Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Ever used a personal shopper?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's to a glorious twinship, or several as the case may be! Bless you all-and bless the tartan clad as well. Don't the Irish use Tartans as well??
gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to confuse things, I think the "sturdy eggshell coloured..fabric" is called muslin here in the US--
and calico is colored, usually a small floral print.

Too bad we can't all fall back on Esperanto. (I took a class once--can't.remember.one.word.)
Nicki

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol...a third twin??

I agree, DO NOT ATTEMPT mini, and do it in calico. Try and get a weight thats similar to the weight that you want the final garment, so that you get the tension right on the machine and you don't have to fiddle about with it too much.

I watched a channel4 programme where the comedian Hardeep Singh Kohli went out to find the perfect kilt to suit him, then he did a comedy set in Edinburgh wearing it...maybe it's on Youtube somewhere?

Interesting fact; Burberry tried to sue a guy in Cornwall for ripping off their tartan. (Bizarrely, he was making jackets for ferrets.) Turns out that they couldn't stop him from doing it. Apparently, the Burberry tartan is so similar to a clan tartan, so they can't put a patent on it. Can you believe that there is a Burberry empire based on a design they don't even own?!
Barbara

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..but for me Griffin it sure is Sean.
Nicki

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aargh, that is confusing! Muslin is cheesecloth, dyed in any colour. Calico is definately cream
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Nicki, here is a picture of what we (in US) call a calico cat--

http://memorymakersphotography.net/cocoproof.jpg

because it has many colors in spots! What is this kitty called in the UK?
Griffin

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. Ok, I will go straight for the Griffin sized version then!! Of course with all that fabric I may very well faint/panic/retreat to a corner to weep... or all three!!!! Shocked

I had thought that the paper versions would help me see how the pieces fitted together first so that I could then go ahead and make the big version without wasting cloth. But ok, I'll save up and get some calico/muslin instead. As far as I know, calico is slightly stiffer than muslin, which is a thinner cloth.

Judy,

I have about three cashmere shawls which are lovely. One my mum gave me after a visit to India. I don't have any paisley ones tho'. I do have a lovely book on the Cashmere shawl and some of those are quite intricately and superbly embroidered.

David,

You're my 'second family' twin brother then! And Debbie is my almost twin sister... I like tea, but mostly have coffee or hot chocolate... or mocha.

gingerpale,

In the UK that gorgeous cat (I want one now!) would be almost tortoiseshell. Tho' if he was near the kitchen that kind of cat would be called 'Oigerroffthefishyou!' ... this is of course a technical term!! Wink
Nicki

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin, trust the fellow English-person (no disrespect meant to anyone else!) Use calico; cream/oatmeal flecked cotton fabric which should be no more than £3.50/metre. You can buy it in Ikea as someone suggested. Don't even consider using (English) muslin - I wouldn't touch this fabric with a bargepole for clothes. What are you thinking of making the final coat out of? Make sure you buy the appropriate thread for the fabric; the reason as I mention it is that a heavy fabric might need a sturdier thread than calico. The lovely ladies in fabric shops usually can't wait to advise you!

Make sure you do it asap! And put up a photo for us to see Smile
Griffin

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicki,

I would definitely use calico for a first version coat rather than muslin. The weight is better. Tho' if I was making a Regency period dress for a friend I'd use muslin and silk or synthetic silk similar to the originals.

I'm hoping to do the final version in wool, either black or pillar box red. If it's black I may even embroider it a little similar to originals. If red, I will naturally resort to big brassy buttons!

I will definitely use a thicker thread for the final coat as I like a heavy coat. Tho' I may try and do a coat in heavy silk when I know more about what I'm doing. That will do for summer events.

It's likely to be a while tho', I have all these other things I have to deal with first!!! Oh how typical of life... or even liff.
swirlingnotions

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually DID do the personal shopper thing last year at Macy's flagship store in SF--it was a blast! I'm a horrible, horrible shopper and I just wanted someone to be able to help me find basics--cool black pants, a couple nice tops that I can wear to business meetings, a pair of funkier casual pants--that sort of stuff.

When I was complaining to a friend of mine how hopeless my shopping skills were, she mentioned that she used to work at Macy's and that their personal shopping appointments are free. So I set one up.

First of all, you go to this lovely, secluded area with giant dressing rooms and comfy chairs and meet with your personal shopper (have to call ahead and make an appointment) about what you're looking for, what your style is, what your budget is, etc. Then she takes you around the store looking at things, snagging things from hangers all over the place (and carrying them for you, thank you) and sends them all back to the giant, private dressing rooms.

You try things on, she gives opinions, she sends out for other sizes and maybe a pair of shoes that would look nice with that, she gets you some lemon water to help with the fatigue, etc. And, you get to use the giant, private dressing room all day long if you want to, if you want to shop more on your own post-appointment.

All in all, it was great. My only thing is, I wish I could find a personal shopper who could take me to more boutiquey places than Macy's, and really help me put together my own 'look' that fits me. Haven't found that yet. And . . . I'm still not someone who likes to shop. Wink

{ www.swirlingnotions.com }
Griffin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, maybe I should be a personal shopper! I love costume and I love it when somebody wears clothes that just show them off perfectly. They don't have to all look like Kate Moss or even the gorgeous Cindy Crawford... sigh!... ahem.

It's a matter of just knowing what you look right in and wearing that. Swirlingnotions, I would love to personal shop for you. Trust me, I'm an art historian!!!
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swirlingnotions said
Quote:
my own 'look' that fits me. Haven't found that yet.

ah yes, the look, the personal style, the signature recipe, the home decor that says "you", the flair/panache with which one entertains. I've never achieved it. I strive for having my hair and teeth brushed for all social occasions!
wiangube

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Acadiana,

I've used something very similar to a personal shopper, if you're talking about a person who gets something special for you. If you're, then give them a try:

http://www.jildorshoes.com/category.cfm/hurl/Boots/catID=22677
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: