Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Proust Questionnaire
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Proust Questionnaire Reply with quote

thought you might enjoy these answers from a fine assortment of folk...

'n then there's the delight of one's own answers....

my answer to the last question is: Life's time.

I do hope you enjoy, 'n am wondering what photo you'll click first...

Catherine Deneuvue was mine...so curious was I..

http://www.vanityfair.com/magazine/archive/proust_archive
gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great fun, Madame! I looked first at Ron Howard, (to see "What would Opie Do?" Wink ) It's interesting that the 5 or 6 I've read so far fit so well with my perception of how they are in real life, even though many of their answers are clearly meant to be amusing, not serious.

Did you catch that C. Deneuve considers beauty a virtue? AND dismisses it as not important..

I don't have a specific motto or any sense of identifying with a historical figure. A lot of the questions I would have to answer "It depends."
Not what VF is looking for, I'm sure!
I'd rather be a great dancer than a great singer--does that mean anything?
A very comprehensive list of questions! I wonder if the computer dating questionnaires are like this, or do they stick to yearly income, do you prefer snow sports or water sports, etc.?
Griffin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Proust Questionnaire
The Proust Questionnaire has its origins in a parlor game popularized (though not devised) by Marcel Proust, the French essayist and novelist, who believed that, in answering these questions, an individual reveals his or her true nature. Here is the basic Proust Questionnaire.
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness? A glass of champagne, an interesting book/writing a story and a comfortable cat on my lap.

2. What is your greatest fear? Being hurt.

3. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself? Occasional pessimism and what-iffing myself, it's a long list.

4. What is the trait you most deplore in others? Bullying, brutality, lying, cheating, fraudulence, wanton cruelty, stupidity... it's a long list.

5. Which living person do you most admire? My 'Athenians' named after the Wise Goddess of Ancient Greece. Blush Clotilde, you're in there! Wink

6. What is your greatest extravagance? Don't have one... yet.

7. What is your current state of mind? Slowly simmering story ideas.

8. What do you consider the most overrated virtue? Patriotism.

9. On what occasion do you lie? So as not to hurt someone's feelings I am carefully tactful, but don't lie. When spoken to by a police officer as in, 'I never saw him/her/it before in my life. Really!'

10. What do you most dislike about your appearance? I'm a man and I'd rather be a cat.

11. Which living person do you most despise? Dick Cheney/Tony Blair/ Margaret Thatcher... my sister.

12. What is the quality you most like in a man? Gentleness, compassion and poeticism.

13. What is the quality you most like in a woman? Wit, kindness, and oh, lots of things!!!

14. Which words or phrases do you most overuse? Who me Officer?!! Nyaah, Bo***ix! ahem. Embarassed

15. What or who is the greatest love of your life? Books, Chocs, Shoes, Cats.

16. When and where were you happiest? Mum giving me a horse chestnut (conker) when I was a kid.

17. Which talent would you most like to have? To be able to shape-shift / change sex at will or to fly with wings like a Burne-Jones angel.

18. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? Everything!!! I'd be braver and bolder!

19. What do you consider your greatest achievement? Getting both my degrees when I was not brilliant at school.

20. If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be? A Cat or a Crow/Eagle... but mostly a cat!

21. Where would you most like to live? The Royal Pavilion, Brighton.

22. What is your most treasured possession? My imagination.

23. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? Being hurt and afraid without any loving support. Being without books.

24. What is your favorite occupation? Writing / Curating

25. What is your most marked characteristic? My operation scars from when I was 7. My absurd sense of humour.

26. What do you most value in your friends? Wit, wisdom, gentleness, kindness and their femininity... well most of my friends are women!

27. Who are your favorite writers? Oh waaay too many! Colette, Mervyn Peake, Emily Bronte, Shakespeare, Graham Greene, Raymond Chandler... See I told you there are so many!

28. Who is your hero of fiction? Mordious! Hercule de Savinien de Cyrano de Bergerac! Or Molesworth as any fule kno!

29. Which historical figure do you most identify with? Artemisia Gentileschi who refused to be crushed out.

30. Who are your heroes in real life? My mum and lots of other women who have made me think, laugh and who I love deeply.

31. What are your favorite names? The names I make up for the characters in my stories.

32. What is it that you most dislike? Political expediency, hypocrisy and pragmatism. Oh and aubergines.

33. What is your greatest regret? That I was foolish enough to be born.

34. How would you like to die? From a piano with a stuffed aardvark falling out of a plane on top of me! Something that would make the 'mourners' struggle to keep a straight face.

35. What is your motto? Variously, it's Venite Speranza (Come Hope) or Lasciatemi Morire (Let me die) or Ad te Levavi animam meam (I lift up my soul to you)... depending on how I feel.

I'm not famous and I'm not sure what this says about me but I suppose that's for others to interpret.

What about you Madame, what did you put?
simona

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo Griffin, for being so sincere . I hope inded to meet you at the V&A in the spring.

No more war.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simona, I agree...when you meet the lad you'll understand more how very Griffinish are those answers...

and Griffin..I'm not putting it off...simply in the middle of angel production Wink ..in fact yours is the next envelope to be addressed..

somewhere in my answers will be mentioned a letter Brett Whiteley wrote to me in reply to one I wrote to him...

hugs to all ...
Barbara

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame you have a letter from Brett Whitely? Wow. I love his work. That is as exciting as my Mary Frances letter.
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara Darlin'...a small piece of paper...typed...signed..years back..one of those tiny envelopes..I'd seen an exhibition at The Art Gallery of NSW...and was thunderstruck and goosebumped and all...and wrote to let him know how my spirit had met the works..

talk about a full on spirit!

colourfilled hugs
Griffin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame,

You are more organised than me, I haven't sent a single card yet, I've had inspiration for stories strike and I'm trying to sort them out in my head so I can put them on paper. Then I've had the last few days of the University term... the occasional lecture to take notes for, but mostly just having to turn up, wait ten minutes and when nobody shows up, move on to the next one!! This coming week I shall sit down and try to write cards... or at the least send an e-card.

Actually I found this an interesting questionnaire, tho' I noticed that they aren't all the same. Proust himself got asked who his favourite poets were as well as his favourite authors. Not that it would have been any easier to answer, but I would have added painters and musicians to the list too. I suspect people's likes of different artists would have shown something of themselves as well as their favourite writers.

Years ago now, I was doing a literature course at Brighton Tech College. One of the books was Iris Murdoch's 'The Bell'. I was unconvinced by some of the teacher's arguments, so I looked up Murdoch in Who's Who and wrote to her asking her what the book meant to her as the author. She very kindly wrote back a letter in very untidy handwriting (she must have been more used to a typewriter!) telling me what she had meant when she was writing it.

I took the letter to class and told the teacher what she meant by the book and when he asked what my evidence was, I told him that I'd written to her and asked and that she'd told me! He was astonished and loved it! I still have that letter and one I wrote to Laurie Lee as well. Sadly no artist's letters, tho' I'd have loved a letter from Berthe Morisot or Artemisia Gentileschi... or Michelangelo... or that Da Vinci bloke!!
Barbara

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way cool Griff'.
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the joy of going to source...

I once did a fine linen sampler...a list of words...the last one ...I found a da Vinci font...charted the word on paper...and there is it...in fine cotton..as if de man himself had written it....

joy of going to source...
Griffin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't anyone else gonna have a go at the Proust Q's?

G'wan, it's fun!

Barbara, there's a portrait of Iris Murdoch at the National Portrait Gallery, somehow a world away from that little handwritten letter answering a student's questions. Yet that little letter is so precious in its fragility as she too was.

Yes, going to source and being able to admire and feel it right to the core of you. Madame, a sampler with Da Vinci's helicopter? Or with a Shakespeare sonnet?

I remember a sampler done by a little girl in the 1800's in red cotton on white cotton. It was the history of her life and so heartbreaking that of all the things in that exhibition, I would have had that more than anything. She was about 11 when she'd done the sampler and I wanted to know what happened to her after that - just to know that she found some happiness to heal her early hurts.

The history of objects... so intimately entwined with our own histories... a cup, a pair of shoes, a piece of jewellery... a box for tea or writing implements or games... We at least can speak and move, but those objects can only do what they are made for and suffer what we do with them.
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin...while I dooooooooooooo realise it's fun...for moi..at the moment...angel production Wink ..last minute madame...puddings to be made...all sorts of stuff...a darling friend with confronting news..all that..

so...a promise...it will be done...simply not yet Wink

as for the rest of you....well someone do it ..because we don't want an upset or...heaven forbid..an angry G!!!!

hugs always
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go Griff,

1. What is your idea of perfect happiness? Spending time with my husband and dog 
2. What is your greatest fear? No comment
3. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself? I hold back when I want to be fearless
4. What is the trait you most deplore in others? selfishness and closemindedness
5. Which living person do you most admire? Dad 
6. What is your greatest extravagance? I live well below my means, but if pressed I'd say travel
7. What is your current state of mind? tormented
8. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?I'll go with Griffin on this, patriotism. Rightousness is also highly overrated
9. On what occasion do you lie? When I get a crappy gift from a well meaning friend, after all their heart was in the right place. 
10. What do you most dislike about your appearance? cowlick
11. Which living person do you most despise? GWB, Rove, Rice, Cheney
12. What is the quality you most like in a man? the happy ability to converse with both men and women easily and equally. I live in an area where there is a lot of separation between the sexes. It's weird.
13. What is the quality you most like in a woman? I like women who have interests that don't include gossip.
14. Which words or phrases do you most overuse? No idea
15. What or who is the greatest love of your life? I married him
16. When and where were you happiest? My wedding day 
17. Which talent would you most like to have? musical
18. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? I'd be more fearless
19. What do you consider your greatest achievement? college graduation
20. If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be? myself
21. Where would you most like to live? in a little cottage in northern France.
22. What is your most treasured possession? Koaley, a stuffed koala puppet I got when I was three. 
23. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? This is something I have become aquainted with recently and am not ready to explore.
24. What is your favorite occupation? author
25. What is your most marked characteristic? sarcasm
26. What do you most value in your friends? understanding
27. Who are your favorite writers? Austen, Bulgakov, Cooper, Rowling, Sedaris, Vowell and Ol' Shakey 
28. Who is your hero of fiction? Lizzie Bennett
29. Which historical figure do you most identify with? That's a tough one.
30. Who are your heroes in real life? Dad, Brother, Sister and Helen Thomas 
31. What are your favorite names? Zooey and Mr. Barkey Von Schnauzer
32. What is it that you most dislike? politicians
33. What is your greatest regret? Don't believe in that 
34. How would you like to die? Extreme old age. It runs in the family.
35. What is your motto? Don't follow the pack. It's not really a motto, but then again, I don't like to do what I'm told.

"It's hot ham water."
gingerpale

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, such raw answers! Your present state of mind is "tormented" and you've recently become aware of something, that you don't want to talk or think about, but is your greatest fear...

And Griffin, your biggest regret is " foolish enough to be born" ???

I hope both of you are being *temporarily* affected by non-truths!
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mthinks it's hugs all 'round time...

warm and gentle hugs...

and glass raised to the anwerers...

Griffin...I promise...two puddings to be made today...6 hours each as you'd know...I promise Wink hey Griffin..how about 'within the week'...does that suit thy demands?

more hugs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: