Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Garrison Keillor debuts in Australia
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Garrison Keillor debuts in Australia Reply with quote

Perhaps some of you have noticed that my sigs tend to quote a fellow named Garrison Keillor. Well, now, it appears, you get to see why if you've a mind to.

Here is a letter from the Prairie Home Companion website:

Quote:
The Hon. G Keillor,
We now get your show on Australia's Radio National on Sunday night at 7 pm. Sunday evening is now so different. I relax with some good Aussie red, a comfortable chair in front of the fire and turn on a beautiful radio. And there you are from across the sea. Public radio here is some of the best in the world and you have made it better. Many thanks. It is wonderful to have you at home.

Robin E.
Adelaide, Australia

DebbieN

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Garrison Down Under Reply with quote

But do Aussies really get the ketchup jokes? (see, we get to stay on a food-related topic) And what, oh what, do they make of his singing?

I've loved that show, minus the syrupy gospel numbers (though I love bluegrass), for more than 20 years now. Even if that's a little more than it's actually been on the air...has it really been that long? Have I really been with the same Keillor-obsessed guy for that long?...guess so. Can Click & Clack be far behind?

I found a copy of the old Guy Noir boxed set of shticks from the early days and I can say, he's much improved over time. The early episodes all, and I do mean all, end up with him getting shot, often by his blonde client, occasionally by the cleaning lady, rarely by the vice president (so he's one up on that score). Thank g-d they didn't try a whole boxed set of the sound effects guy, whose work I adore, but in small doses...

BTW, did you see the movie of the show? I gave it a marginal B minus, but it was worth renting. Lily Tomlin is always worth watching. (Again, can Tom and Ray be faaah(r) behind?)
David

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to put in a plug here for the Canadian equivalent of Keillor (who I enjoy----but what about that dreadful movie!!!!! What was that!?????) We are blessed with a folksy Jimmy Stewartish sounding fellow named Stuart MacLean who presents a programme on CBC called The Vinyl Cafe. Absolutely wonderful! It plays on CBC 1 at noon on Sundays and delighted Dick and I many a day during the uncomfortable drive from hospital to home.
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine how Garrison or references to ketchup will translate. Don't know what Aussies will make of the references to the Minnesota cold or mosquitoes either. But human nature is human nature and GK being a story teller and having, I think, quite a fine grasp of what's universal about people being foolish, familiar, infuriating and really quite fine, I'd guess some will respond to him as I do. 'Least I'd like to think there's still some place to celebrate what's fine and decent about America when so much that isn't is what the rest of the world gets steamrolled by.

David, I loved CBC when I lived in Vancouver but can't say I have a memory of the broadcaster you mentioned. Sounds like I missed something I would have enjoyed.

My favorite show or segment was one where people would call in their personal stories on a theme like the worst present your mom ever made you take to a birthday party or the oddest thing that ever had to be cleaned from the chimney or the Christmas present you most coveted and never got. The ordinary listeners came up with things that were touching and funny and thoughtful and I remember being soooo impressed with how amazingly literate and expressive Canadians were.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be mean-spirited, Evil or Very Mad is no one put off by some of Mr. Keillor's behavior/views that have been a little--well, mean-spirited? I am a fan, (and found the movie funny and great!), but have to admit I was disappointed, just a little.
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What mean-spirited stuff have I missed?
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a mild-to-moderate storm after this article appeared in Salon salon.com. Some people found it homophobic.

http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2007/03/14/keillor/

(He did apologize, in print, later.) Also I've read criticism about the 3 wives, and cheating on the first 2. Only in a perfect world I suppose are all vows honored.

But he makes me laugh, no doubt about it.
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. I remember when Andrew Sullivan (whom I greatly admire) got himself all worked up about that only to figure out later that it was all meant as ironic humor and at his own expense.

Sorta like that Billy Collins poem I once quoted because I found his reading to be so sweet and funny. ...only when I copied it in black and white it was quite chilling in its lack of apparent humor.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just go off at a tangent here for a second (many apologies to Madame who detests such off-topic posts *snigger*), but while I know nada about Mr Keillor, I adore Click & Clack and Car Talk.

Last December we spent quite a few hours driving a honking great SUV from Mt Vernon to Okanogan, listening to endless episodes of Car Talk and almost wetting ourselves laughing. Somehow it seemed appropriate that we were driving the biggest gas-guzzler we'd ever seen whilst listening to those guys. It was a great trip.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy, I've never once heard Click and Clack, but I live with one of their biggest fans--If he had to choose to between us I'd be very (very!) nervous.

Rainey, (Andrew Sullivan just married his partner, days ago!) GK's never-ending skill at storytelling and the respect I have for A. Sullivan's intellect are both huge. But in this particular one-time case I'd give a very slight edge to Sullivan. GK said he was sorry, so to some extent I guess he did too.
PC humor is hardly definable. Some people put the emphasis on humor, and some on the "pc" part.
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click and Clack are amazing! I couldn't give 1 1/2 rats' *sses about cars but they are a hoot!

I'm glad to see we are both on the same channel about Andrew Sullivan — not because I agree with him more than 50% of the time but because I think he's one of the very few voices in the national dialogue where you know intellectual and personal integrity is #1 — and speaking of his integrity, he read a little more GK and admitted that GK's record on human rights is flawless and he, AS, had missed the intended irony.

But I'm losing my sense of humor and putting altogether too fine a point on this.

And I read AS daily so I realized he was finally taken advantage of MA law and taken the plunges. Jitters aside. It's all been very touching to read about and I wish them well.

Last edited by Rainey on Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Griffin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBC 7 has put the Radio Hour on, but I know Keillor from his books which I've always loved for their warmth and the understanding that both life and our own bodies conspire to remove our dignity in the most absurd ways possible.... er, or is that just me!! Rolling Eyes

For me there is no 'pc' except the one I'm using now to type this!! There is a basic consideration for others - for treating others as you would be treated with respect and dignity... shortly before life and your body conspire....!!! Oh good grief!
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, he is a treasure for his affection for human beings however flawed.

I wonder if anyone outside the US knows (Fred) Mr. Rogers, but GK has always struck me as a Mr. Rogers for adults by way of Mark Twain.

I also love him for the breadth of his musical tastes through which I discovered Bluegrass and for always featuring some lesser known artist in each city he visits.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey said
Quote:
But I'm losing my sense of humor and putting altogether too fine a point on this.
I like your "fine points"! Please don't stop making them.
As for losing your humor, did I read it was 109 degrees (that's about 43C) in your area yesterday? Ye gods...this is September!)

Griffin--if I read or see or hear something that makes me wince or flinch or raise an eyebrow or frown for a second--that's my pc test--I figure something is wrong if I've had a physical reaction, no matter how fleeting. Then I can re-read and analyze and begin to feel holier-than-thou..
Griffin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerpale,

I am much the same, tho' perhaps being of Indian parents in Britain, especially now, I am a little more sensitive to bigotry or plain stupidity as it's also known - when I come across it. I think context means a lot too tho'.

As Destry would have said...'Had a friend once, a preacher. They shot him up sumthin' awful. But at least it was the first time he was truly holier than anybody!' I love Destry Rides Again, one of my favourite movies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: