main.cfm

Ritz Escoffier School (1st)
15 Place Vendôme; 01-43-16-30-50 and 888-801-1126
http://www.lenotre.fr/Modules/Ecoles/Amateur.asp

Francoise Meunier Cours de Cuisine
http://www.theinternationalkitchen.com/parisclass.htm

Cooking class in Paris with Samira Hradsky
Min. 2-3 people, $220 per person
(sorry, no contact info)

Susan
Quote:
creampuff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: cooking classes in Paris... Reply with quote

I've done a bit of research on French cooking classes.
My personal choice is Paule Caillat. She does market tours with classes in her home and gourmet walking tours in English for individuals and small groups. I can't vouch for the class since I don't take it until May 3. I assume she can customize a bit for your vegetarian friends. They should also check out Vegetarian Times issue from January 2003 with a discussion of gourmet vegetarian dining in Paris.

Paule can be reached at info@promenadesgourmandes.com

Shaw guides has a lot of info on cooking schools
www.shawguides.com

Good luck.
cucina testa rossa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for two very different types of classes, my vote is also with Francoise Meunier and the Ritz Escoffier. But it depends on what type of experince you are looking for. down to earth, hands on, casual or elegant observation....

Francoise Meunier's Ecole de Cuisine had a bright sunny atelier in the 2nd and always a very international mix of people in the class. It's hands on and everyone participates and preps/cooks part of the meal. then everyone gathers at a large table and feasts. Francoise speaks at least 5 languages (including Japanese) so no one feels left out. She also does market tours in the morning.

The Ritz is a two hour demonstration class of a menu and you get samples as the chef prepares them. The chef that taught my class was charming and handsome and there was someone there to translate as he taught in French. You can have tea before in the garden or stop in for a drink at the Hemingway bar after. A lovely day....

there is also a great new place in the 8th called Atelier des Chefs (http://www.atelierdeschefs.com/) on 10, rue de Penthievre. I went there in December and it is beautiful, hip, chic, cool, gorgeous. Almost Hotel Costes-ish without the attitude and pretention (well maybe a little from the woman at the front) but a lovely set-up. They have an amazing program at lunch. 15 (i think) euros for a 1 hour cooking lesson and lunch. The first half hour is the cooking lesson, one plate, and the next 30 mintues the class gathers at a very long high table and dines ensemble. they book out pretty far in advance so call ahead for reservations.

hope this helps, laura
sacramentosue

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the lovely list of cooking classes. I'll be in Paris June 20-28 and am sorry I'll miss the vegetarian extravaganza (my daughter has adopted this lifestyle and I'm trying to find gourmet vegetarian recipes so I'll await follow-up postings with baited breath.)

The good news is that I plan to attend Paule's Promenade Gourmand half-day class and one of her market tours. If any of you have experienced her teaching or will be attending in June, please let me know. Merci bien.

Sue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cornette

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a lot of adds in the Good Food Magazine. All English Speaking Cooking courses in France.
Very expensive.
Just take a Dutch cooking course in French.
Most of us speak English Very Happy

Cornette
creampuff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be taking her class next week and will post my impressions when I get back. If you are looking for a home cooking experience I think it will be fine. If you want something more professional or classic it might not be the best choice from the feedback I got from acquaintances who have taken her class. My preference was for the personal, home-style experience, so I chose Paule.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: