Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Getting a good cup of hot chocolate
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mister Choc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Getting a good cup of hot chocolate Reply with quote

I've not had a good cup of hot chocolate in the UK. The best I've had have been in Italy and in Cafe Slavia in Prague. They are proper, dark, thick and rich with or without cream.
I now look for those chocolate churning machines on the back counter. I saw one at Carluccio's and was so happy till I got the drink. It just wasn't right. I went a couple of times to give them a chance but it got worse. It was too milky.
I tried one at Cafe Nova and it was pretty good but not rich enough.
The chocolate from Prague was from one of those churny things while the ones in Italy seemed to be the steam blasted ones from the espresso/capuccino machine.
I bought a tub of Carluccio's hot chocolate to make at home. Not good.
Mister Choc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mall where Carluccio's and Cafe Nova are also has a lot of other such places. I might trawl through them to compare chocolate. There's a little French place, possibly Albert Roux or something, which I might try next.

The chocolate I'm thinking of is called sipping chocolate or continental chocolate.
Griffin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Choc,

Have you tried Green & Black's Drinking chocolate? Or some of the others like Hotel Chocolat or the posh one who's name is eluding me at the moment and isn't Whittard's?!

Otherwise, it's cocoa and sugar/honey and a teensy bit of milk/cream. Of course you then have to work out which cocoa to get!!

Welcome to C&Z by the way.
Mister Choc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to be here.

I have tried G and B. It was okay. I used to be really into Charbonnel et Walker, then I went off it. C & B is just grated chocolate.
I've currently got Carluccio's chocolate . The first time I made it it wasn't great. The second time was better.I'll get it right eventually.This one is cocoa powder.
I've seen in the shop Spanish Drinking Chocolate which I may get next.

All these thick continental drinks have cornflour in as a thickener.
You can make your own drink with cocoa powder, sugar and a bit of cornstarch.
Griffin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charbonnel et Walker was the one I was thinking of! Pure cocoa with sugar and cream would probably do just as well too.
Mister Choc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Cafe Nero. They had the chocolate that gets steamed.It was nice but the whipped cream diluted the flavour and cooled down the drink. It was called Milano chocolate

I went to a bar which did food and they had continental chocolate. So maybe it's spreading and I've not noticed.
jenyfari

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best hot chocolate I have had was actually an Atkins recipe. Can't remember exactly but I think it was called Mexican Hot Chocolate and had almond extract in it (amongst other things) which just gave it a wonderful flavor.
Lilia Dignan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best chocolate I've had is a cup of "Chocolat Africain" (chocolat noir) at Angelina's on rue di Rivoli in Paris. The next best thing there is the packet of chocolate mix that you take home for those cold, rainy evenings. It is so thick and rich!
-Lilia
Mister Choc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to a small cafe in my town, Stockport, and had a chocolate. It was just Cadburys from a catering sized tub. It was actually alright. It had some foam on top.
Tomorrow I'm making some Charbonnel et Walker made with a bit of double cream. I have one of those electric frothers which might really make it thicken up. I might end up falling asleep after.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh Mister Choc chocolate-coated thanks for the chocolate post..and anything that brings King Chocolate Griffin on board is always a treat!!!

I add my welcome..

agree about the Italian hot chocolate...that wondrous stuff so thick it's almost like mud...

Vita Sackville-West used a brown ink ...someone said her writing was like a chocolate scrawl...am tempted to begin handwriting letters again..the idea of chocolate letters..ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

a dear friend of mine is coming to the end of a rather difficult time...soon a party of celebration...I said I'd make the dessert/cake...and the must-have ingredient I asked her...chocolate! well, indeed..

chocolate-coated hugs this day
msue

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a place in my town called Chocolate Secrets. It is the kind of place where your knees almost buckle when you walk in the front door. I almost crashed my car across four lanes of traffic the first time I saw their sign.

Cases holding neat rows of chocolates meet you as you enter. The locally produced chocolates are fat and sprawling, full of various additions like nuts, coconut, and pieces of fruit. But the front and center chocolates are smaller, more elegant, and, most exotically, are French. Even the employees speak mostly French, and have a quizzical look if you should speak in a drawl (not that that ever happens)! At least one night a week, a perfectly dressed woman floats through the store, offering to teach French lessons to customers.

They also make a hot chocolate, or maybe they call it a drinking chocolate. I'm waiting to try it until we have a cold day here - hopefully in a few months.

Oh, now I have it on my mind...maybe a trip over there today might not be such a bad idea.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msue...oh how I long to visit there!...anywhere in Texas perhaps?
msue

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely in Texas! I pass by there on the way to and from work, and I have to wrestle with the steering wheel not to automatically pull into a parking place. I've learned to practice restraint, tenuous at best.

They offer a wine and chocolate pairing - for only $25 you are able to indulge in multiple ways.

mustnotthinkaboutit, mustnotdrool, mustnotthinkaboutit, etc.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame--lol--when I read about the "floating" woman I immediately thought of you-- (the image just fit !)

msue--could this have been a dream? If not, do they sell online?
msue

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreamy, but not a dream. It doesn't seem like the sort of place that sells online, but I'm not sure.

Their link: http://www.chocolatesecrets.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: