Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

What do you eat in Disney World?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jen, you'll have a great time. Friends of ours have just got home from a similar family gathering in Mexico (well, minus the theme park bit). Parents came from Ireland to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary and they have 3 kids, one in Vienna, one in Australia and one in Mexico. All had a wonderful time, and I'm sure you will too.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Griffin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Griffin, I like yo' style, Brothah! I was thinking of scrawling a copy of Kliban's cat cartoon of a feline playing banjo, singing, "Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat... Love them little tails, nibble they tiny feet." on the back of the shirt. Or an illustration of a mousetrap...

Now THERE'S an idea!! Laughing Or chasing Mickey around the place with a carving knife singing the nursery rhyme!!! Bwahahahaha!!! Twisted Evil

It could be fun... until you are thrown out by security while yelling, "What? I'm a farmer's wife, I'm supposed to cut off his tail!"
jenyfari

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think DisneyWorld is an absolute blast. I have only been once and at the busiest and hottest time of the year but still had a brilliant time. So much to see and do and if you plan it right you don't have to sit in queues all day. Use the fast pass system and it is easy.

Epcot is definitely the best place to eat. Wish we had gone there on our first day. Plenty of different foods to choose from so you are sure to find something to suit.
simona

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Jen,

I sincerely appologize for my country of not having been able to host all of you in June 06'. It was not a good month, but everything is quiet now ( on the East front...)''.December in Eilat- could have been a treat.. Well I hope you'll eventually come and visit your parents and your brother one of these days. If you do, please let me know, Hadera is around the corner - I live near TA , but considering the lenght of Israel, nothing is really very far away.- , and who knows, maybe we could meet over a big plate of fresh fish on the seafront restaurant, and have a good time as we did, Swan , her sister and me some time ago.
Meanwhile, enjoy Disney- you're never too old to feel young.. and Mazal Tov to your parents. Is there any other Mazal Tov occasion in the near future?

No more war , let people enjoy their Golden Anniversary in peace!
simona

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS . Happy Hannuka . Do they have REAL doughnuts in Disney world?
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simona, you and your country are going to be sorely missed this gathering- I will be looking for the Sufganiot (doughnuts) at every turn, as well as a felafel stand and the latke counter. As its Hanukkah, I must get my fill of deep fried goodies. Tempura is always a backup plan.

In all my years and trips over to Israel, I never was able to get to Eilat... Hot sand, warm seas, tanned gorgeous people playing paddleball on the beach- much less craziness than Disney!

Thank you also for the Mazal Tov for my folks- fifty years is an accomplishment no matter how you slice it! We will also be celebrating five other family birthdays this trip, so that Mazal must stretch pretty thinly. No "other" happy events planned, but Brian is interviewing for jobs...that'll be a huge celebration...which may lead to another one... Wink

Jenyfari, I cot a call from my brother, MR Disney Organizer yesterday. All made it in town alive and well, all eleven fast passes were going alright, but he sounded totally frazzled... He said to me from the Teacup Ride, "This isn't going so well. Its like moving a herd. We need to streamline this process a little!". I hung up, laughing my tail off.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its like moving a herd

Sounds more like herding cats!

Have a great time, Jen.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
friend

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are either a Disney person or you are not. I am not. We took our two kids 1 and 3 to Disney and we hated every bit of it, especially the food! For me, it was crippling to be trapped on Disney property. It cost almost $100 to take a taxi to the grocery and back.

Downtown Disney has decent food and is close to your resort. Good luck! Food is objective.
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Initial asessment Reply with quote

Fact: If you bat your eyelashes at the nice man in the hotel food court, he throws extra chicken in your Asian Chicken Salad. I could eat them all week if I need to, and just might.

Fact: Disney realizes that everyone needs a little help sometimes. They graciously provide premixed, bottled Cosmopolitans in the food court, aptly branded "Jenn".

I think I am gonna like it here...
David

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the spirit knifethrower! Enjoy and go with the flow. I think if I ever outgrow Disney (especially the movies) I won't want to be around any more.
georgia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See? We all should have known better...Disney LOVES Happy Endings!

Glad your trip turned out well, Jen.
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: Wrap up! Reply with quote

I doubt my head will stop spinning for a few weeks yet. Brian is cross-eyed-fried as well. Mentally it was a huge drain...now I know why kids enjoy it so much- they are totally liberated once they reach the promised land and nothing else matters!

So, to sum up: Did we starve? Heck no.

Did we have bad meals? One, but it was a last minute reservation made in order to accommodate our late entry into a group event, but it was balanced with a nice Riesling collection to choose from.

Did we find anything we really liked? Sure. We managed to find things that suited our family peculiarities and tastes, which is hard to do and it even brought back some memories we shared over the meals.

Fulton's Crab House was very elegant and they treated us very well- we reserved the top deck of the riverboat itself for my parent's 50th anniversary celebration. The private dining room was well staffed, incredibly prepared for any and every need we encountered, and they made the event a true effortless joy. The wine selections were outstanding and a delightful surprise, as most of the offerings we were interested in were from Oregon. We had NY Strips or blue crab cakes (cakes, as in TWO, as in as big as a saucer and only 5% binder), all had grilled lobster tails and a vegetable side. Mocha cake, Perrier Jouet and Illy espresso respectively started and capped it all off.

We survived, reunited a many fractioned family and it did not suck...

Now for Jen's true thoughts:

I learned that Disney is way more palatable with a few belts on board. See previous post on Jenn Cosmopolitans and Appletinis. Purse-sized. Very well-thought out.

Disney needs to learn to put a bathroom right next to the Everest roller coaster in the Animal Kingdom. I was only the cool auntie to my nephew until I got off the ride and turned green (no breakfast, too much adrenalin, bad pancreas, you get the idea). I'd have rather hid in the crapper than let him see me like that.

Disney is creepy happy and utterly organized. After a day or two you actually appreciate it, especially if you find out late in life that you come from completely disorganized people, which I did on this trip.

As much as they catered to the lush in me, I could not believe the severe lack of java juice. This country runs on coffee, like it or not, and the fact that the majority of us do not drink brewed transparent liquid seems to have eluded the folks at Disney. There is a freaking SUGAR DISPENSER in the gift shop of the hotel, lots of pretty pastel shades of artificially flavored evaporated cane juice (lets be PC here) to fill a Budweiser Tall Boy sized cup with a cartoon character on it, but BUPKIS for java. Who do they think is pushing that stroller, herding that cheerleading squad or micromanaging that family reunion? WE WANT ESPRESSO AND A LOT OF IT!

Will I go back? Thank you, but I gotta say no. Its just not my thing. Did I hate it? Not really. Just, as I said, not my thing.

Everyone, I thank you. I sincerely appreciate all of everyone chipping in their two bits to help us make it a more enjoyable trip. I cannot express this enough, it really helped.

If you want gory details and Kodak moments, feel free to flip to my website. Updates will arrive as I recover, little by little.

knifethrower1.blogspot.com
jenyfari

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really thing that the only way to enjoy DisneyWorld as an adult is to not take the kids. No offence to the kids here. It can be heaps of fun with them but we all know they can be draining and you spend most of your time looking after them and doing the things they want to do.

I went with a friend. We had an absolute hoot because we got to go on the rides we wanted to, got to eat when we wanted to and got to sit down and relax when we wanted to.

Just lots of fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: