Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

finger food and appetizers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simona

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: finger food and appetizers Reply with quote

i love parties where all the food is "finger food", a wide choice of various small bites, savoury and spicy , a feast of imagination and tastes.
Easy to eat, infinite variety. lots of fun to prepare.
David

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And lots of dip dishes, I love a party with dips and fingerfoods too!
portdevoix

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love doing finger-food parties: deviled eggs, meatballs, stuffed mushrooms, celery with flavored cream cheese, pita with homemade hummus, vegetables and assorted dips, chocolate covered strawberries...

:swoon:

"La cuisine au beurre est toujours meilleure."
- Julia Child, 1912-2004
simona

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: finger food and appetizers Reply with quote

So nice to hear from other finger food afficionados. I will be very grateful of any original, new or grandma recipe, to add to my repertoire. I'll be also happy to share mine
Does anybody know about "the" ultimate cook book of appetizers and finger food? Thanks

Chocolate as a religion , I buy that, "no more war, more chocolate". (personally I prefer a good herring and vodka, but chocolate is ok too)
Debbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning!

Dinatoir! My favourite!! I love all the little morsels of flavour and being able to taste everything. Every now and then my husband and I do this for a casual dinner instead of cooking a main meal.

Last thursday we had blinis with creme fraiche and salmon roe, blinis with homemade guacamole and tomato slices sprinkled with cracked pepper and sharp cheese, crusty fresh baguette with foi gras, cashews, macadamias, hazelnuts and pecans with brie, conte and another cheese which I can't remember the name of. All of this washed down with a bordeaux speciale.

I have quail eggs for this week and will also do some tiny new potatoes and fill with creme fraiche, finely diced proscutto and herbs. Might do some lovely fresh asparagus spears as they look so fabulous at present. Smoked salmon is also calling my tastebuds, so might have to bring out some lemon and capers to go with it. Oh my mouth is watering. This may have to be the public holiday feast instead of midweek pick me up.
simona

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: fingerfood etc Reply with quote

I was sure the topic was dead, and therefore i'm so happy that you, debbie, brought it back to life.
I'm compiling recipes for a book of fingerfood and appetizers, hoping to get a food editor I happen to know interested in it ( dreams are allowed, in between a blini and a glass of Bordeaux!!).
I will be so grateful for any ideas, recipes, from all the corner of the world. Your blinis with guacamole and sharp cheese are already noted, Debbie. Thanks. Sometimes, instead ob blinis, I serve the salmon caviar on little potato and sweet potatoes "latkes" which are small fried "cakes", They can be eaten solo, or with creme fraiche , or with apple
puree and a sprinkle of sharp cheese.

no more war, more blinis and caviar!!
Debbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

De rien.

Potato, yum! I should have been of Irish descent I think. I could eat potato at every meal.

Those little potato cakes are nice with a pinch of fresh grated nutmeg added to them and then topped wth creme fraische and spring onion and sashimi salmon.

I actually made some potato cakes for a dinner party that I had a few weeks ago. Instead of small and for nibbles I made them larger and served them as a side dish to the chicken meal. In the mix I put fresh rosemary (chopped very fine so it doesn't peirce your mouth) and some really sharp cheese with a few pinches of dorrigo pepper (an Australian native bush spice).

The French guests raved about it and I had put the same pepper on the chicken breasts with a few other Australian spices and herbs and cooked them with a smear of olive oil in a frypan. As always I had cooked way too much for the number of guests, and thought we would be eating leftovers the next day (which is sometimes the best part of the meal, after the flavours have developed overnight). The husband asked if there was seconds and everyone proceeded to eat every bit of what I had cooked! Pretty good considering that I had served up huge oprtions the first time around. I felt appreciated that night!

The chicken can be cut into small peices and cooked the same way, then skewered onto toothpicks or a few peices on a long skewer and served as nibbles.

Pork loin wrapped in proscuttio and baked with apples on skewers is also really tasty as nibbles. Can also be cooked whole, carved and served with veges for a main meal.

My mouth is watering again and it is nearly midnight.... Any more recipes or ideas just email away to me.

Let me know how you go with the book. I expect to be able to buy a signed copy when it is published.
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good finger foods already suggested. I especially like tiny turnovers, or any type of pastry enclosing a filling. Phyllo, shortcrust, American biscuit-type dough or yeast dough. Any filling. 1-2 bites. With sauce of some kind for dipping. Oh, and the little Asian rolls like Clotilde made with rice-paper wrappers & spicy peanut sauce is yummy! Another type I like are little kebabs, either meat, veggie, or a combination.

Good luck with your book idea, Simona!
simona

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: finger food Reply with quote

thanks for the encouragement, I write down every bit of information.
Debbie, If and when this book will be printed, I promise you a signed copy, but, my signature will unfortunately the only thing you may be able to read. The book will be in ...Hebrew.

No more war, more finger food!
Shellie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: finger food Reply with quote

Finger food .... yummy. A nice one is mini Yorkshire puddings (I am English originally so grew up with Yorkshire pudding!) topped with a thin slice of rare roast beef and then with some horseradish cream. Delish, and very English!!

Mmmmm ...
Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simona, I firmly believe that food is an international language! I have cook books that I cannot read the "method" for making the dish, but can read the ingredients and devour the pictures.

I sincerely hope that you find a great publisher and your book is a huge success. Don't forget to tell us all when it is happening. What an exciting time in your life!
JustMe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too often people serve appetizers and then you don't have room for dinner. In the summer we often have "pot luck" parties where I just ask everyone to bring an appetizer; we always end up with more than enough food.

My latest favourite are Thai spring rolls with peanut sauce (someone else mentioned those) and also shrimp chips with peanut sauce. I buy the shrimp (or prawn) chips at an oriental supermarket & fry them up myself. A co-worker recently gave me homemade shrimp chips but I haven't had time to gry them up yet. I took a Thai cooking class & got the recipe for the peanut sauce. I will have to look through the archives and get Clotilde's recipe.
JustMe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...my friend did this recipe for stuffed mushrooms a few weeks ago, but instead of using chevre with herbes she used a goat cheese with cranberries & cinnamon!!! Now I never would have thought of that flavour combination but they were to die for!

http://lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/RecipeController?action=recipe&language=1&recipeID=14&recipeType=1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: