Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Provincetown and Boston
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tschuetz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you found my blog useful! I hope you enjoy your visit and definitely feel free to email me directly if you come to town again and want other recommendations!
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David! I'm glad you're still planning a trip South. Have to add my voice - the Harvard museums are wonderful. And they're a manageable size too.

For eats, the list is long. North End is the Italian neighborhood - dinner there is always fine but IMO the people-watching's the real draw so I usually just go for coffee & cookies.

Tangerino in Charlestown is a real Moroccan treat & I've heard great things about Dali in Cambridge, though I've still yet to try it myself!
tschuetz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tangierino is one of my favorite restaurants! Here is a link to my review of it: http://bostonfoodandwhine.blogspot.com/2007/10/rocking-casbah.html

Also, both Dali's in Cambridge and Tapeo's on Newbury Street in the Back Bay are owned by the same family and have the same menu... which is great. I highly recommend any of these places!
ripley

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get over to Cambridge there are some great restaurants there as well

Royal East is a great Chinese place (their pea tendrils special is delightful and they have great seafood) on Main street just outside Central Square.

Also just outside Central Square is an amazing tiny mediterranean restaurant called Baraka Cafe (80 1/2 Pearl St.)

The Helmand, actually in Somerville (near Lechmere on the Green Line) as a fantastic Afghan restaurant.

and of course, don't worry about the weather and eat lots and lots of Ice Cream!! (a boston wintertime tradition)
Toscanini's (central square), Christina's (inman square somerville), Herrells (Harvard Square) all deserve serious comparing and contrasting, and there's also J.P. Licks and Emack & Bolio's (on newbury street, Boston)
David

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to be HUGE fun! Thanks gang!!
Rachel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do realise we expect a full report, don't you? Wink
Donna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David, I can give you some recommendations for P'town. Sorry it's taken me so long to post, but I've been preoccupied! Wink

Front Street Restaurant is right on Commercial Street and the food is fabulous. When I looked it up on Trip Advisor, there were two complaints about bad service - but we were there in August, the week before Labor day and had wonderful service - so who knows? Great food!

The other good place that's open in Feb. is Whaler's Inn. It's a great lunch spot, a good bar and the food at night is quite good as well - a little more top drawer at night.

One more spot - Ross's Grill, again on Commercial Street. I am not sure if it's open in the winter - but the food is good if it is!

I still think you should book a flight to Paris! But if you must go to Boston & P'town, have fun! Where are you staying in Provincetown?
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot about the North End restos. It is a place to be careful in, because there are a lot of touristy joints, but also a few gems. One of which has a cinghale (sp?) with penne that I dream about. That one is called Lucca.

"It's hot ham water."
David

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for the P-town tips---the only place I knew I wanted to go is a Portugese place on a side street whose name escapes me entirely but know I'll be able to find it---it's local and standard. I'm staying at
www.aeriehouse.com click on "Guesthouse" on the left side and check out "Room 2", a lovely room with a reading chair and lamp, harbour view, and a functioning fireplace!!!! (and get this---off season rate $70/day)

In Boston I'm at www.463beacon.com right in the thick of old Victorian Back Bay--it's a 5 story brownstone and looks to be quite cozy---and again travelling at this time of year the rate is exceptional! Which means of course splurging on food won't hurt at all!

Lucca for Italian then Erin! Thank you---I'll be taking notes from this thread for future reference as well as this really is just a quick little trip.

And yes I will report back after. The trip is Feb 19-25.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, your trip sounds fantastic! I'd love to be back in P'Town now, although it's probably a bit colder than when we were there last September. We spent the weekend there with a friend right after we reluctantly left you and Swan at Les Halles.

We ate at Napis one night - great ambience, service and food.

Have a great time.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
David

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Judy! Further research has led me to believe that the Portugesish place on a side street is likely Napi's---so glad you enjoyed it too! The Front Street is closed this time of year and I cannot for the life of me find a reference for The Whaler's Inn. I've made reservations for dinner so far at the Cafe at Crowne Point Inn and Spa and at The Mews. I definitely see raw oysters and lobster ravioli in my future.

have booked both Aquitaine and Hamersley's Bisto in Boston.

Gosh this is fun!
David

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just thrilled to be able to say that I will be meeting sweetbabyjames on Friday for lunch at Baraka Cafe in Cambridge and on Saturday I am going to have the pleasure of having lunch with cigalechanta at Le Bouchee! This is icing on the cake or la cerise sur la sundae!
Griffin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm just thrilled to be able to say that I will be meeting sweetbabyjames on Friday for lunch at Baraka Cafe in Cambridge and on Saturday I am going to have the pleasure of having lunch with cigalechanta at Le Bouchee!

Woohoo!... ahem, spoilt, spoilt, spoilt that's what you are!! Of course, full reports will be awaited (translation: there is homework you know!) Sigh, if only Cambridge UK would intersect with your Cambridge... then I could have joined you both!

Now you will remember not to take them home with you afterwards won't you David?! Not, admittedly that I think they'd mind but still. Enjoy it all and then come to Paris in April... *thinks* I really have got to try and get to Paris in April... somehow!!!!
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin, that Cambridge crossing idea sounds very Un Lun Dun. Smile

If only!
ripley

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
I'm just thrilled to be able to say that I will be meeting sweetbabyjames on Friday for lunch at Baraka Cafe in Cambridge and on Saturday I am going to have the pleasure of having lunch with cigalechanta at Le Bouchee! This is icing on the cake or la cerise sur la sundae!

fantastic! Baraka had a seafood Boulliabasse with saffron broth when I was there that was sublime.. but everything I tasted was very good indeed. Don't neglect the rosewater lemonade!

have a lovely time!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: