Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

let's go to the movies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin, I'll definitely take your advice. It's on my list for as soon as I finish A Moveable Feast, which I just started on last night...
Griffin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey,

We've heard of Anne Coulter too, there was an interview with her in the Guardian one weekend. I was struck by the fact that she was a blonde and thought rapidly of all the smart blondes I know just to counteract the stereotyped nit of that one. Does she have a small golden monkey for a daemon too? Tho' in the book she's a brunette not a blonde... er not Anne Coulter, the Mrs Coulter of the book!!! Confused

SBJ,

I shall have to find A Moveable Feast for yet one more book to read during the holidays! I am going to do some writing too, honest!! Wink
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waitress

and the joy was I'd only seen the poster...no trailers..no reviews...no story line...fresh.

what a gem..Keri Russell spot on in the main role...a film that takes you to all kinds of places...we went to our local little cinema...11.55 am showing...10 in the theatre...and even with that small number I could feel the energy of the audience with different scenes...

didn't know of Adrienne Shelly..(came home and searched the net...).she wrote the screenplay when 8 months pregnant ...the sorrow of her death...at 40...she had complained about the noise a young man was making in the apartment under hers...he hung her...her husband and the doorman found her...

life and its stories...

sometimes ...oh golly...just sometimes...I don't know what else to write...

life and its stories...

ah, I know...may we remember the peace love and joy that IS

I know it might look a bit gooey...however at times...I do believe that there's power in a thought...

had I known that Adrienne Shelly played the character of Dawn in the film..and had I known that she'd been murdered...how different that would have been for me...an example of knowledge or lack of having a bearing on your take on something...

hugs to the movie goers of C&Z...
nima

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame,

I completely agree. The Waitress was a great, if melancholy viewing experience. Adrienne Shelley was just blossoming into a very promising career. I loved her years ago, in Hal Hartley's _Trust_. It was just a sad undertone, to a movie that was such fun otherwise.
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Annie is smart enough. She just happens to be completely vicious.

If she ever had a golden monkey I'm sure she tortured it and then ate it half alive. ...after blaming it for being a media whore and enjoying all the attention it got from being so miserable (as she did the widows of the 9/11 victims).

Yes, Pullman's Mrs. Coulter is a brunette. But I suspect Chris Weitz, reading the book, thought immediately of dear Ann and couldn't get the image of a blonde out of his head when he cast Nicole Kidman.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey, I've read an interview with Pullman...and even though he wrote Mrs Coulter as a brunette...after seeing Nicole Kidman as blonde in the role...he reckons that's better...blonde for the character...

'Away From Her' ~ here I am sitting looking at the screen wondering where oh where to start...what word comes first...after seeing this wondrous piece of filming...as I left the cinema, I stood still for a few seconds and goosebumps flooded my body...the heartbreaking joy of the performances...how deep they allowed themselves to travel for us...

as the credits rolled and kd lang sang 'Helpless'...echoing throughout the cinema I was aware of tears..behind me...early session...then the lights...tears...one young woman alone...weeping...another with her friend's arms wrapped around her shoulders...all with story ...

there's something 'Brokeback Mountain' about it...I can imagine some people seeing it and not quite knowing WHY they've been so affected by it...

Gordon Pinsent..I could watch his Grant over and over...his face!

Sarah Polley (all of 28 now thank you very much) adapted "The Bear Came Over the Mountain" with Julie Christie in mind for the role of Fiona...

exquisite film
georgia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Rainey, for Coulter comments so that I didn't have to do it. I thought about weighing in on Ann Coulter but decided I'd never stop once I started. You forgot "opportunistic". No one can be that publicly mean without clear knowledge of the notoriety it will bring -- and welcoming it. I'd like to think she takes loving care of her aging mother and loves puppy dogs, but I doubt it...

I can never see her (which I try NOT to do) without fighting the urge to reach right through the television and smack that smirk right off her face. I have that reaction to some political figures as well, but that's another story... Rolling Eyes
eileen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madameshawshank,
have also staggered away from seeing 'away from her.'
poignant.
brought up lots of discussion of elderly-care in different cultures. and also the impact of past mistakes (infidelity).
unforgettable and hugely watchable.
'helpless' brought us to our knees.
xo
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eileen...my beloved mother's name!

8.03am..under 24 hours since I saw the film....to our knees...there I am, already, back in the cinema...that sound of that song...filling every space in that space...a cry of a certain time methinks...

I marvel at film...I really do!

that we are able to experience such wonder...as this film..

hugs

tears

'n I've just come back for a ps:

the white shirt Julie Christie wears in an early scene...oh my! and THE coat...all with the snow...and the scene filmed from above....she in the snow amongst the trees...that flop...of knowingness perhaps...

and through it all...some part of me...perhaps all of me...feels/reckons/believes/whatever the word perhaps there isn't the word that deep deep deep down we never lose it...in coma in Fiona's case in the seemingly lost it...there's that part of us that never loses...that part of us beyond the physical...

ah...
eileen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and are there any other types like me who zero in on people's kitchens (or living spaces)in the movies?
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eileen..often I'll revisit a film to do just that...to take in all the visual..I can remember talking with friends about Brokeback Mountain..and one said she found herself taking in Ennis' flat...all the detail...and she's seen it but once...

moi on the other hand hardly noticed the flat at all...the people the people the faces...Alma's (Michelle William's) face at the doorway..

now with many viewings Wink I could almost sketch each scene...down to detail!

Babette's Feast...the detail of those sets...

so eileen, the answer to you question is YES!
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other people's kitchens always attract me - in movies or real life. They frequently have just the right aount and kind of clutter to feel like the homiest part of home. Pictures on the fridge, meds on the counter, knick knacks & do-dads...

Ever see Kitchen Stories? Quaint flick if you like slow human type movies (like I know you all do).
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh sweetbabyjames you'd have a field day in our kitchen!

as for the film...will check it out...looked on rottentomatoes for some information on it...very high overall approval rating

am reminded..with this talk of kitchens..of the book titled "Kitchen Table Wisdom"...can remember being in a bookshop where it had been shelved in the cookery section...book judged by its title Wink

lovely book by the way...

there's a fine movie programme on tv in australia...At the Movies...

http://www.abc.net.au/atthemovies/

the most recent programme was a gorgeous hour...and oh the movies to look forward to:

Atonement; The Kite Runner; American Ganster; Lust, Caution; No Country for Old Men; The Darjeeling Limited; 2 Days in Paris and so on..............might lock myself in a cinema for a while...
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish we could find an island to exile her to....But, unless it was uninhabited we'd be unleashing her on some poor unsuspecting islanders. Would be best to buy her a muzzle.

I finally saw the latest installment of "Pirates' and I did enjoy it. I did feel that there was a lot introduced that fell short in development and conclusion. But, it was visually stunning and a lot of fun.

I am dying to see 'Juno' and 'Atonement', but they have yet to come to my desolate corner of the island.

"It's hot ham water."
eileen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now, another question, as i am preparing to travel tomorrow morning for a family christmas.
do you buy dvds? if yes, which ones?
i am not one to view very many movies more than once, but, being trapped on an airline, it's very tempting to have one's own personal movie on the laptop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 28 of 30

Jump to: