Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Too many capers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject: Too many capers? Reply with quote

I received a 12th Night/Epiphany gift of a liter jar of imported capers. I love the flavor of capers, but a little goes a long way & a small jar usually lasts quite awhile. Do any of you have recipes for using an abundance of these little buds? Can you freeze them successfully?

Charlotte, if you save me some of that chicken, I'll bring caper & parsley sauce for it! (that's about the extent of my experience cooking with them, other than as a salad garnish.)
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite way to enjoy capers is with lox and cream cheese on dark rye.

"It's hot ham water."
melinda

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use capers fairly regularly....in butter sauces for fish or chopped up in cold tarter-like sauces (mayo, a bit of catsup, some pickle or cornichons)..they lend an element of "secret ingredient"
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try one of my favorite ways to have a burger. After you quickly pan sear both sides, you add a tiiny bit of liquid like water or broth and braise it under a lid for a few minutes to a finish. Next you remove the burger to a warmed plate and put the pan over high heat to deglaze with a splash of vermouth and balsamic, a dab of dijon and a spoonful of capers. When it's a thick, caramely syrup, spoon it over the burger.

I think I got this from a demonstration of Steak Diane some years ago but I've never had Steak Diane and don't know how accurately I remember what I saw back then. However authentic (or not), I really like this and lived off it when I was on the Atkins diet. It's good with a few chopped up sundried tomatoes tossed in in the last minute too.
Kate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my husband makes a nice pasta with a simple cream sauce, prosciutto, sundried tomatoes and capers. it's very easy and always tasty.
Charlotte

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Too many capers? Reply with quote

brighidsdaughter wrote:
I received a 12th Night/Epiphany gift of a liter jar of imported capers. I love the flavor of capers, but a little goes a long way & a small jar usually lasts quite awhile. Do any of you have recipes for using an abundance of these little buds? Can you freeze them successfully?

Charlotte, if you save me some of that chicken, I'll bring caper & parsley sauce for it! (that's about the extent of my experience cooking with them, other than as a salad garnish.)

Come on by! I love capers and I have a lemon tree, too!

I buy in large jars, but it takes me a while to go through it. I eat more in summer with tomato-type salads - salade nicoise, panzanella (see my food blog for my recipe), and Greek salad. It keeps forever in the fridge in the brine, though.

In the winter I like fish baked with lemon and some capers to finish off ... piccata style. Hadn't thought of it with the chicken, thank you for the idea. Pam Anderson has a lemon-caper pan sauce for seared chicken or fish in "How to Cook without a Book" that I liked, but I haven't seared fish in a while.

I also put a big spoonful in my tapenade ... you can do that without waiting for real tomatoes.
jrichards

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to add capers to my tuna fish. Yum.

I've also recently made a really good flank steak dish (from South Beach Diet) that uses a marinade which includes capers and onions. You reserve some of the marinade to put on the finished dish.

I always enjoy it with fish.

Jennifer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: