Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

foodie books for kids!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lisa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: foodie books for kids! Reply with quote

I've so enjoyed our Foodie Books topic ... and I started thinking back over my favorite picture books as a child, and realized this food love must have started early! Many of them have great food scenes, drawings, poems ...

Here's a list of some of my favorites to get us started -- I'd love to hear what others loved, or ones your kids love, etc. I think we can share picture books and chapter books both, yes?

Panda Cake Rosalie Seidler
Oh, my brother and I loved this so much! Perhaps we were like the panda siblings in it. Great food drawings and a fun plot.

Strega Nona Tomie De Paola
Classic classic classic.

Oxcart Man by Donald Hall, ill. Barbara Cooney
Another classic. And a nice bit of Americana -- it's the story of a farming family in the 1800s -- simple, engaging text -- incredible drawings -- wonderful ideas about the turning of the seasons, cycles, a simple (but by no means easy!) life.

Where the Wild Things Are Maurice Sendak
Has a tiny but important food scene! It's tininess bookends the fantastical grandeur of the rest of the book. Such a treat.

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs Judi Barrett, ill. Ron Barrett
Who among us wouldn't want to live in the town of Chewandswallow, with a boat made of bread or a jello sunset or mashed potato snow?

the Amelia Bedelia books, Peggy Parish
There are loads of these, and they've been illustrated by various folks. I think the one I remember best is Amelia Bedelia Helps Out -- I particularly remember a scene where she makes a tea cake out of tea! She's a wonderful character whose literal take on everything creates some hilarious situations -- but she does make perfect cream puffs and lemon meringue pie!

Chicken Soup With Rice: a Book of Months Maurice Sendak
Excellent any time of year Smile "In January it's so nice while slipping on the sliding ice to sip hot chicken soup with rice. Chicken once, chicken twice, sipping chicekn soup with rice."
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa- You have already named some favorites. My girls & I still sing the music from Really Rosie including Chicken Soup with Rice and they are now 28 & 24. Very Happy They also still remember Strega Nona. We had several Strega Nona books and my husband had the great luck to have a chance meeting with Tomie dePaola. I was so jealous. I loved his illustrations!

The other stories I think of at this moment are Stone Soup which I have "cooked" with toddlers many times and The Gingerbread Man. Do you know The Wedding Procession of the Rag Doll and the Broom Handle and Who Was in It? It's an excerpt from Carl Sandburg (Rootabaga Stories?) and has lovely lyrical language. Part of the procession included the Spoon Lickers and the Dirty Bibs (who had entirely too much fun eating chocolate pudding) and when the bride's black button eyes turned up missing someone had to sew on some prunes in their place.

I'll think on this and see what my rusty brain cranks out. But thanks for bringing back sweet memories. Wink
David

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as a porridge lover--Goldilocks and the Three Bears immediately sprang to mind Very Happy
David

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Wind in the Willows is loaded with food scenes as is Alice in Wonderland!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: