Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Scones
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning all!

This scone recipe is great. I have used one like it before and it always works. There is also a substitution of soda water for lemonade (soda water in Australia is carbonated water, not mineral water. Haven't found it here in France yet) which works really well and is good for those who don't want the sugar from the lemonade. Diet lemonade doesn't seem to work as well, think it might be the sugar substitute that changes the texture and flavour. I always used a pouring consistency cream in the mix. Not sure if that was correct or not as my recipe just said "cream", but it worked well.

I love this recipe with chopped dried dates added to it. Date scones are just fabulous, especially when just out of the oven. Just watch that you don't burn your mouth like I usually do on red hot melting dates..... patience is a virtue which I just can't seem to master sometimes.
Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I will pop this answer in... (sorry for the bad joke)

thickened cream in Australia is a cream which has had a gelatine product added to it. This makes it whip into a thick cream with soft peaks. It is not as heavy as clotted cream. You can pour it from the container, but when whipped it becomes thick.

If I was making a pastry and wanted to layer it high with cream and other goodies, I would add a teaspoon of vanilla pudding powder (a powder which you mix with milk to make a milk pudding type dessert) and then whip the cream. It makes it go extra thick and also extends the shelf life of the cream as the powder has a presevative in it. Really good when you want to pipe the cream and not have it melt or be shaken out of shape if taking it somewhere. Doesn't really change the taste, just adds a slight vanilla flavour.
ejm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie, isn't Badoit carbonnated water?

Barbara, I'm absolutely reeling at the idea of scones made with coke and chocolate chips. I'd love to see a Scot's dour look of disapproval! Very Happy

Interesting idea to use fizzy water in scones though. I've heard of using it in batter for frying - I gather it lightens the batter.

Thanks for posting your scone recipe Judy! It makes me realize that there are probably as many different scone recipes out there as there are people who emigrated from Scotland. Who knows? Maybe there are more! Smile
simona

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: scones Reply with quote

Hi Judy, I'll try your scones, with sprite ( the Australian lemonade!)Thanks

Hi to syrenmuse,
Unfortunately the family recipe of Humentachen was lost with my grandma's death ( about 25 years ago). My mother ( age 86!!) doesn't do them, and my grandchildern don't like them. They prefer Mc. donald. But I will always remember their taste. As a child I lived in Bucharest and Purim was the one time in year my grandma came to visit us.
Do you have any family recipe?
But what I would like most, is to learn where is that super=liberal synagogue which allows "Drag Queen Esther Race" !! I would like to have one in my neighbourhood!!
PS : When will your website be ready?
Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good evening!

Badoit is actually a mineral water that is carbonated. It has a flavour to it similar to mineral water (sparkling type). Soda water has no flavour at all and does not have all the minerals in it that badoit and other brands of mineral water do.... at least in Australia...... elsewhere in the world they might have different definitions.

Maybe you could substitute it if you wanted to make a savoury scone, but I don't know how good it would taste for a sweet one? Anyone want to give it a try???
rebecca

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What products outside of Australia would be the equivalent of the thickened cream?
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie's post above on Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:20 am explains what thickened cream is - a quick read of the labels of different types of cream in your local supermarket fridge should help you find one that has gelatine in it.
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Scones Reply with quote

Okay, for those of us (mainly me) who are slow on the uptake: what we're talking about here, translated into American-ese is:

Biscuits, not Scones like at Starbucks

7 Up, not lemonaide made from lemons, water and sugar

And light cream with gelatin, right?

My partner is Scottish and we're constantly doing translations of "What did you say??"

For example"

Scottish: Jelly U.S.: Jello
Scottish:Pudding U.S.:Dessert
Scottish: Lemonade U.S.: Any light-colored carbonated soda
Scottish: Cream cakes U.S.: Any pastry filled with custard like eclairs, Napoleons, etc.

So, whenever she requests something from the store, I have to ask her, "Describe the food for me," so that I can make sure there's no disappointment when I come back home! Rolling Eyes
rebecca

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This simply proves we are divided by a common language! Wink
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you're SO right, rebecca! When I first met Sally, through the Internet, she would end our IM's or conversations with "Oooo, I have to go to "tea" now and we're having tasty "pudding", too."

For months, I couldn't figure out why her family kept making such a big deal over tea, the drink, and why every dessert was pudding, the cornstarch and milk dessert.

It was months and months later that I found out, in a laugh-filled conversation, that her family's "tea" is OUR dinner/supper and "pudding" could be ANYTHING for dessert (pie, cake, ice cream), but never, EVER under any circumstances actual PUDDING the stuff that Bill Cosby would pitch to little kids in America. Apparently, according to Sally, our pudding is considered swill overseas!

We still laugh about the language barrier almost daily.
Crow4ever

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are in the US, just use whipping cream for the thickened cream.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: