Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

The Miracle on 34th Street - Judy, Swan & David in NY
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: The Miracle on 34th Street - Judy, Swan & David in NY Reply with quote

If you cast your minds back to early September, some of you may recall that Erin, Swan, David and I made plans to meet up in New York. Unfortunately Erin couldn't make it, but the 3 of us and Greg all spent a few very happy hours together.

Greg and I had had a very rough night as we lost our hotel room due to a late plane, and ended up in an all-night diner, then we stashed our luggage at the Amtrak station and grabbed a couple of hours sleep in Central Park. So many people have commented that our story sounds just like The Out of Towners that we watched it during the week. Fortunately we didn't lose our luggage and we weren't mugged, but there were quite a few similarities. Unfortunately we weren't staying at The Waldorf, just a cheap hotel on 83rd St West.

Anyway, we were definitely feeling less than fabulous when we met Swan and David, but that didn't matter, we really enjoyed the time we all spent together. We had to reluctantly leave Les Halles as we were meeting another friend who was taking us to Cape Cod for the weekend. Which was also fantastic.

So, anyway, here's a photo of me, David and Greg (in blue t-shirt) at Les Halles

And there are more on Photobucket

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
swan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very weird to find your own holiday-pics on the internet Smile, but it looks like I had a good time!! Very Happy

happily recalling our day together, and wishing we can repeat it some day, some place. Big hugs to new friends.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

! 3 world class booksellers at one table, Meal of the Mega-Merchants !

Judy, I've missed you, thank you for posting these--you all look happy and rested regardless..

Before I even looked at the faces I said to myself "Ooh, white tablecloths!" Does that tell you how often I get out?? Rolling Eyes

Yep, no doubt about it, Australians and Canadians improve my mood. Very Happy Swan must have been taking the pictures!
Griffin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh thanks Judy, now I have proof of what a tall slinky brother I have in David! And he must be my brother, because we both wear glasses!!

Good to see you in er, the pink too! And come to think of it, Greg must be a brother too, because he has dark hair and glasses too!
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a wonderful thing to wake up and see! It's great to have faces for all of you but I'm missing swan. And I love the interesting pic of Manhattan through the bridge cables. ...don't think I've ever been over the Brooklyn bridge.

You all look so comfortable and natural together, not to mention glowingly happy. How do you accomplish that after the previous night you had?! You're a resilient woman, Judy, and seeing David is surely something to smile about but you still recover faster than I would!
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one of our beautiful Swan - I had forgotten she took all those photos. We have some more that Greg took .... somewhere. I'll go hunting for them.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! Perfect! (wish I could write that in Deutch...)

I saw it on your photo page but the names didn't line up. Wink

swan - If you're out there, lovely to "meet" you after all this time! Wink
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy...those photos are scrumptious....and so of of of the moment! they make me joyously greedy to meet more of the folk out there...

ummmmmmm I wonder who will be next!!!

I shall dream of such things tonight..
swan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always look my best with the winds coming from behind messing up my hair!!!
All those pics are mine - I shared them with my newly found friends - sharing NY experiences. Walking that Brooklyn Bridge (on a very hot day) was really nice. The icecream from Chinatown Icecream Factory was WONDERFUL - especially as I walked two blocks down and sat in a small neigbourhood park on a bench with it - nestled cosily between an elderly chinese lady and a gentleman - happily tasting my black sesame, lychee and pandan icecream, taking pictures of the other elderly chinese people who were all having a good time at the park. Other pics are from Danny's Shake Shack (one evening when the US open was shown on a large screen in madison Sq. Park - a great experience to be there on a warm night, outside - so...friendly , so..not so big city.)

Anyone recognizing their 'to do tips' yet!?!?

PS. yeah, my real name is Mickey. Swan is a nickname I get because of my job - KLM has used the swan a lot in branding and commercials - so some friends call me 'zwaantje'(little swan) in duch!
David

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLINKY???>!!!! Very Happy oh my Griffin, slinky?? Love it. "twas a delightful time we all had! The high point of my NYC mini-adventure. Will definitely make it back but only if ERIN can make it this time (then again I've a burning desire to go to Boston and Provincetown mid-winter and curl up with some books for a bit--and I seem to recall Erin saying how much she likes Boston.....) Can't believe how much I look like my Dad!!
Rachel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll echo Rainey - it's so nice to have faces to put to names! Judy, if it weren't for your story I would never have guessed that you and Greg had had such a harrowing night... you look a hundred times fresher and more relaxed than I did when I got caught in a similar situation (which was sleeping in a couchette in a train parked in the Gare d'Austerlitz, long story...)

Swan - so glad you liked the Chinatown Ice Cream Company. Now you've made me feel nostalgic for it all over again!

So... when are y'all (or some of you) coming to London?? Wink
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh Rachel!...the breeze knows I'd be there in a nanosecond...at table with you...and a gang....V&A...Sissinghurst..

perhaps the breeze is a trying... Wink

hugs to London
Griffin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes David, slinky and now... I have the pix to prove it!! Aha! Smile

Swan/Mickey, You look lovely, what a gorgeous smile!

Judy... I always did like booksellers! Yes, you and Greg do look amazingly awake all things considered. Clearly 'adventure' agrees with you both!!

Madame, both Rachel and I await you... and possibly a few others. It would be lovely to meet up in London. And the V&A would be good, then Rachel wouldn't have far to go! Tho' if it's a weekend, she possibly won't want to be back at work!!
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin...too much distraction..I'm busy talking with the breeze!
swan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE LONDON!!!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: