Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Budget Mom, Daughter and Grandmother look for good eats!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blueberrymoon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Budget Mom, Daughter and Grandmother look for good eats! Reply with quote

Hello!
We are going to Paris in May for two weeks and will be staying in an apartment in the 6th arr. We are hoping to have fun shopping in the markets and preparing meals to save some $. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for yummy bakeries, cheese shops, supermarkets etc. in the area. We will be on Rue de Seine. ALSO wanting to learn about any restaurants that are "typically" French and serve meals at lunch for aprox. 11 Euros or so per person. We are thinking about having our main meal then. The resturants do not have to be in the 6th arr, we will be all over the city at one time or another.Smile We are so excited. Thanks!
Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning!

Before you leave, get in touch with the Women of the American Church (WOAC) via the American Church in Paris. They have a website and you can look them up easily from home. On the website they have lots of info and you could probably email them and ask for suggestions. They are not just for Americans (I am Australian) but are there for all english speaking people in Paris.

Bring moisturiser as the water is very hard and I find that my feet get horribly dry and calloused walking around all day and showering in the hard water (I never had a problem with this in Australia where the water is softer)

There are so many restaurants and cafes and bistros in Paris. Eating seems to be a national passtime. I have no particular suggestion except to say that every cafe/restaurant will have a board outside with the days menu on it. You can order a la carte, a menu (which is a set menu of entree main and dessert for a set price) and some will have other "specials" such as fixed price deals. Just keep your eyes open as you walk around near lunchtime and you will find many options.

I was told that to save money you can eat standing up at the counter of many bakeries/cafes/bistros. Don't know about you, but when I am out sightseeing I just want to sit down at lunchtime as my feet are normally aching for a rest. If you walk slightly away from the main tourist sites you will find things a bit cheaper. I live near Sacre Ceour and the restaurants etc at the top of the hill are quite expensive compared to those near our house which is in a quiet street toward Abesses. Same thing near the Tour Eiffel and Champs Eleysee.

Make sure your apartement has tea and coffee making facilities and utensils/crockery which enables you to take food into the room. We stayed in places in Bordeaux and in Poitiers which did not and it was very difficult when we just wanted a cup of tea, soup and baguette for dinner.

The local supermarket will have milk (usually UHT in Paris) and butter etc. Try different bakeries as they will all have their own specialities. Fromageries can be expensive, but you can get quite nice cheese at the supermarket if you are on a budget. Fruit and veg are easy to find, but be aware that the shop/stall owner might not want you to pick up your own. Most fruit and veg are not self serve here. They may also ask when you want to eat the item and will pick one which will be ripe when you said you wanted to eat it. Cooked chickens and roast potatoes and other cooked veg and meat can be bought at the charcuterie and tratteur. You will smell them before you see them (the roast chicken smell calls you to the shop) and they can be bought whole or by peices.

Have fun and enjoy yourself!
blueberrymoon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your advice. I appreciate all your tips. It is nice to learn things from an an actual person vs a book. After I posted this query here I realised that there were a few earlier posts that had quite extensive replies regarding restaurants. I am really looking forward to this trip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: