Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Adieu John Howard
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emilyj I think it's always a danger when the Senate becomes a virtual rubber stamp...no matter the party in power...

as to whether there would have been a different outcome...

have just read this piece by Steve Biddulph:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2007/11/28/1196036982629.html

I think the whole landscape of politics is changing...almost volcanic...and perhaps this will happen all over the globe...that the old ways are no longer suitable for this time...

rather interesting days I think...

my dear Uncle Harry used to say 'a bird needs both a left and right wing to fly'...life's balance
gingerpale

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Madame--both the 2nd Sinodinos article and the Biddulph could open lengthy discussions--the links to American goings-on is very very interesting..
2 quotes, one from each-- both disheartening.

"Rational argument will not win people over."

"Energy, weather and human misery are the factors that will define our lives for decades to come. You can cancel your newspaper, those are the only four words you need to know."

But googling "tall poppy syndrome" was fun and rewarding, emilyj ! Very Happy
Evidently it's a worldwide concept, expressed with great variety and richness of language.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh golly..all this Oz politics!

Brendan Nelson is the new leader of the Libs...

I've been reading a piece written about him 2 years back. This from the article:

He told Parliament about the agony of watching his only brother, Philip, die in 1995 after a long struggle with AIDS, and uttered the ringing words: "Homosexual people are our brothers and sisters, our aunts and uncles, our sons and daughters, and some are even parents, and they should be able to live in a society that is free of intolerance, persecution and hatred."

the article itself for anyone interested in learning a bit about the man:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/the-evolution-of-brendan-nelson/2005/12/22/1135032135726.html?page=4

he used to wear a diamond earring until perhaps Howard told him it wasn't a good idea...not sure why it disappeared...

he was also a member of the Labor Party at one stage...

all these days have a Shakespearean whiff about them Wink

Howard's not in his grave as yet, however in some surreal way he's turning in it...
emilyj

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't heard the news yet about Brendan Nelson. It's pretty funny when you are receiving political news from c&z Very Happy

Brendan Nelson apparently also has an amazing memory for numbers. I remember during his election debate he could just pull statistics out of his head. It amazed me no end (I have no head for numbers at all) but apart from that I don't know much about him. I'm sure I will find out more from the article that you linked to though, thankyou.
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emilyj...seems I sent the link to page 4 of the article!

obviously I don't have a thing for numbers..unless chocolate-dipped

Brendan from page 1 Wink

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/the-evolution-of-brendan-nelson/2005/12/22/1135032135726.html
Barbara

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a documentary on planes recently purchased by the Australian Defence Force. It was not very complimentary toward Brendan Nelson. I'd have preferred the Turnbull/Bishop combo. When I was in Perth on holiday last year I saw her every day running in Kings Park when I was out on my early morning walk.
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara methinks you'll see Malcolm there one day...he's not one for not being top dog Wink
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to think the following is dated July 11!

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/opinion/animations/0,25199,36,00.html

methinks Nicolson (the animation king) is relishing the thought of the next few years...
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emilyj, unfortunately I know a bit too much about the new Liberal leader, which I won't go into on a public forum. SA is now very well-represented at the pointy end of the government and opposition, though aren't they? Gillard, Nelson & Bishop are all from Adelaide and the Hills.

Here's an interesting fact: First time leaders of the Opposition have never become PM.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
emilyj

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm intrigued, Judy. But shall pry no further, however sorely I am tempted

Barbara, I thought Malcolm Turnbull would be a better candidate too. He was looking like a sure thing until he was interviewed by Fran Kelly on Radio National the other morning. A little too far to the left for Nick Minchin apparently.

The winds of change are certainly blowing through Aussie politics at the moment...
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emilyj, there's always email Wink

seems the other Malcolm ..Fraser...did a ring around with support for Mr T....that might have frightened a few horses...

it's a massive example of change...how one minute...'n then the next...

the shape of India was a certain shape...along come a big wave and changes...

'though all is changing ...nothing the same...one moment to the next...stars exploding every whatever those seconds are called...

emilyj, I too am intrigued...methinks he wont be the leader this time next year...Mr T will be hard at work...getting the numbers ready for the attack...

if you've not heard the Jackie Kelly interview..she had a chat with Tony Abbott before the interview...goodness knows what he suggested she say....here it is in all its splendor!

(5th link (audio) down under the photo ~ her husband holding one of the leaflets)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/11/22/2097666.htm?site=elections/federal/2007

bet your bottom dollar there'll be an investigation...
jenyfari

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting days ahead. There were so many things affecting different people - the rising interest rates, the climate, the workplace choices, falling public health provisions and so on. With the Liberals having control in both houses meant there was nothing to stop them doing whatever they wanted. Bad move on the part of Australian voters.

Labor generally goes in, blows all the dough and times get tough. So we shall see how it all pans out. This new bunch of Laborites seem to have a few more clues than the old guard, and Rudd seems like a nice fellow.
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

such a lot has happened in two weeks!!!!!

this, part of the wondrous ('n funny)Annabel Crabb's article in today's Herald:

During the election campaign, the worker bees in the Coalition's campaign headquarters in Melbourne had a number of devices to keep their morale high over the course of six exhausting weeks.

They had a newsletter, and every day a new inspirational slogan was posted up around the walls. With 16 days to go, staff arriving early in the morning noticed that the slogan for the day was "Winning isn't everything. It's the only thing. (Vincent van Gogh)"

This is an invigorating quotation, and quite a revealing one in terms of what it suggests about van Gogh, who has never historically been known for his motivational one-liners.

Cursory research reveals that the quotation was misattributed; they are actually the words of Vince Lombardi, the American football coach.

Political campaigns are like that; they can smell weakness, and once you start losing, there comes a time pretty quickly when you can't get anything right. "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser," is Lombardi's brutal assessment.

Perhaps, at this late stage, Nelson and his colleagues would be better advised to turn to the real words of van Gogh, who set a somewhat gentler example on the question of regrouping after defeat.

"As we advance in life it becomes more and more difficult, but in fighting the difficulties the inmost strength of the heart is developed."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: