Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Right brain vs. left brain
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Right brain vs. left brain Reply with quote

Maxence sent me this, and I thought you might enjoy it:
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22535838-5012895,00.html

So: left brain or right?

Me, she keeps switching directions -- perhaps I should see a neurologist? Smile
simona

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very funny!! of course she switches direction, just have enough patience to wait.

No more war, let's switch to peace ( I'm more of a left sider , but not too far left Wink)
Alisa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only see her going clockwise. Tried my hardest to see the other... didn't happen. Smile
David

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched for about 2 minutes as she rotated in an anti-clockwise direction (left brain) then looked away for a second and when I looked bach she was going clockwise!
Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was fun! More please....

I do love the Daily Tele for this kind of thing. Did any of you click on teh topic to the right hand side about the man saved by doctors using vodka?? It is amazing.

Oh, yes, I saw both ways which was a bit disconcerting for someone who gets travel sick and seasick... Shocked had to stop playing and go back to reading the paper... Laughing
gingerpale

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie, in honor of your 666th post, here's some more--can you find the man in the coffee beans? (scroll down past the dancer)

http://www.theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php?p=27

As for me, I'm sure the dancer is changing her direction on the screen, not in my head.
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what's fascinating about this is watching an idea (if it's fair to call this an idea) travel. I first saw it on Andrew Sullivan (based on the East Coast) several days ago. Then on my book sharing site a few days after that (people all over the country). And then here (originating from Paris and spreading from Europe to the South Seas). Amazing how global the world we're now living in is!

Meanwhile, it's an amazing image. At first I saw it as clearly and consistently going clockwise. First I wondered how anyone could see it differently, then I wondered if I could reverse it (it was very hard at first), now it switches easily and seemingly randomly back and forth.

On the book site, about half of the viewers agreed with what it indicated about their creativity (who doesn't want to think they're creative?!) and about half disagreed. Interestingly, I didn't hear anyone say that they didn't think they could be logical but a lot of people discounted their creativity.

Finally, I wish it had come with some information about the research that suggests this is a valid measure.

Edited to say that I guess all the foregoing puts me pretty soundly in the "logical" category. @@

Last edited by Rainey on Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerpale- Ask and you shall receive! That text wasn't with the dancing girls I had previously seen.

I didn't find the man within 3 seconds.

Have to go back and read the text.

Back again. Oh man! That one with the white basketball players is entirely tooooo much!

I need to spend the rest of the day cogitating on what I see and what the nature of reality is!

BTW, gingerpale, I hope you will disclose one day how you know what you know and how you conduct a search. I'm really quite impressed!
gingerpale

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh? If I said something worthy recently it went right over my head!
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You posted that link that had a ton of information including other interesting visual conundrums at the same time I was asking what the basis of the determination was.

Yours popped up first so it doesn't look like the answer to my question which appears later but, since I had the question before I posted it, it came as an answer to me.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clotilde what fun!

Initially she was dancing clockwise...how to make her dance in another direction?..oh golly let's give it a go I thought...much concentration...and then..yep...anti-clockwise...then a bit one way...then a bit the other way...her leg seemed to be swinging...odd! and fun!

I've had another go and there she is...clockwise...now will see if I can reverse...yes..both directions..I find if I can make her stop for a fraction of a nanosecond I can then almost choose which direction she'll go...it's as though in that oh so brief time I can decide...rather a strange feeling really...
gingerpale

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this one, with the basketball players, if you haven't yet:

http://viscog.beckman.uiuc.edu/grafs/demos/15.html

Try to count the # of times the ball passed is passed from a white shirted player to another white shirted player.

AFTER you have done that (don't cheat), watch it again-- don't count anything, just watch.
Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is fun!!!!

Found the man in the coffee beans instantly. It just jumped out at me.

Now to try the basketball player...
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man in coffee beans?...maybe late at night after dinner with gal pals...our Friday night gig...bubbles...Sieg has driven the gals home...man in coffee beans? Debbie darlin' ...ya gotta be joking...maybe I'll give it a go in the morn!

(by the way..Aileen (she of the candle for Debbie) brought along gorgeous little cup cakes with meringue topping...we talked and talked and laughed...is there anything quite like friendship!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a big and scrumptious hug to all chocolate and zucchiniers....and more...let us fill our glasses with liquids of choice and drink to friendships of the moment and those cosmos friendships... Wink ...
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband showed me this pic from one of the science-type blogs he frequents (serious left-right dichotomy between the two of us), and I've been staring at it ever since, unable to see it going anyway but clockwise.

There's a great answer on Google http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=436521 about left/right brain dominance that quotes Fergus Reilly...
Quote:
"Should you ever have the desire, right/left preferences can be reversed by conscious effort. "Brain dominance is a flexible and changeable asset," he writes. "Although the predominant hemisphere preference changes slowly, taking roughly 9 months to complete a switch from one side to the other, you are [then] able to switch sides with ease in a fraction of a second."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: