Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Olive Oil Pie Crust

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Olive Oil Pie Crust Reply with quote

Got a sense of adventure? Here comes a brand new kind of pie crust just in time for apple season.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daffodillanepresses/353251559/
Donna

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar recipe for olive oil pie crust. it is imperative, after you put it in the pan, to let it rest in the fridge for an hour or more (overnight works too). When I didn't do that, it just became an amoeba looking thing. No actual pie crust presence.

I used it for an onion tart and all were pleased!
Nicki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my goodness! For an apple pie you say? I would be deeply suspicious, especially as its extra virgin, that it would taste...you know, like its been made with olive oil! It makes me less worried about the outcome of using olive margarine.

I wonder if this is really healthier?
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicki- I haven't tried it yet but 1) I trust Donna's palate implicitly and 2) I made olive oil ice cream last year because it sounded so odd I had to try it for myself. It had a flavor that was not what you'd expect and interestingly fruity as you'd hope for a dessert. So, I'm inclined to feel confident enough about it.

But trying it first in a savory application sounds like a smart thing to do. Wink
paperbackwriter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Ooh, ooh, ooh. Thanks for the recipe. I'm inclined to use it for something savory first too but I love the idea of it. Yum.

Must try to make the ice cream too. Since I've had an ice cream maker I have made stuff I would never buy, just out of curiousity.

Thanks Rainey!
gingerpale

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna your Amoeba 'n Onion tart sounds stupendous! (Surely purely a Northern California specialty?) Very Happy

Patricia Wells has a "Winemaker's Grape Cake" made with olive oil--I thought it was especially nice, taste and texture. Recipe is in this thread:

http://chocolateandzucchini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=406&highlight=choosing+olive
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, comes today's mail with a review copy of Olive Oil Baking by Lisa A. Sheldon. Subtitle is "heart-healthy recipes that increas good cholesterol and reduce saturated fats."

Imagine. A whole book of recipes in which olive oil subs for butter and other saturated fats.

Obviously, I haven't had a chance to make any of them yet. But the chapter headings are, to say the least, intriguing:

Cakes & Dessets; Pancakes & Waffles; Quick Breads; Brownies & Bars; Cookies & Biscotti; Muffins; Coffeecakes; Savory Breads; and Other Tasty Treats.

If anyone is interested, the publisher is Cumberland House, and the book should just about be out. Check with Amazon.
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made a polenta cake with olive oil and limoncello and olive oil ice cream. They were both terrific. The olive oil savory cookies I made sounded great but are best forgotten.

I made them out of pure curiosity but it turns out olive oil works for more than savory foods.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: