Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Sarkozy and Lesley Stahl

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KathyD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Sarkozy and Lesley Stahl Reply with quote

What do you think of Sarkozy walking out on the "60 Minutes" interview with Lesley Stahl?
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any opinion at all.

I'm not interested in anyone's sex or family life but my husband's and I don't watch American network TV to get information or opinions. It's far too overbearing and, frankly, biased and superficial.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo to anyone who won't put up with stupid questions, bad form, catering to the media, and just plain voyeurism!

Are you listening, American presidential candidates?
Donna

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leslie Stahl should know better!

As my late grandmother would say "I'm sure her mother didn't raise her to behave like that!"
georgia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How American of her. In this case, not a good thing.
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It says more about us than about her. And I mean "us" in the broader sense, not the people who post on C&Z. One of my good friends is editor of the Chicago Tribune web page, and learned to her horror, that by far the most hits are on stories that describe traffic deaths and maimings. So, I don't blame people like Leslie who try to dig up what she knows we want. Love those traffic maimings!
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha Chicago Bear don't let Chicago Oprah influence you! I do blame Stahl--can you imagine Bill Moyers or Fareed Zakaria or Lehrer asking the *head of a country* about his marital problems? Non! (Unless of course there was a grisly car accident involved.)
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gingerpale, you are right. There are respectable journalists in this world who have standards, and who would never stoop to the kind of gutter news that Leslie Stahl has made a career of mining. They might be in a small minority, but they are there and thank you for reminding me. Which brings up another question. Which country has the WORST journalistic standards: US, UK, Italy....others?
Nicki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My god, how rude on her part! Is she always like that? And also, looking so confused that there is a man sitting in front of her talking in a language she doesn't seem to recognise!

Certainly there is an argument that part of being a celebrity is having your life documented for public consumption for publicity purposes - but its weak. And thats not exactly what a head of state signs up for

"Mr Bush, please tell the world...how often you and your wife intimate?"
Hardly approporiate!

Does no one care about the French economy, or unemployment, or protectionism...?!
David

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tsk--how disappointing! i saw the subject matter for this particular thread and thought---hmmm---hasn't he jumped into the dating pool too quickly?? Very Happy
KathyD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Yes !! Reply with quote

I totally agree with everyone who replied. It's about time someone stood up to this sort of behavior on the part of some "journalists". The sad thing is...if you read reaction from their own (e.g. Maureen Dowd)...they still don't get it !! They say that Sarkozy "stormed" out....but not that Lesley Stahl was at all out of line. I think they should start paying attention to what real people think.
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I woke up this morning with this question still on my mind.

What we haven't heard is what conversations took place afterward. I bet that's what would have been interesting. I'd love to hear her groveling and assuring him that it's not her, you understand, who wants to pry but those unwashed minions out here (us) who demand such superfluous, private details to the exclusion of real information and made her do it.... Rolling Eyes

Do you in France know that there are probably only a handful of American who ever even knew that Chirac wrote an open letter to the American people outlining France's experiences in North Africa and explaining how, knowing full well it was folly, France couldn't encourage Bush's adventuring in the Middle East when the pre-war posturing was going on. Instructive as that experience was and helpful as it may have been to Americans who knew little of the Middle East's tumultous history, our media never saw fit to publish or even acknowledge its existence! That's the state of propaganda we've descended to. Shocked

I was, simply by chance, waiting for my husband near a newsstand that carried international papers and read the headline in le Figaro else I'd be as ignorant and as vulnerable to be manipulated into anti-Franco hysteria as many were in the "Freedom Fries" years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: