Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Right brain vs. left brain
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the man in the coffee beans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wink

this morning I thought..ok..change the tack...think differently...yesterday I was looking for a whole body of a man in the beans...this morning ..AH! THERE you are...change of thinking...

what fun. now if only I can get him to look in another direction Smile
gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame you must do the basketball one!!

It isn't really a man in the coffee beans-- it is a bean-shaped man, or man-shaped bean, or is it a man? No, don't give it away.

sweetbabyjames--how do you know which side of the brain you are are using?? I can't tell!
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GP, this thing led me to check out the book Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. The introduction suggests a shift in the mode of perceiving visual information, which can be honed and then re-applied in other problem-solving ways, even those not necessarily visual in nature.

We have an ongoing joke in our house about whether our daughter will follow me into the arts or pursue something more left-brained like her father. I tease and assure her I'll accept her even if she becomes a scientist, and there's no shame in it as long as it makes you happy, etc... But it seems to me that creative thinking is important anyway.
Griffin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused... I see the dancer turning clockwise - but I don't see how she could possibly be seen going anti-clockwise at all!!!!

And I didn't find the man in the coffee beans... I just wanted a cup of coffee!!! ... but then I am easily confused.
msue

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even find the coffee beans.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is worth its weight in gold!...Griffin, get yourself on a plane..pronto...to Oz...a tutorial (avec vin) on how to make the dancer stop for a nanosecond...and then with a bit of headeffort you'll be able to make her turn the other way...my husband and daughter think it so funny the way I move my head a)towards the screen and b)turn my head anti-clockwise...it helps!

ain't the brain marvellous...
Ramon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this before, never knew if it was rigged or not. Although, such an experiment can be conducted much easier. Cover one eye with your hand and focus on an object, then repeat it with the other eye. Whichever one doesn't move and stays focused, that is what side of the brain you use.
GiveMeSweets

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: That was fun! Reply with quote

Ha..I think she doesn't switch directions. Trickery I tell you...but fun. I forwarded the link to friends...see what they say! Thanks!
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another amazing piece of visual processing: http://psy.ucsd.edu/~sanstis/SABloob.html

IF in fact, it's true. I assume it is but it's devilish to accept!
Barbara

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure this is rigged. I think it is random and goes clockwise and anti clockwise. It also pauses briefly sometimes before reversing, but not always.
Griffin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've seen this before, never knew if it was rigged or not. Although, such an experiment can be conducted much easier. Cover one eye with your hand and focus on an object, then repeat it with the other eye. Whichever one doesn't move and stays focused, that is what side of the brain you use.

Ah, now I sat through a lecture on Vision yesterday and the lecturer did this one. This isn't to do with what side of the brain you use tho'. It's to do with the eye not knowing where to look so moving inwards where it feels most comfortable, which is called Esophoria. See, I even pay attention in these classes, I don't just take the notes!!

Another fascinating thing I didn't know - the bit of the brain that moves the eye is different from the bit that gives us vision. So if you're in an accident and go blind, the eye can still move as usual even if you can't see anything!
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had her doing flip flops in the beginning, but after reading each description, she turned in that direction by the time I had finished. TOTALLY COOL!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: