Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Truffles - Fungi That Is

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: Truffles - Fungi That Is Reply with quote

Anyone know how long or the best way to keep truffles? I went the first 57 years of my life without ever having any so I'm completely truffle-ignorant.

I got some truffle butter at Trader Joe's at Christmas and it's been wonderful to put in mashed potatoes and on veggies but now it's gone and they won't have it again until next Christmas. So, in desperation, I went to Whole Foods to get a truffle to make my own truffle butter.

Sounds good, huh? Well, they only have a jar of 4 of them for almost $30! It would take me from now until Christmas 2012 to use that much truffle and, at $30, I could neither toss them nor use them with abandon.

So, again, how long could I keep them and what's the best way to store them?
portdevoix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey,

Whenever I have any doubts about preserving anything, I vacuum seal it, and either store in a dark, cool cupboard, or in the freezer. If they are dry and to be stored at room temperature, then just vacuum seal them and store them in the cupboard. If they are in a liquid like water or oil, first you need to freeze them, and then vacuum seal them before storing them in the freezer. Label clearly and make sure the freezer doesn't swallow the truffles in its deep recesses.

"La cuisine au beurre est toujours meilleure."
- Julia Child, 1912-2004
wasabi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Truffles - Fungi That Is Reply with quote

Hi Rainey,
a dilemma with truffles? lucky you Wink

one trick i learned in Italy was to combine sea salt and truffles (i do this in a mini food processor) to make "truffle salt" -- in the vein of vanilla sugar, lavender salt, etc. the salt preserves the truffle pieces and sprinkled over eggs, chicken, or a firm fleshed fish, wow. potatoes with it are good too!

you can make batches of the truffle butter shaped into logs and freeze them--one christmas i was able to take home a surplus of truffle butter (the buyer over estimated demand and sent us all home with us to enjoy as opposed to it just spoiling) and freeze it and i still use some to this day.

i've heard of preseving/jarring truffles in some sort of strong liquor, but even in store bought "preserved" ones, i don't enjoy the liquor's presence...i want the truffle damn it!

enjoy those gems, Rainey!
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I haven't bought them because for 4 truffles I'd have to do 20 pounds of truffle butter and then I'd probably still have some bits left over for salt and to steep in oil. I've either got to have some surefire way to keep them OR a source for a single truffle before I spend money on somthing so expensive. Know what I mean?

It took me years to grasp the concept that "expensive" didn't mean I couldn't have saffron -- just that I had to use it judiciously. But saffron is easy to keep and can be bought in small amounts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: