Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

The C&Z Questionnaire!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, I missed wishing you happy birthday on time...but happy birthday anyway!

Griffin's chicken is becoming an international meme.
Griffin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only in this wonderful place that you get the Poulet de Muriel and the Poulet du Papa du Griffin!!

I like to think that the very thought of Chocolate & Zucchini is memetic in itself. Clotilde - the Meme!
woodstocker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin wrote:
It's only in this wonderful place that you get the Poulet de Muriel and the Poulet du Papa du Griffin!!

It is so incredibly fustrating to not be able to try either of these dishes at the present! I'm living with my dad and step-mom, both of whom would take one sniff and turn their noses. Alas, my dad is a plain mashed potato kind of guy. But soon! Soon I will be at my mom's who has er, much more expanded tastebuds. Roast chicken and crusty bread is my absolute favorite meal! Followed by coconut cake, of course!

My step-mom's reaction to scones (thanks to Clotilde for the rec. on Breakfast, Lunch and Tea)- biscuits with raisins. What's so special about them? (as I gobbled down another with clotted cream and preserves Wink )
Clearly it is not the lovelorn sufferer who seeks solace in chocolate, but rather the chocolate-deprived individual, who, desperate, seeks in mere love a pale approximation of bittersweet euphoria. Sandra Boynton.
woodstocker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is not too late, I would add my "favorite things" to the list. (It is midterm break- the time of year my brain turns off for 6 weeks!)

New recipe: pasta with sundried tomatoes, caramelized onions and mushrooms.
DIY project: decorating the mountain of Christmas cookies I made
New toy: my 1st car, er..you probably meant kitchen related..my KitchenAid stand mixer!
New cutlery: kitchen shears
New ingredient: sweet curry powder
New cookbook: C&Z, of course
New twist: Cauliflower pureed into a dip/spread
New chance on an old dish: grilled fruit instead of fruit salad
Fave technique: splatch-roasting (I don't think I spelled that correctly)
New pairing: curry powder and pineapple
Gastronomic meal: Lola's in Seattle
Brush with star: cooking demo w/ Anthony Bourdain at school
Escapist experience: taking a road trip with just my mom
Chocolate: does finding out that I want to go here count? (found viz David Lebovitz)
Pastry: Coconut Cream Pie from Lola
Addition to Parisian landscape: me in July '08!
Clearly it is not the lovelorn sufferer who seeks solace in chocolate, but rather the chocolate-deprived individual, who, desperate, seeks in mere love a pale approximation of bittersweet euphoria. Sandra Boynton.
Griffin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodstocker,

You could always make the chicken when they aren't in, then make mashed potato with it. He can have the potato and you can have the chicken!

Seriously, once it's made, you just give him a taste and then let him decide if he likes it or not. He can have it with his potatoes and with the stir-fried carrots and zucchini and a little black pepper. The chicken doesn't taste overwhelmingly spicy, just a little flavoured so as to jazz it up a little. He may like it so much it will become part of the repertoire. And once he's tried it, if he likes it, it may give him the change of mind/confidence to try and broaden his tastes.

My dad only ever usually cooks lamb and pork and then in a pressure cooker. But I insisted on the roast chicken so he Indian styled it as he knew how.

I did get him with the Turkish Orange Cake too - he sniffed at the thought so I made it anyway and he tried it and found he liked it.
woodstocker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griff- good idea on making the chicken while he's out. And I do think that he would eat a nibble if I went through the effort. I think he does this (even if he "knows" he won't like something) because most of the things I make fall under the dessert category. It's something of a compromise b/w the 2 of us. I'm one for "two bites Dad, two bites" while he looks at the peas on his plate. PEAS for goodness sake. Zucchini is a foreign word to him, along with broccoli "trees," and anything else remotely nutritious. I swear the man would live on coffee (lots of sugar and only whole milk) and ground beef, with a white starch. Oh and a side of coffee.

There are ways around his persnickitiness though. Involve beef, a German name, or oatmeal raisin cookies. Or any combination of the 3 a la sauerbrauten.

It's a bad day when you have to bribe a 60 y.o man with dessert so he eats his vegetables. Evil or Very Mad
Donna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Woodstocker, is your bold palate a reaction to his limited one? Or is your mom an adventurous cook?

I would go nuts living with a picky eater! My husband and son both will eat anything and both love to cook! Whew!

I have a friend who routinely cooks three dinners - one for her son, one for her daughter and one for herself and her husband! I think I'd be eating out a lot! Rolling Eyes
woodstocker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna wrote:
So Woodstocker, is your bold palate a reaction to his limited one? Or is your mom an adventurous cook?

I rather think it's a combination of the two Donna. When I was little (read: continues to this day) I would "cook." Throw together whatever is in the house maybe buying a couple of things, like apples for an apple pie, and my dad would dutifully clean up the mess. Now I clean up too. Wink So it was a long, sometimes painful, process of finding out that I like different flavors, what worked and what didn't.

At my mom's house it was a different story. She had 3 kids to feed and juggle along with everything else. She loves flavors though. To this day she adores Greek food from when she was a teen and her best friend's Greek mom made a pull-out-all the stops Greek dinner. (the husband was a prof at Bard College) When I first bought the C&Z book, I made the sundried tomato/chorizo cake and it was gone the next day. Made the same thing at my dad's house and it sat b/c I was the only one that liked it. Sad My maternal grandparents definitely have influenced my mom's style though. 6 kids and shoe-string budget but on Christmas and bday's they got to pick any meal they wanted when financially feasible. My mom's pick was duck a l'orange.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodstocker, "curry powder and pineapple"
please elaborate!
woodstocker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gingerpale, the curry powder and pineapple was not my idea, although they're excellent together! My mom and I had lunch one day at a cafe where they added both to their chicken salad along with golden raisins, carrot, chopped apple and more than likely some other veggies. All was tossed in a mayo based dressing and served on a yummy roll. Trick is to start with a sweet curry (I use "chicken curry" from Market Spice at Pike Place Market) and a small amount. I make my dressing separate then add it to the salad ingredients, so if you do it that way remember there will be other flavors involved!

Personally, I wouldn't have thought of the combo in a million years, but as curried chicken salad is great and pineapple in cole slaw and other mayo-based things is great... Perhaps when I get to the Land of Perpetual Grilling Season (aka Florida) I'll try grilling pineapple with a little curry powder rubbed on. I'm sure curry would work with other fruits (peaches come to mind) as the sugars and freshness compliment the complexities of a good mix. Don't think a spicy curry would be good tho... Confused Or would it...those crazy kids add scotch bonnets to everything!
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am drinking a cup of Market Spice's signature tea right now.......I love that shop.

"It's hot ham water."
Barbara

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belated birthday greetings David. I've been off line until today and have lots of forum comments to catch up on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: