Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

The C&Z Questionnaire!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Griffin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: The C&Z Questionnaire! Reply with quote

You've had the Proust Questionnaire... now, thanks to Clotilde...

The C & Z Questionnaire!!

Favorite newcomer in my recipe repertoire: Absorption Pasta and all the variants within!

Favorite DIY project: A handwritten novel of almost 500 pages... and that's just the first draft!!

Favorite new toy: a new cupcake tin for making financiers.

Favorite new piece of cutlery: Er, now there you have me! I don't have one... yet!

Favorite new ingredient: fennel - with salmon

Favorite new cookbook: Chocolate and Zucchini, but I'm thinking of others too.

Favorite new twist on an ingredient: Don't have one yet... but working on it.

Favorite new chance given to an old dish: roast chicken - Indian style!

Favorite technique: pulling financiers out of the oven and shutting the oven door with elbow and panache.

Favorite new pairing: turkish orange cake with friends.

Favorite gastronomic meal: dessert at The Griffin pub, Loughborough... blackberry and apple crumble with cream.

Favorite brush with a star: meeting Clotilde Dusoulier.

Favorite escapist experience: the Haute Couture and Millais exhibitions in London.

Favorite chocolate of the year: Green and Black's Maya Gold.

Favorite pastry of the year: tarte framboise in London, tho' forget where.

Favorite addition to the Parisian landscape: the news of Guy La Griffe!
Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Griffin that Guy is my favourite new addition to the Parisian streetscape too!

When I told him he just crossed his paws, sighed and gave an inscrutable look - the type that only a cat can give....

My answers

recipe: fennel and pastis soup (and I hate!! pastis so you know it must be good!!)

DIY: painting the view from our windows

Toy: hmmm, tough one, could be my le creuset coccotte, though it depends on the day

cutlery: my laguiole steak knives

Ingredient: verveine

Cookbook: heaps, but I am quite taken with an old cooking diary I found at present, love to read the comments and handwritten recipes

New twist: chicken breasts smeared with wasabi then pan seared

New/old dish: stuffing, but with chestnuts and fresh cranberries added and cooked/served as a terrine - much prettier

technique: being able to deflect the cat off the counter tops with one hand, without missing a beat in what I am doing while cooking

New Pairing: fennel and verveine

Gastro meal: too tough to decide on one

Star: chatting with the actors and crew on a recent filming here in Montmartre.... no names will be dropped, but let me say I was in lust (swoon)

Escapist experience: floating in the ocean in Croatia - bliss!

Chocolate: too tough really, but possibly a truffle from Moeder Babelutte (belgian) or a chocolate au pineau from Bernard Boutinet

Pastry: has to be a fruit tart from Les Petits Mitrons in Montmartre

Addition to streetscape.... my new baby - a bengal-cross-domestic cat called Guy la Griffe (or Guillaume le Conquerant as he has stolen my heart completely) too cute for words and too intelligent for his own good.
msue

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favorite recipe newcomer: Homemade English muffins.

Favorite DIY culinary project: Making spice rubs for holiday gifts.

Favorite DIY non-culinary project: Learning how to knot pearls (and getting good at it!).

Favorite new toy: My iPod – so fun to rock out to music or listen to wonderful food podcasts while cooking.

Favorite (very) new ingredient: (thanks, Clotilde): pomegranate molasses.

Favorite new cookbook: Of course, C&Z!! Did anyone else publish a cookbook this year?

Favorite new twist on an ingredient: All the wonderful salts I've discovered!

Favorite new chance given to a new dish: Finally mastering paper-thin pizza crust that is perfectly crisp, with a cracker-like crunch in each bite.

Favorite technique: Extractions (vanilla & lavender).

Favorite new pairing: Lavender and achiote paste.

Favorite gastronomic meal: @ Lola's in Dallas. So wonderful. Also Tropical Dreams Ice Cream in Hawi, Hawaii - decadent, and calories don't count on vacation.

Favorite brush with a star: No in-person star brushings this year.

Favorite escapist experience: A solitary moment watching the sun set in Kona.

Favorite chocolate of the year: Anything very, very dark, especially those decadent French chocolates discovered at a nearby shop.

Favorite bit of heaven: Brioche aux Amandes, Poire & Chocolat.

Favorite unexpected treat: Montagne Bleue tea

Favorite cop-out: The prepared soups at our local chain grocery are perfect for dinner after a too-long work day.

Favorite addition to the Paris landscape: There must be a dream cloud floating over Paris, having just set me down in a lovely cafe where I am drinking a warm mug of cafe au lait.
David

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin--you must, MUST, must post your roast chicken Indian Style in the recipe box!! Please!!
Griffin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er, actually David, my dad did the chicken, but it was very good. We also got lucky in that it was a good bird... not, as my brother would say, that being good helped it much!!

Still, having consulted venerable aged father... it depends on the size of the bird, but...

one teaspoon of salt
half a teaspoon of pepper
finely chopped chunk of fresh ginger
three cloves of garlic, finely chopped
one de-seeded chilli finely chopped
one teaspoon powdered coriander
one teaspoonpowdered cumin
one teaspoon garam masala (this can be bought ready made as it's a mix of spices)
a pinch of turmeric
Lemon juice a little at a time to help make a paste of the spices.

His measurements tend to be on the 'very loose' side. But, mix the ingredients together with the lemon juice to make a paste.

Loosen the skin without breaking it and rub the paste between the meat and the skin and a little on top of the skin too. The rest is cook the bird as usual according to it's size.

I hope that helps, let me know how it goes. I should add that my mother rarely used precise measurements, she'd been taught with such measurements as 'a bit of' or 'a little' usually less than lots and got used to cooking like that. It did not dawn on her that precision measuring might possibly be an issue for those of us who did not know how much was 'a little of'!!

Our local farmer's market had venison and I was going to pass it by because I didn't know what to do with it. But the man selling it told me. A slow cooked casserole with chunky cut veggies, some herbs and pepper and wine to cook it in. Cooked for over an hour so that all the juices mix and the flavours intensify. I am SO going to try that.

I also intend to get a shoulder of lamb and try Clotilde's way with it, using herb paste.

Quote:
Star: chatting with the actors and crew on a recent filming here in Montmartre.... no names will be dropped, but let me say I was in lust (swoon)

What???!!! No dropped names?? Not even names gently placed?! Hmm, you were in lust eh? So was Seen Canary involved then?! Or was it Jude Law?... Matt Damon? Pierce Brosnan (best Bond since Connery I think)?

Quote:
technique: being able to deflect the cat off the counter tops with one hand, without missing a beat in what I am doing while cooking

Very Happy You do know that it is in fact his food... even if you were cooking it for yourself?!! Mum used to use a careful elbow to keep our Manfred off. It's amazing how big their eyes go too!!
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fave newcomer: fennel salad

Fave DIY: the crazy melange of decoupage, collage and pop I call my art.

Fave new toy: vertical Japanese spiral slicer. I've been wanting the precious for so long and now that it's mine no nasty little Hobbit is goingt to take it.

New cutlery: For me it's a cutlery accessory, my new Wusthof santoku sharpner. Usually I would scoff at this extra gadget, but I really like it.

Fave new ingredient: it's a tie between cardoons and Thai black rice

Fave new cookbook: Three way tie, C&Z of course, the revised Pike Plance Market Cookbook, (it makes me cry) and my new albeit old Tom Douglas cookbook.

Fave twist: Too hard.....maybe fennel raw. I used to hate it raw, but now I'm an addict. Or possibly oats cooked risotto style.

Fave new chance: mac and cheese with gorgonzola and cranberries.

Fave technique: Too many stars it the sky

Fave new pairing: Iberico ham and pears with a bone dry sparkling wine.

Fave gastro meal: Either the EXCELLENT meal I had at Aquitaine in Boston or my Home Food experience in Rome.

Fave brush with a star: On my birthday I saw Flavor Flav, clock and all. I was totally stunned, he really wears the clock on a daily basis. I also encountered Nick Lachey coming out of a 7-11 with a case of Miller on his shoulder. There was also the Hilton sighting that made me change lanes. None of these were very exciting though, I am still waiting for the moment I spot Julie Andrews out in Sag Harbor......I love my Julie.

Fave escape: Boston, I got there every chance I could this year.

Fave chocolate: Dagoba anything...except their chai one. Usually it would be up my alley, this was just too much.

Favorite pastry: Mike's Pastry's florentine cannoli, it has ruined me for regular cannoli

Favorite addition to the Paris landscape: No idea, my trip was cancelled. I hope to reschedule and find out soon.

"It's hot ham water."
Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Griffin, all french actors........

I need to talk to your Mum I think. This is the first cat that I have ever had who WILL NOT stay off the counters. We have tried everything. I did read on a website that bengal cats are very determined and punishing them can make them more determined to have their own way when and how they want.

He is so gorgeous though that I cannot stay angry with him for long. Rolling Eyes Does that big eyed look - you know like Puss in Boots in Shrek - and I have to look away or I will laugh. Then he smooges me and purrs like a V8 till I pat him or pick him up....... yes I know, I have sucker written all over me... sigh Embarassed

BTW, the chicken sounds great. Might try that next time.

Erin, love the vertical spiral gadget.... watch out for those hobbits, they ruins it......

msue, I am curious about how you have learnt to restring pearls... do tell please. One of my favourite things and I have more than a girl really needs, but I just love them so much.
msue

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie, pearl knotting is a real pleasure.

I learned the basics in a two-hour class at a shop that sells all sorts of wonderful beads. All you need are the right materials and tools (not that many needed for knotting), and a bit of imagination. When I found out that getting my pearls restrung at a jeweler would cost more than $5 per inch, I decided to do it myself! It takes a bit of practice to get really competent at it, but once you have the knack for it you can go wild designing whatever you like.

If you have a beading store nearby, they're nearly sure to offer classes or could direct you to a teacher.

And there is no such thing as too many pearls! There is always room for just one more strand. Wink
gingerpale

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a very small amount of beading (curtains for a dollhouse!) but ooh I was drawn to it right away. The beads, the variety, irresistable like candy, bought too much of course..
It's funny to have patience for that kind of thing, but no patience at all for so much else!
bainst

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favorite newcomer in my recipe repertoire: Anything I can cook, now that I'm back in the states.

Favorite DIY project: Organizing my living space to make a utilitarian room look homey.

Favorite new toy: My cellphone, I know it's sad but I figured out how to put in a memory chip and add pictures, music and my own ringtones. I just added a whip crack. Laughing

Favorite new piece of cutlery: Er, now there you have me! I don't have one... yet!

Favorite new ingredient: Haven't started experimenting yet.

Favorite new cookbook: Chocolate and Zucchini, but I'm thinking of others too.

Favorite new twist on an ingredient: Don't have one yet... but working on it.

Favorite new chance given to an old dish: Still searching, but if anyone knows about new takes on mac&cheese, I'm all ears.

Favorite technique: If I can ever perfect flipping an omelette, I would be estatic.

Favorite new pairing: beef and roasted garlic cloves.

Favorite gastronomic meal: escargot and fresh baguette, beef bourguignonne, finished with a molten chocolate cake. Little piece of heaven on earth.

Favorite brush with a star: Meeting Steven Spielberg during the 60th Anniversary of D-Day on Omaha Beach.

Favorite escapist experience: Shopping on Saville Row and Bond Street in London.

Favorite chocolate of the year: A tie between La Maison du Chocolate truffles and Sambirano 75% cocoa bar. To die for.

Favorite pastry of the year: Molten Chocolate Cake at ETC, ETC in New York

Favorite addition to the Parisian landscape: Not Sure, I haven't been in the City of Lights for over two years.

Last edited by bainst on Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:01 pm; edited 6 times in total
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bainst, as requested:

From Hayden's Lakefront Grill here in Tualiatin, Oregon:

Dungeness Crab Macaroni and Cheese

1 lb fresh Penne pasta
1 tablespoon Olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
2 pints heavy cream
Pinch freshly ground nutmeg
salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
1 cup shredded Tillamook cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
12 ounces cleaned Dungeness crab meat
1 cup panko bread crumbs

Boil fresh pasta 3 - 4 minutes or until done. In saute pan, all oil and garlic, saute until garlic is softened. Add heavy cream and nutmeg. Bring to a boil and reduce until thickened, at least by half.
Preheat the oven to broil.
Add cooked and drained pasta to cream and continue to cook until the cream is thick and adheres to the penne. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and add cheeses and crab meat, gently combining. Pour into a buttered baking dish, top with Panko and broil until gently toasted on top.

(From my OTHER new favorite cookbook this year: A Chef's Bounty, Celebrating Oregon's Cuisine)

Eat, Bubbie, EAT!
David

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin! Many thanks to you and the aged parental unit! sounds fabu and I have most of the ingredients. Next free range chicken I see is going to get plastered with spices!

bainst--whip crack!!! lol For more variations on mac and cheese go back to the early days of these fora and you will find a thread called "comfort foods" which I believe has a wealth of variations on mac and cheese. Oh and we should definitely get together for a French night!! Your selected gastronomic feast is right up my alley!
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jen,
You live in Tualiatin! I'm originally an Oregonian and have family all over that area..... I love Oregon almost as much as my beloved Washington. Who am I kidding, just as much. Do you ever get into the Portland Saturday Market?
I should stay on topic, shouldn't I? Your mac & cheese sounds great I'm going to have to check that book out. I'd sell my soul for Tillamook cheese.

"It's hot ham water."
gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, my SO Rich and I lived in Beaverton, Oregon around about 1976-78 ---all was well until he could no longer bear the moisture. I remember him telling me "...even when it isn't raining, if you put your hand on a tree it's wet." He lives to be outdoors, so we moved to Missoula Montana (a University town and very nice place to live) but for job and $ reasons are now in Salt Lake City. (Which ain't bad, no matter what you might hear!)

But I remember how green everything was in Portland, always!
bainst

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the ideas for mac&cheese. Especially Erin and Knifethrower. I can't wait to get my own kitchen so I can try them out. And David, anytime you want to try out some French cuisine, just let me know. I'll bring my fork and appetite. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: