Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

let's go to the movies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Griffin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am unsure of 'The Golden Compass'... I loved the books and will re-read them but having been somewhat disappointed by the film-of-the-book before I don't know... I jest don' know... I may go and see it anyway of course just to see a 'version' of it, but either way I am definitely re-reading the books again. Such a fascinating and well-told tale. The BBC are doing Pullman's Ruby in The Smoke too so I have that to look forward to as well.

I still haven't seen Ratatouille, which I do want to see. So many movies, so little cash/time/energy!!
swan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys, I just saw the movie ´the Waitress´ in the plane, what a cute movie, a little ´nothing´, al little romance, but OH, the pies she is baking!!!!! Liked it a lot, just what you want to see on a 14 hour flight...! And did you guys see ´no reservations´yet? I enjoyed that a lot as well...

best from Santiago - swan on her way to thesouth pole! ´see´you in 7 weeks...
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really looking forward to seeing The Golden Compass. I've never read the book...and usually when the movie comes first into my life, I'm not inclined to read it after, being corrupted with someone else's imagery.

I did want to see The Waitress, even though it looks pretty "nothing"! Speaking of which, we took in Enchanted over t-giving and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Plain silly fun. I also liked Mr. Magorium, but I guess I'm just a sucker for happy endings.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbj...thought you might enjoy this article about the dear Julie...

http://www.smh.com.au/cgi-bin/common/popupPrintArticle.pl?path=/articles/2007/11/23/1195753287423.html
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swan...if you enjoyed 'No Reservations'...have you seen 'Mostly Martha'? the German film No Rs was based on...I loved it to bits!

and Griffin...I'll imagine you watching 'Ratatouille' soon er than later...on rottentomatoes.com of 196 reviews, 190 gave it a positive rating...it truly is a wondrous film..I almost forgot it was animation...guess that will happen soon...no need for actors and their zillions of dollars Wink maybe theatre will make a comeback..oh oh oh goodie to that..nothing like BEing there methinks

'n some lovely Ratatouille trivia from imdb:

The animation team worked alongside chef Thomas Keller at his restaurant French Laundry in order to learn the art of cooking. Mr. Keller also appears in a cameo role as the voice of a patron at Gusteau's.

To create a realistic-looking compost pile, artists photographed and researched the way real produce rots. Fifteen different kinds of produce were left to rot and then photographed, such as apples, berries, bananas, mushrooms, oranges, broccoli, and lettuce.

The window shop displaying dead rats actually exists. It is the window of Destruction des Animaux Nuisibles, an exterminator established since 1872, located 8 rue des Halles in the first arrondissement. (I can remember coming across this place on my first visit to Paris...GRAPHIC!!!every inch of the window display was so Destruction des Animaux Nuisiblesish)

To find out how to animate the scene where the chef is wet, they actually dressed someone in a chef suit, and put him in a swimming pool to see which parts of the suit stuck to his body, and which parts you could see through.

4 and Michael Clayton tomorrow...haven't been to a double feature for ages...the joy of an afternoon and early evening of film...when the lights dim...the anticipation...
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madam that pic is fabulous. The lighting is lush and brilliant and just makes you and the carving look fascinating. Annie Liebowitz couldn't have done better.

It needs to be the cover of your autobiography!

Griffin- I just started reading The Golden Compass last night. I feel a trifle awkward reading young adult fiction but I'm up for a good adventure.

What did it for me was a discussion on my book trading site of the effort to boycott the movie. What now heartens me is that you enjoyed them.

It must be wonderful to be familiar with the locations. I want to have pictures in my mind but, of course, I'm just inventing them out of whole cloth.

I haven't gotten very far but I must say the dæmons are a fascinating and pregnant invention.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big carving next to Madame S. ( do we have we a cooler picture on C&Z??) is a huge rooster-- (crower at dawn) which fits with the light/lumiere theme of this film-inventor home. Also, behind her, the wall is painted (stenciled?) with big green and yellow stalks of corn-- (Kelloggs, eat your heart out.)
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

golly all this talk of light!

my dad and sister stayed with us last night...that meant Sieg and I slept in the foldout bed upstairs...(papa being 92 I like to give him our bed..)....now for the rest of the story you have to realise that without glasses close up stuff is foggy....as I woke some of my hair was in front of my eyes...I was simply transfixed with what the light was doing to a few strands of hair!...they were intersecting...each hair appeared as many finer strands...the loops looking for all the world like spaghetti freeways...and every so often a sheer ball of the fairest opal...that dear flimfans was the start to my morn...what a rooster wakeup methinks!

and then to read of the light in this thread!

darkness has its time as well...think of the cinema Wink that 'I can't waitness' of the lights being dimmed...

oh oh oh such a time to be alive!

I was a sort of wedding crasher yesterday ...(my brother in law couldn't attend so I went with my dear sister)...had a greatttttttttt time! a group of guys at the wedding asked her if I was there to pick up goodlooking guys Wink she suggested we see 'Wedding Crashers' last night...'twas a beautiful afternoon wedding (Judy...at Wentworth Falls...a home overlooking a gully....raining and wonderful!)

so...Wedding Crashers last night...for three quarters of the film I laughed myself silly....silence for the rest...wondered the rottentomato rating..169 reviews 126 fresh...love this bit from one of them:

“Wedding Crashers” works because Vaughn and Wilson are two of the funniest motor mouths in movies today. They could do cold readings of
Sylvia Plath poems and make them sound hilarious.

'n I heartily agree with this:

So “Wedding Crashers” scores big laughs early, but doesn’t know when to pack up and leave. Leave it to a couple of crashers to overstay their welcome.
msue

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We finally saw Ratatouille last night on DVD. My husband wanted to replay parts of the DVD to see what ingredients went into a couple of the dishes - replay the animation! It was also great to see Thomas Keller on the DVD 'extras' after the film.

The amount of detail that went into that film is amazing. When Keller showed one of his dishes of real ratatouille, and the slices in an individual serving curved the same way as in the film, it was clear that the filmmakers really did their homework.
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you know that ratatouille recipe is listed here somewhere on C&Z?

Do a search on "ratatouille" if you want to give it a whirl when fresh produce comes around again.
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4!!!!!!!!!!

dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo see it Very Happy

my darling daughter doesn't usually do the 'got goosebumps' thing..or at least she keeps them to herself...however with this gem...the bumps were there!

4 ...4 seasons...Vivaldi...Japan in Spring, Australia in Summer, USA (NYC) in Autumn..oh ok Fall....'n Finland in Winter

I fell in love with Winter...ah, but it already knows that.

so many joyous images that come racing back as I recall the film...and the playing!

I love this quote:There is such a high level of talent and inventiveness concentrated in these two musicians that it simply must violate some universal law of the cosmos. CARL VINE....he is speaking of Pekka Kuusisto and Simon Crawford-Phillips...Pekka plays in the Winter section with so much 'oh my goshness energy'...every so often someone comes on a screen and takes the viewer to some other place...I see it sometimes at The Byron Bay Blues Festival each year...some musicians go elsewhere and at the same time stay with us...the wondrous magic of music methinks..

Pekka won the Sibelius Violin Competition at 19!

this film is HIGHLY recommended...I'll be dvd buying for sure for sure

'n Michael Clayton..

yes!

Tilda Swinton...by golly what a dame...she seems to be able to make her body move in such 'yes that's how you'd move in that situation' ways...standing with the hit man in the street...those eyes letting him know but just don't make her say the words..those eyes falling into the chaos

'n George...yep..nails the character...a glam guy who can 'Oh Brother Where Art Thou' and 'Michael Clayton'...I doth like that kind of acting...acting...

big law firms must be so much fun Sad

next probably 'The Waitress'...

was thinking the other day that we, ourselves, all 6 and a bit billion of us, are really screenwriters in a way...we write our own dialogue...our own lines...we are our own set designers, directors...all that in a way...this one-person show we run...rather exciting and daunting at the same time..wonder what we'd call our film...the film of oneself...

I guess it would change each moment perhaps...

today mine would be Everester
gingerpale

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to C&Z, Everester!
Griffin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBJ,

Do try Northern Lights, the first book in the trilogy and enjoy it for the story alone. It's such a wonderful story and Lyra is such a terrific character along with her daemon, Pantalaimon.

Rainey,

I haven't been to Oxford but this 'parallel' Oxford sounds like a good deal more fun. I was recommended the book by a woman on my MA course who said she wasn't going to read the rest because she objected to the underlying anti-church message. My response to that is - as an atheist I read and loved a lot about the Narnia Chronicles. There were some things that sat uneasily - the racism in the last book for example, but Pullman is not from the same cloth as Lewis - autre temps, autre moeurs as it were.

But my family (except for dad) read and loved the trilogy. Reading it again I've found it so much fun. The Magisterium are easily seen not as the Church but as the baddies against whom Lyra is ready to fight. It is, as David would say, a rollicking good read. The second book, The Subtle Knife is a little disorientating at first but you soon find yourself again and heading to the final book's adventures. And it is a fabulous adventure altogether - on a mythic scale.

Madame,

I love Pixar stuff so I definitely want to see Ratatouille. Hmm, in fact I could do with seeing the Incredibles again too!
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The true prescience of Pullman, I think, is that a British man writing in the mid-90s identified the most evil woman on the planet as a blonde (if I may borrow from the movie casting) named Coulter!!!
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hadn't heard of her before, although Greg with his intense interest in all things political had ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ann_Coulter

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 27 of 30

Jump to: