Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Specific recipe request-- Wolfert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: Specific recipe request-- Wolfert Reply with quote

Hello, does anyone happen to have Paula Wolfert's recipe for spareribs, Languedoc style?
georgia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it it, Gingerpale. It's verbatim from The Cooking of South-West France, by Paula Wolfert, The Dial Press, 1983. If you undertake this ambitious venture, let us know how it turns out!

BARBEQUED SPARERIBS, LANGUEDOC STYLE
Coustelou au Feu de Bois

Serves 3 or 4
Begin 1 to 2 days in advance

3 pounds pork loin rib ends for barbeque, or 2 sides of meaty country-style spareribs (about 4 pounds), divided into serving pieces (do not substitute ordinary spareribs)

Marinade
1-1/2 t. coarse (kosher) salt
1 t. fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 t. dried leaves, crumbled
1/2 t. fennel seed, lightly crushed
1/2 t. crushed rosemary
6 fresh mint leaves, slivered
1 sage leaf
4 cloves garlic, finely sliced
1 T. olive oil

Herb-Flavored Oil
3 sprigs thyme
1/2 bay leaf
1 t. fennel seed
2 sprigs fresh mint
2 sage leaves
1/2 cup olive oil

4-6 medium potatoes
Freshly ground pepper
Vegetable oil for grill
Chopped fresh herbs for garnish: thyme, mint, and parsley
2-3 T. fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup cubed ham fat (optional)

1. 1 to 2 DAYS IN ADVANCE, marinate pork ribs in marinade. Place in a noncorrodible container; cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate.

2. Make herb-flavored oil and set aside to mellow in flavor.

3. 2 HOURS BEFORE GRILLING, remove ribs from refrigerator; wipe off excess marinade.

4. Peel potatoes and cut into 1-inch-thick slices. Brush potatoes with a little of the herb-flavored oil.

5. If you are using a charcoal grill, the grill should be about 9 inches above the embers, which should be ash-white. Brush grill with plain vegetable oil, then arrange ribs flat on the grill. Every 10 minutes, turn and baste meat with herb-flavored oil. Add potatoes after the first 10 minutes. Baste potatoes as well. Meat should be cooked well done, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Serve hot with a sprinkling of pepper, herbs, and lemon juice. If you plan to flavor meat with rendered hot ham fat, simmer ham fat in 3 tablespoons water over very low heat 15 minutes. When all the moisture has evaporated and there are only cubes of fat and rendered fat in the pan, spread them on spareribs and potatoes the last 5 minutes of grilling. Ribs can also be roasted on a rack in a preheated 375 degree oven about 1 hour 15 minutes, turning them every 15 minutes and basting them frequently.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, georgia, for typing this all out for me--I didn't know the recipe was so complicated & long! I have heard this is wonderful, as is the book it is from. (Which I'll probably buy--would you recommend it in general?)

My SO Rich complains that he can't taste the meat if doused with BBQ sauce, so I was looking for a different way to do pork. Finding fresh mint and fennel and the right sort of ribs will delay things a bit, but I'll report here when the deed is done.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello--if anyone is still out there-- Confused
I made the Languedoc spareribs for our Christmas dinner. A lady on another food site wrote that this was one of her favorite recipes from Paula Wolfert, and went on to say it was one of her favorites of all time from any cookbook. Of course I was curious. Nothing tricky, 1-2 days in the marinade, I'd say it was delicious and satisfying but a notch below reeeal exciting. I did them in the oven rather than outside on the grill-- you know that made a difference! (Much snow all around outdoors.)
My usual pork spareribs are the sticky should-be-eaten-in-the-shower kind, so these were a change. (Rich agreed--quite good but not spectacular.)

Wine ha ha was a pitcher of bloody Marys and dessert was lovely dark from-scratch gingerbread and whipped cream.

We don't do much for Christmas (since Christmas has pretty much been put up against a wall and shot, IMO) but it is always fun to try a new recipe.

Meanwhile, Clotilde's post about the coconut macaroons (I won't be happy 'til I eat 80 of them) reminded me of a wonderful cookie. It also uses UNsweetened coconut (the coconut flavor is stronger). Add to that sesame seeds and almonds and butter, these are Out of the Ordinary. Like the starred pyramids, I dip one half in melted chocolate! I'll post the recipe in the Recipe Box, as "Sesame Coconut Cookies", this afternoon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: