Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Dutch liquorice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ketel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Dutch liquorice Reply with quote

After a short journey in the Netherlands, I became very fond of dutch liquorice. Unfortunately, as far as I known, only huge amounts are sold on internet and with a high shipping price. I do not have the opportunity to go myself to the Netherlands in the next months.

If someone in the Netherlands, or travelling often there, is interested, I propose an exchange : a parcel of various dutch liquorice for a same-weight and same-price parcel of french specialities.

Avis aux amateurs!

Ketel
Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am assuming you live in France....

There are places in Paris that you can buy all different liquorice. My husband and his boss are both addicts to the stuff (I cannot stand it!).

If you let us know where you live (ie town, not specific address) then I can help you with a place to buy it retail.
ketel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Dutch liquorice - 2 Reply with quote

I indeed live in France and I go very often to Paris. So I am highly interested by your infos about liquorice shops!
Elsbeth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! I am relatively new on this board but this post is right up my street. I live in the Netherlands, and would be more than happy to send a package of Liquorice. Just not too big, because I am a student and even a package of French goodies will not make up for not being able to pay my rent Wink
What were your favourite brands/flavours?
Hope to hear from you, Elsbeth

Just found this site: http://www.holland-at-home.nl/bsnoep-dropb-c-15.html?language=En
Maybe an idea?
ketel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Dutch liquorice Reply with quote

Hi Elsbeth,

Thank you very much for your offer! My favourite liquorice is the simplest one, without colored sugar cover. I would be very happy if you could send me one or two boxes of 500g of such liquorice, with various flavours.

What are your favourite french goodies?

Cheers,

Ketel
Elsbeth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

French food has won my heart in the last month, with a vacation to the Dordogne region and Paris. Unfortunately my favourite french things are fresh! Goats cheese, the bread, the wonderfull vegetables at organic farmers markets... I will think more about your question with the help of my boyfriend, who is French speaking Belgian and has lot's of experience with french supermarkets! You will hear from me soon about that.
About the liquorice: you prefer salty or sweet? And do you know a brand or a supermarket where you bought them? Because there are so many sorts!!!
Will check posting costs too...
Very Happy Elsbeth
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ketel..hi there!

oh if only you were in Sydney Smile I'd take you to The Dutch Shop...

http://sydney.citysearch.com.au/E/V/SYDNE/0028/12/30/1.html

one of my favourite places...Dutch Dutch Dutch!

let me know if you ever come over the seas to Oz...it would be a joy to take you to this little piece of Holland in Australia...
ketel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Dutch liquorice Reply with quote

Madameshawshank, your offer is just wonderful! Unfortunately, I do not plan to change world side very soon... Thank you so much!

Elsbeth, I like very much Venco liquorice. I didn't try the salty one yet, but I am very eager to test it. Maybe a small box? Concerning french goodies, cheese indeed is difficult to post, especially dangerous for the postman, but there are many alternatives. What about calissons, chestnut cream or tapenade?
Elsbeth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought of wonderfull macarons, other nut cookies, and your suggestion of tapenade sounds great too. No idea what calissons are, but am eager to try everything! A surprise package would also be very welcome, because I don't know enough about french specialities yet. Not too keen on preserved meat though...
Don't worry about the cheese, I will just have to look at my boyfriend with my sweet look and go to Champagne or Paris Wink
Salty liquorice is one of my favourites, will check if I can find some for you. Venco is indeed sold in big boxes, the sweet has an orange label right?
Posting is not too expensive, so that won't be a problem, I can send 2 kilo's for 8 or 11 euro's, depending if I choose priority or not. Priority will mean you will have your 'stash' at home in 2 to 3 days! Quite fast I think...
I can see this weekend what I can buy and send, and than we will have to exchange adresses, best to do that with private messages I think...

Ok, will have to continue with some things now, hope to hear from you soon!
Elsbeth
ketel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Dutch liquorice Reply with quote

Calissons are a South France speciality: sweet marzipan with a sugar cover (my description sounds so poor compare to this little delight...) If you like marzipan, it is something to try, for sure!

I indeed try a Dropmix box with an orange Venco label. It didn't last long...

Please, don't choose "priority" for the parcel: I'm not in a hurry (especially if I may expect 2kg of liquorice!) and it will cost you much less.

I'm a bit busy at work right now. Is it OK if I send your parcel only at the end of next week?
Elsbeth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely no problem. I will look for the total cost this weekend, and will probably buy the liquorice already. This also for you, because I have the suspicion that liquorice is a bit cheeper that the french delights you are promissing me!! The calissons sound absolutely wonderfull, and am looking forward to trying these.
I would like to have your email adress though, for further contact... your profile is a bit bare for the moment!
Am looking forward to this exchange!
Elsbeth
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calissons! ..exquisite...almost angeliclike...wings...little and gorgeous..oh yummy
gingerpale

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame how in the world do you pronounce the name of the little Dutch shop you linked to?
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerpale sweetness...I only shop there..and know it as The Dutch Shop...have phoned the shop and asked for pronunciation..have a feeling, from the smile in the woman's voice, that she wasn't expecting such a question at 9.06am

I came across the place via a couple I knew years back...I was doing some palliative care work..and these dear two were from Holland...so much of our conversation ended up in Holland as it were!

best I can remember:

ert (softly) vinkel ch

heavy on the vinkel Wink

now, ma dear, you are able to say 'store' in Dutch...

ain't this a great site...c&z!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: