Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Mikhail Baryshnikov and dancing to one's heartbeat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Mikhail Baryshnikov and dancing to one's heartbeat Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTt8KrFBbHE

8.50 minutes of sheer joy...

how are there words for this!!!

Clive Barnes said of him: the most perfect dancer I have ever seen.
charlsy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such perfection... I burst into tears watching him dance. I have always loved ballet (13 years of training left me with nice "duck feet"). When I see this... I know why... With maybe the exception Fred Astaire I have never seen anything more heavenly beautiful...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
charlsy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing this gift with us...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlsy, dear dancer..thought you might also enjoy these words from the flight man himself:

The essence of all art is to have pleasure in giving pleasure.

not sure I agree with him...however since it's Mikhail speaking I'll leave it at that...even thinking of his dancing I find part of my heart seems to stop for a bit...that sense of breathtaking...that sense of 'am I really SEEING this?'....such a treat to be able to drink in such wonder...and many bouquets to the youtube inventor/s....that at any time we can click and be taken to that place of deep movement...he seems to connect with beyond somehow...bit like that other dear Russian Wink

Charlsy, have you seen Rudolph's grave? a truly extraordinary work of art..

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pif&GRid=4047&PIgrid=4047&PIcrid=639043&ShowCemPhotos=Y&

the day I arrived it was colddddddddd and for a long time I was the only one there...took me ages to find it...and then...the Winter sunlight shone on the tiles..tears flowed...there's a ..from memory..marble seat alongside...I sat..and knocked (somehow or other it seemed appropriate) and chatted with the dancer dancer...told him the joy his dancing had brought...someone had left a ballet slipper there...a rose...and notes...I could still be there...one of those moments that feel deeply enriching..and linking..'twas nice to be able to say thanks there...and oh oh oh the mosaic cover...I think Rudi designed it with someone who had worked with him on sets...not sure......still with me..the image..of that day...I can feel that sunlight

glasses raised to the dance...of the ages...of always methinks...
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh Mikhail Heartthrobikov--thank you Madame, he's pure thrill in so many ways. Lots of known established heartthrobs don't come close.

A practical question though, about Nureyev's gravesite--is the fabric coverlet a permanent thing? Was it just for the funeral day?
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerpale...that my dear one is no fabric coverlet...that is a thousands of tiles coverlet...from wikipedia:

His grave, at a Russian cemetery in Sainte-Geneviève-des-Bois near Paris, features a mosaic headstone of an oriental Turkic-style carpet. Nuruyev was an avid collector of beautiful carpets and antique textiles.

On the day I visited, I took the train...had my upstairs neighbour's street directory..heavy...walked and walked...then the pale blue onion dome...that's it!...a cemetery tells you about a place..about the culture of the times....the Polish cemetery differs from the French from the German from the Australian...

Rudi's carpet is one for all seasons...I think it's time for another thank you...did you see the documentary on him..towards the end of his life...there he was still doing barre work...from memory he was on an island perhaps near Capri?..he could look out to sea...while doing what he'd done almost all his life...practise..go over ...that frail body...dancing still...until life said ..time for stillness dear dancer..time for still...and then the other dance began Wink
gingerpale

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! When you said "sun...on tiles" "work of art"--
I figured this was all under that carpet! Caught me by surprise completely-- and even now that I know, it looks like cloth.
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerpale..even though I'm seriously tempted to go and search through the photos I took of my time there...I'll continue the task at hand..a bit of sorting!...and I'll look forward to the photo search ...later on this eve...I didn't have a digital camera...I gave most of the photos to the daughter of a dear friend...she almost fainted when I told her I'd been to Rudi's grave...

will have a few developed..and post them for you...it's quite an amazing cemetery...as all are I suppose...

am imagining what it would be like to design one's grave...as he did...along with a designer friend...

at the moment I'd go with a book theme Wink ..I think it's somewhere in Africa where the tradition is to buried in a coffin that reflects you...so a fish shape for a fisherman....etc
gingerpale

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I was wondering if this amazing mosaic was his idea--
too bad, it deflated my admiration. I suppose to be at the top of any field/art your ego must be giant.
But if we disregard ostentation for this project, I suppose I'd want to be under some very well-cared-for spectacular rose bushes.
That, or a little candy castle.. Smile
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh I dunno gingerpale...it's simply a wondrous piece...he loved textiles..and thus...a for-a-while permanent cover ...I just imagined one covered in stars...a Milky Way coverlet...
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: